Start A Step Group - Please Help!

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Start A Step Group - Please Help!

Postby Saratonin88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Hey friends, I have finished my first set of steps (and feel amazing!). I have been wanting to join a step group to go through a set of steps- for a while - but I can't seem to find any. It was suggested to me that maybe I should start my own step group. I've mentioned the idea to some friends of mine in the fellowship who seem really into it. I've been sober for almost a year and a half. I was in a step group once, years ago, but I left halfway through Step 3 because the majority of the members were men which wasn't something I was comfortable with at the time. I guess I'm just looking for some pointers. One thing I'm wondering is what happens in the group with Step 4 and 5? Would the group members just discuss what their experience was with Step 4, but then just do Step 5 with their sponsor? Or do you share your Step 4 within the group (as a way of going through the steps together as a group)? I really want to start a step group in the hopes that if I come across any female newcomers, I can invite them to this step group - my way of working Step 12 and being of service. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

In Service,

Sara
Saratonin88
Forums Newcomer

Re: Start A Step Group - Please Help!

Postby Noels » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Good morning Sara :D
We can never have enough Step groups. Our Steps are SOOOOO important especially in our early sobriety! Good thinking here gal!

What we did in our Step Group with 4 and 5 - we spent the time "in class" to start writing our step 4. We didn't share it with the group but chose a member / shared it with our sponsor - which still kept it confidential. We didn't "halt" the other steps in group though. Whilst working on 4 and 5 the group steps continued.

Hope this helps and well done on a brilliant idea!

Lotsa Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 am

Not sure what country you reside in, but in the US you just need to look online for meeting information and the where and when's will show all the necessary details. I know I chaired a 12X12 meeting and a Big Book study and I enjoyed the focus of those as open discussion would lead to getting off topic.

I am not going to dismiss your eagerness to get your steps completed; although if you start a step group I hope you'll have seasoned women attending because your experience may not be enough and also could lead to misinterpretation. Hopefully you also have a sponsor and they have a sponsor and if this is the case then you already have two people who should be able to assist in local meetings and whatnot.

good information in is good knowledge out and our disease lends too many opportunities for the easier softer way and excuses I have many! I say this with open eyes and from my experience and I am not an expert by no means and yet I have witnessed many things throughout the years and seen the warning signs. So my points are don't set yourself up for failure and keep realistic goals.

Have a great day.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 am

One thing I'm wondering is what happens in the group with Step 4 and 5? Would the group members just discuss what their experience was with Step 4, but then just do Step 5 with their sponsor?

The book Alcoholics Anonymous gives us clear cut direction on how to work each step. And when it comes to fifth, its very clear about what to do. Pick a tight lipped person! Especially when you are in the early stage of recovery. You don't want to go around telling people what you did in the past. At the big book study meetings we share in general how we went about doing this.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:20 am

Hi!
There are so many ways to do a step group.
The 12 and 12. Usually means reading week by week.

The big book. You can see the chapters about alcoholism and Bill's story as step one. Agnostics as step two. How it works is steps 3, 4 etc.
The most spritual growth I ever got was going through step three in the big book, sentence by sentence, one sentence per meeting , then having discussion on each sentence, starting with the three pertinant ideas a. b. and c. ( once everyone is in agreement with those) onward sentence by per meeting up to where it gives suggested step three prayer.
We are now doing step 11 in the big book the same way, sentence by sentence, one sentence per meeting.
Going sentence by sentence has the effect of keeping shares totally on topic!

I don't agree thwt sharing steps 4 and 5 at the group level is at all necessary nor a good thing at all.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby desypete » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:28 am

we have step meetings in our area and we do a step each week
members share the own experience of how they did the step and how they understand it

for example at the step meeting i head a member talk about his step 5 and how he went about doing it, as he didnt use a sponsor from aa although he had one, but the stuff he had to confess to he couldnt trust anyone in the fellowship
so he did his 5th step with a monk, so no one in the fellowship knows anything about his 5th step, its all been given to this monk who isnt in the fellowship

anyway when i heard him share how he did it i then approched him at the end of the meeting as i wasing going to do the steps as i didnt like the idea of step 5 at all but when i heard him and how he went about it well it made me think again and to make that soul giving effort of doing those steps

there a many many things i have heard in the step meeting about how to work the steps etc some i like and some i dont like but that is ok and you can bet i would try out suggestions that would be made in the step metting
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 pm

I would not focus the meeting on doing each Step, but on ES&H about how others did it. It's very tricky to dictate the pace at which any member does the Steps, that's between them and their Higher Power.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Noels » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Good morning :D when I did my steps this year with another member we did one step per day where possible. Some steps like 4 and 5 and again 8 and 9 takes a little bit longer - I think I did it in 3 days, but that seemed to work like magic for me. Since we're going to be on steps for the rest of our lives - whether as "sponsors" or "sponsee" id say one a day does the trick.
Just my feeling on the matter. Hhehehehe probably "turning" the conversation already. Eish. That's me.
Have an awesome day today.
mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Saratonin88 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:37 am

Thank you everyone for your input and valuable ideas!! I really like the idea of going through Step 3 in the Big Book (How It Works). My sponsor took me through the steps by having us read the Big Book (and the 12&12). My sponsor's sponsor has expressed some interest in joining the step group, so I would have someone there with some experience which would help for sure. And I really like what Noel mentioned about having people write their step 4 and sharing it with someone on their own time and just going about it that way.
Saratonin88
Forums Newcomer

Postby Saratonin88 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 am

Noels wrote: we spent the time "in class" to start writing our step 4. We didn't share it with the group but chose a member / shared it with our sponsor - which still kept it confidential. We didn't "halt" the other steps in group though. Whilst working on 4 and 5 the group steps continued.

I really like this idea! Keeps it confidential and then continuing the other steps keeps the momentum going!
Saratonin88
Forums Newcomer

Postby Saratonin88 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 am

positrac wrote:Not sure what country you reside in

I'm in Canada =biggrin
Saratonin88
Forums Newcomer

Postby odat12 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:44 am

I'm in Canada too and totally interested in a step study. I just started a big book study thread too if interested.

As per anonymity, I don't see anything more anonymous than online -- just saying.
odat12
Forums Enthusiast

Return to The 12 Steps