Doing the steps

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: Doing the steps

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:47 am

The Steps happen, when they happen.

Of course. We are here to help the newcomer realize the truth. To help them realize that the mind plays a significant part. If you flip over to page 92 thats what they direct us to do. In two places it talks about how the will power is non existent when it comes to the 1st drink. Yet we tell the newcomer to "not to take a drink" and come back for the next meeting. As if he has a choice. We could atleast warn them about the mental faculty.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:49 am

Also, if I was struggling on one of them, I had to revisit the one before that Step.

That is me too! I was balking at 8 and knowing a little something (lol) from my last trip through the Steps, I went back to heavy focus on the 7th. Finally I got honest with my sponsor and she sent me back to 6! A week later, as I told me about my "amazing progress in self awareness" she sent me back to Step 2!!! :lol:

I may be able to move forward with Step 8 now... after the holiday... I remember saying something like that when I was still drinking... but this time I mean business lol - oops a BB quote! I had better set some time aside to pray huh? :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:34 am

Tosh wrote:
Personally, I think some folk make a meal of them and slow the process down by turning it into a Big Book study. There's plenty of time to study the book once we've recovered.

My feelings exactly.
There's no reason why, with help if necessary, the steps can't be worked through fairly quickly. Incidentally, by "quickly", I do not mean "in a rush".

Personally, I still feel the occasional need to do a Step 4&5 again, through life. Initially, however, just get through them. Follow the instructions. Read the book and do it.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:55 pm

I find the biggest challenge is getting across Step 1. I need to understand the condition I'm recovering from, else I'm starting my journey from the wrong place.

What happens when you're on an island and follow directions to get to the other side, yet start from a different place to where those directions would have you start? You end up all at sea.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby D'oh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:44 pm

What happens when you're on an island and follow directions to get to the other side, yet start from a different place to where those directions would have you start? You end up all at sea.

But, if you walk the shoreline, you will eventually get there. And imagine, the scenery along the way!

Trudging the Road, is the Happy Part. The Destiny part is yet to be revealed.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:04 pm

D'oh wrote:

But, if you walk the shoreline, you will eventually get there. And imagine, the scenery along the way!

You might. Or you might get bogged down somewhere, eaten by cannibals, walk into a dead-end and have to double-back.

I know where the Steps go, and they're the only route-map on offer. If you choose a different path, of course that's your choice. It's just not one I can guide you along as I have not taken it.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby D'oh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Blue Moon wrote:
D'oh wrote:

You might. Or you might get bogged down somewhere, eaten by cannibals, walk into a dead-end and have to double-back.

I know where the Steps go, and they're the only route-map on offer. If you choose a different path, of course that's your choice. It's just not one I can guide you along as I have not taken it.

I once heard it said "You can take the Steps anyway you wish, but chances are if you go from the 3rd to the 12th, you'll rip the crotch out of your pants."

It doesn't mean everyone has to lead only with their right foot. The Happiness is the Trudging of the Road, not the Destiny.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:36 am

I took a suggestion.

While in my first week of rehab someone suggested (since I'm a real man and can't meditate) that I should read page 86 every night before sleeping.

It was the first action I took that produced tangible results. Nevermind that it is part if steps 10 and 11. Nevermind that doing so means I 'took the steps out of order.'

What worked for me might be a waste of time for others but that is what I did and the results were tangible and almost immediate. Since I like immediate gratification . . . .it helped. :-)
1Peter5:10
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:27 am

Think what matters is that the deep realization and surrender in step one. Perhaps thats what matters. Thats why they say, step one is the most important step.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby lukaskupasz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 am

There are a lot of things alcoholics can do to fully work Step One?
lukaskupasz
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:30 am

Yeah, keep doing what they are doing. At one point, they either awaken or kick the bucket. But when they come in, hopefully they are awake to see that there is a solution to overcome alcoholism.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Greywolf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 am

lukaskupasz wrote:There are a lot of things alcoholics can do to fully work Step One?

In my very early days, I was at a meeting where Step 1 was the topic. I was going to a lot of meetings, not drinking and was having a difficult time with the first Step. Someone shared how he worked the first step. When I went home I tried it.

I took a look at my record with drinking from when I started until very early in the morning of the day I had my last drink. After thoroughly reviewing my record with drinking, I was able to admit I was powerless over alcohol -- that my life had become unmanageable.

I then knew I could take the first step. My record with drink is something that this addled alcoholic could see. No thinking was required.

I didn't have to confront that I had denied being powerless over alcohol for years. Admitting something that I had strenuously denied had been difficult. Like the movie ticket used to say, "Admit One." Admitting, i.e., letting in, my drinking record was not difficult after seeing it clearly for myself. I admitted that I was powerless over alcohol -- that my life had become unmanageable.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:11 pm

lukaskupasz wrote:There are a lot of things alcoholics can do to fully work Step One?

This is what I did...
We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed. We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. BB pg 30

... we had to
fully
concede to
our innermost selves
that we were alcoholics

I meditated on that idea. I searched for my innermost self in that meditation (for me: that painful place where the shame lives) and I told my innermost self, "I am an alcoholic. I have a disease. A dis - ease. I cannot ever drink safely. I never know what will happen when I drink, except that I always want more." (Read The Doctor's Opinion)

I was ready. I saw the illness. I was partially relieved of the shame of drinking - that I never truly had control over it. Like I could not control a rash from poison ivy. I had a disease not a moral problem.

I needed a solution for a disease. I needed AA if I wanted long term sobriety.

And I saw the insanity of it all and I saw that I could look at whether AA or an HP could restore me to sanity.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Step 1 took me about 15 years of drinking, plus a few weeks in AA getting to understand Step 1.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Tosh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:07 am

I think there's two types of understanding with regards Step 1 (and probably a lot of other spiritual stuff):

1. A 'heart understanding' (heart knowledge), which goes along the lines of 'I'm f***ed' (apologies for the swearing) and really knowing that. This is what normally gets us into A.A..

2. An intellectual understanding, which we get in A.A. (periods of sobriety won't turn us into a normal drinker, self knowledge won't keep us sober, phenomenon of craving coupled with the mental obsession, etc).
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

PreviousNext

Return to The 12 Steps