step 6 and 7

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

step 6 and 7

Postby CP07 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi all,

I am 28months sober from an opiod addiction. I feel really good, but I haven't had much luck in the sponsor business. I have completed step 6 with my old sponsor and now I feel lost. I have listed all my character defects and what the opposite of each one is and I've said the 7th step prayer, meditating, praying, going to meetings. any advice on how to proceed? I go to therapy a couple times a month and my therapist always wants to know what my sponsor is having me do...but basically my sponsor kind of scares me and we really just talk about prayer, meditation, and giving it up to god. any advice?
CP07
Forums Newcomer

Re: step 6 and 7

Postby Brock » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:03 pm

In my experience 6 & 7 are steps many don’t take seriously, the AA big book only gives a very short explanation of each one, like this -
If we can answer to our satisfaction, we then look at Step
Six. We have emphasized willingness as being indispensable.
Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the
things which we have admitted are objectionable? Can He
now take them all—every one? If we still cling to something
we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing.

When ready, we say something like this: “My Creator,
I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and
bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single
defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness
to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go
out from here, to do your bidding. Amen.” We have then
completed Step Seven.

To me that just gives the impression that we read this and move on to 8 & 9, the idea being that as we progress in the program, especially spiritual progress, we will then revisit any of these defects we are still struggling with, some of them will just correct themselves due to our new spiritual outlook.

Some say we should pay much more attention to these steps, and books have been written just for them. The best known is probably ‘Drop the Rock,’ it’s available from Amazon, and if you Google you might even find a free pdf copy, I paid for mine and quite honestly didn’t find it that great.

It sounds like your sponsor is unsure of the next move, 8 & 9 should be done, and as suggested 6 & 7 will fall into place later. He seems to be talking mainly about #11, and at 10 & 11 we continue to take inventory each day, we see where the bad habits identified in 6 & 7 are holding us back, and ask God to assist.

Keep in mind that changing sponsors is fairly common, you can sincerely thank him and move on, if he gets upset at all then he wasn't the right choice to start with. Or move on with 8 & 9 by yourself, or just asking older heads at meetings for tips, or of course asking here. Thanks for the question and best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: step 6 and 7

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 pm

CP07 wrote:Hi all,

I am 28months sober from an opiod addiction. I feel really good, but I haven't had much luck in the sponsor business. I have completed step 6 with my old sponsor and now I feel lost. I have listed all my character defects and what the opposite of each one is and I've said the 7th step prayer, meditating, praying, going to meetings. any advice on how to proceed? I go to therapy a couple times a month and my therapist always wants to know what my sponsor is having me do...but basically my sponsor kind of scares me and we really just talk about prayer, meditation, and giving it up to god. any advice?

Steps 6 and 7 have very little to do with us. Our part is to 'be entirely ready to have God remove our defects of character' and to 'humbly ask that God remove them'.

Whatever then happens to our defects is nothing to do with us, it's up to God, whether He removes 'em or not.

Do the 7th Step, say the prayer and get on with making your list of people you've harmed. Keep moving and keep it simple.

Good luck.

Tosh.x
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Return to The 12 Steps