First step

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

First step

Postby nomorealcohol » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:55 am

Hello everyone
I'm a newbie here so please don't flame me. How long should the first step take. I mean I already acknowledge that I'm an alcoholic and I'm powerless to stop on my own. Is that realization enough to me to progress to the second step or is there a time frame before we progress to the next step.
nomorealcohol
Forums Newcomer

Re: First step

Postby Brock » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:37 am

I think I gave an opinion on that in my other post Bob, to me people get tied up on this, and it's not always their fault. Some sponsors will spend time trying to make sure you really believe your life has become unmanageable and so forth, I feel from your words you believe that already. That's one of the reasons I like the speaker Chris R, he was in and out of AA for years, just like me, getting tied up in little details. Then he went to the “right” meeting and found the answer. Listen to him speak about sitting on the tray of his truck two weeks after that, crying tears of joy, because the obsession had gone.

I say you move on, if you have a big book maybe on you tube listen to 'Joe and Charlie Big Book Study,' or Chris R big book study and follow in the book, even a little each day. The problem is we have no defense against the first drink without getting some of these steps done, will power will work a while but as you know it will fail, and because you know that step 2 should be easy to accept.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 am

Step 1 for me was reading with my sponsor from The Doctor's Opinion all the way up to page 44, We Agnostics. It took several weeks meeting once a week, but I talk a lot! :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:18 am

that I'm an alcoholic and I'm powerless to stop on my own.

Yes, that realization propelled me into the subsequent steps. The un-manageability is tied to powerlessness and thats what the reminder of steps help us overcome and keep us sane.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:33 pm

nomorealcohol wrote:Hello everyone
I'm a newbie here so please don't flame me. How long should the first step take. I mean I already acknowledge that I'm an alcoholic and I'm powerless to stop on my own. Is that realization enough to me to progress to the second step or is there a time frame before we progress to the next step.

Step 1 took me about 15 years of drinking, plus a few months sober in AA.

But it's not so much a question of time, but a matter of education and comprehension. I recommend the Doctor's Opinion and Chapters 2 & 3 in the Big Book ("Alcoholics Anonymous"). Once you realise that alcoholism is a 2-fold condition (allergy or abnormal reaction to alcohol, combined wth obsession of the mind), you're on your way.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Noels » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:57 pm

I already acknowledge that I'm an alcoholic and I'm powerless to stop on my own. Is that realization enough to me to progress to the second step

Hi and welcome to e-aa. Looking back, I think I already did step 1 when I made the decision to go to AA for help. . I say this because I'm not a person who easily ask for help or assistance so by attending that first meeting, then a second and a third. .... I would not have asked for help /assistance unless I knew and already accepted that I was powerless over alcohol.

In your post you confirm that you acknowledge that you are an alcoholic and powerless over alcohol. I'd say to proceed into step 2.

Please feel free to ask any questions or share your experiences. We will answer to the best of our ability.

Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby desypete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:56 pm

i did my first step the day i shown up at aa
i didnt know it as the time but i came seeking help, in other words i knew i couldn't do it anymore on my own.
my life was a mess and i was beaten enough to finally give in
i came to aa as it was a power greater than me that might be able to help me

but again i didnt know all this at the time its only looking back and seeing how it all makes sense now, i now see that i did the first 3 steps the day i shown up
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Mike O » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 am

nomorealcohol wrote:Hello everyone

Yes.

I had done with Step 1 almost as soon as I had read it. I had no argument with it.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby nomorealcohol » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks everybody for your insight. By reminding myself that I'm allergic to alcohol give me a strong mental note not to drink. However the obsession of the mind is quite tricky. Sometime it seem that my mind is autopiloting to the old habit. Every little things around me seem just waiting to trigger the craving for alcohol. Only been sober for two weeks. Deep down I just can't get rid of the feeling that the trigger is just around the corner.
nomorealcohol
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks for giving us an update on how you are doing. Maybe without realizing it, you have hit on the main problem the alcoholic has. Our big book goes to great length to drive home what you are saying, and mentions the mind in many areas. For example in the chapter 'There is a solution,' we see this - “Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body.”

We try to emphasize that we have no defense against the first drink, here are some examples from various sections of the book - “We are without defense against the first drink... There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove... They had said that though I did raise a defense, it would one day give way before some trivial reason for having a drink...”

And on this one I will put some emphasis -
 “Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power.”

So on you go to step two, you know you don't have a defense, step three just be willing to give a higher power the opportunity to provide that defense, and when you do 4 & 5 you will feel the defense kicking in, you will laugh at those 'triggers.'
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Return to The 12 Steps