Step 4...dyslexic

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Step 4...dyslexic

Postby EllsT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:28 am

Hi all

I am currently doing step 4 within a book study and have been given sheets with the inventories on. The problem is I am dyslexic and can not write freely (my husband helped with this post). Family members would help me to fill them in but I do not feel that I can be 100% open and committed to the inventory whilst relying on another person to write. I just wish I could write feely.

Has anybody been through anything similar or have any suggestions.

Many thanks
EllsT
Forums Newcomer

Re: Step 4...dyslexic

Postby Brock » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:31 am

Welcome to e-AA EllsT. Your question is something I have not seen in my years here, but I am sure it has affected many alcoholics, my brother was dyslexic and died of alcoholism, he unfortunately never made it to AA as you have.

I hope and expect that others may have suggestions and maybe first hand experience, and fully understand why you would not be as open when someone close is assisting with the writing.

Two things I would keep in mind, firstly we often get members on this step tending to try to put too much into this, I have heard AA speakers I admire say the total inventory might fit on a cocktail napkin. Secondly, a suggestion you might consider, is short bullet points taped on a recorder or your phone, just highlights, 'I resent Bob because he did X & Y' sort of thing. When we sit for #5, which is far easier than we first imagine, stuff usually seems to just roll out, all you need is little reminders, notes, or like I said maybe a recording. Best of luck with your 5th step, it's a life changer and we start to see the promises coming true.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Layne » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:41 am

My son dealt with dyslexia, so I can empathize. When he first became a police officer, he had difficulty with writing reports, of which he had a ton. I will check with him for input.

I know google speak is doing some wonderful things, here is a link to check out
Moderators note - Due to our no links policy the link was removed, the member for whom it was intended was advised via PM.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:21 pm

There is a dictation app on my phone. I'm sure you can get an app to record your inventory. Then get with your sponsor, play and discuss bit by bit.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:31 pm

You could record voice. Or you could use a colour or numbering scheme that represents words. The inventory is just a list, and it only needs to make sense to you. So if you had to inventory something like your fridge or a room, how would you do it?
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby EllsT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:29 am

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas. I have plenty to try and I am sure I can make it work.

Thanks again
EllsT
Forums Newcomer

Postby beginningagain7 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:10 am

Step Five

"Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs."

Since you suffer from dyslexic you could do Step 4 and Step 5. By combining them you will be doing two steps at once. So by doing Step 5 when you admit to another human being the exact nature of your wrongs. The person can also write down your 4th Step.

Just a suggestion.
Beginningagain4
John T.
beginningagain7
Forums Contributor

Postby desypete » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:10 pm

how about making a simple recording for yourself of your step 4 ? instead of writing things down use a voice recorder ?
desypete
Forums Contributor

Return to The 12 Steps