2 step one questions

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

2 step one questions

Postby RyanjSp » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:59 pm

I've decided to work through a workbook I once got into years ago I'm not going to get into a name or anything simply the questions which are directly relevant two which bugged the tar out of me last time I got into it and also now.

First can (or could) you drink more without showing the effects than when you first began.
Second, do you get drunk on less than you used too.

Reviewing my drunken history the best I can what I have finally come up with out of frustration is it they are simply not yes or no questions.
In my old workbook I see where I had circled one scratched it out and circled the other and now I would do the same thing.
Over 20 years drinking career my health and drinking habits varies the answers.
Coming from someone who is been on death's door multiple times during their alcoholic career and also bounced back.
Overcomplicating?
Thoughts?
"No Ryan, the cake business is over. They will never ever trust you with the cake again."
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Re: 2 step one questions

Postby Brock » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks for the questions, I haven't thought about stuff like this for a long time.

Now I would say I probably agree that these are not yes or no questions, yes when I first started just a couple of drinks, and the shy me is dancing with every girl in the party, that's why I thought it was the answer to all my previous problems. As the years passed it would take more and more to get the same feeling. Getting drunk on less than it used to take I haven't really experienced, because in the last few years of my drinking I was never really sober, morning noon and night I just tried to top up the tank anytime I was feeling sobriety coming on, trying to avoid the restlessness and irritability. Of course in the end even the drink couldn't stop me feeling crappy, like you almost at death's door, my dear wife getting an order to have me committed to a mental hospital.

Thank God the AA program has provided a feeling similar to when I first tried a couple drinks, often smiling for no apparent reason, and usually happier than I ever remember being at any time in my life.

For the last question, I might agree that you may be over complicating things, I am a great fan of the keep it simple idea, the last words from Dr. Bob to Bill.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby tomsteve » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:14 pm

step 2-Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
its pretty simple:

We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

them questions ya have seem more about step1,imo.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:31 pm

them questions ya have seem more about step1,imo.

I think they are what Ryan meant, it's titled “2 Step one questions,” or in other words, two questions about step one.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:56 am

This statement will get you closer to the truth:

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely

The above is from the "We agnotsics" chapter. Its the obsession of the mind that takes the alcoholic out.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby RyanjSp » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:30 am

I believe this was more geared towards accessing physical progression from a medical point of view so I just left it be and moved on but thnx
"No Ryan, the cake business is over. They will never ever trust you with the cake again."
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby clouds » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 am

Brock wrote:
Thank God the AA program has provided a feeling similar to when I first tried a couple drinks, often smiling for no apparent reason, and usually happier than I ever remember being at any time in my life.

This is also my experience, and even when those really difficult things happen in life, as they do at some time for all of us, ego doesn't rush out to create a big drama out of it.

I haven't used notebooks, I couldn't relate to them. Its possible to keep sober just using the chapters in the Big Book if you don't feel comfortable with the questions in those prepared notebooks.
I think a lot of us haven't needed the notebooks. Also a sponsor can usually help you by letting you know how they did the 12 steps and what questions they asked themselves in light of the Big Book.

Good on you for moving on.
Check out the first few chapters in the book and as mentioned, keep it really simple.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:57 am

Hi RyanjSp, my name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. It can be as complicated or as simple as one can make it. Me I prefer simple.
Step 1: The Problem. Something can’t be fixed until we what wrong, and in the case of alcoholic it’s more than just drinking.
Step 2: The solution. I need some kind of solution fix the problem and step two gives me the solution.
Step 3: The plan. Now that I know the solution I need to have a plan to implement solution.
The rest of the steps are that plan.
My sponsor was a sneaky one he not only did he give a plan for my alcoholism but he also use the steps to introduce me to the principles behind the step that could solve all of my problems.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby RyanjSp » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Look I'm just trying to work through this workbook sorry I brought it up. It doesn't simply ask who can't who can and who's going to let him.
If it did I could answer them go to Walmart get a package of gold stars stick one on my forehead pat myself on the back and be done with it
it has a lot of complicated questions and some of them are tough on me I'm dropping it on here anyway sorry
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Sometimes questions and the intention of asking them are misunderstood, and so we get replies going in all directions, but thanks Ryan for your input.

To my mind asking questions or starting new topics is the backbone that supports forums like these, and I have the greatest of respect for those who do, if it goes a little sideways sometimes let's not worry, it will die a natural death.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 pm

RyanjSp wrote:Reviewing my drunken history the best I can what I have finally come up with out of frustration is it they are simply not yes or no questions.

I think your assessment is correct. Overcomplicating? No doubt. I wonder if this workbook was written by an individual who truly understands the alcholic condition . Because there is one simple truth to alcoholism which many fail to grasp:

Drinking alcohol is not the problem.

Grasp this simple truth, and you'll not only be well on your way to recovery from alcoholism, but you'll also comprehend how asinine those workbook-questions are.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Noels » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:25 am

First can (or could) you drink more without showing the effects than when you first began.

Good morning Ryan and welcome to e-aa :D

My experience when I was still drinking was yes to both questions. There were times that I could drink and the alcohol had no effect on me and there were also times that I could drink 2 glasses of wine and be on my own station. The after effects were however usually the same in that I would wake up with a hangover and feel lousy.

Once I got sober and started noticing other alcoholics drinking habits it appears they just drank more to get the 'required ' effect. Thats just my observation though so I can't confirm it for definite.

Hope this help and good luck with the rest of the book/work. Please feel free to post if you have any further questions. The folk here have much sobriety and wisdom which they share freely.

Regards Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Ryan,

The answer to both of those questions for this alkie was Yes. I was always trying to figure out how much I could drink before all hell would break loose. It never worked out well! lol

I will be forever grateful for the AA member who stated the following to me:...."Patsy, its not how much we drink or how often, its what happens to us WHEN we drink"

I had an obsession of the mind (a thought that overcomes all other thoughts) that insured that I would take the first drink. Once I put one drink of alcohol into my body, it set up a physical compulsion for MORE, and I would continue to drink against my will, until I was drunk, sick and out of control ... again.

I was brought up with pretty good values that I had been taught from a very early age. When I crossed that invisible line into alcoholism I just kept moving my own values down, thinking things, saying things, and doing things that I never ever thought I was capable of, until my own value system became unrecognizable even to myself, and I would do whatever I needed to do.....just to get a drink, because I had lost the ability to choose to NOT drink.

For this alcoholic, that is alcoholism!
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Cristy99 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:35 pm

RyanjSP wrote:

Look I'm just trying to work through this workbook sorry I brought it up. It doesn't simply ask who can't who can and who's going to let him.
If it did I could answer them go to Walmart get a package of gold stars stick one on my forehead pat myself on the back and be done with it
it has a lot of complicated questions and some of them are tough on me I'm dropping it on here anyway sorry

Hi Ryan!!

Please don't be sorry you brought up the topic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a good topic with good questions. I'm not going to answer since you said you were dropping the subject. I, for one, love when my thoughts are stimulated!!!

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :D :D

Keep posting my friend!!!
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby bbqking » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:22 am

RyanjSp wrote:I believe this was more geared towards accessing physical progression from a medical point of view so I just left it be and moved on but thnx

Correct. Various medical / psycho-social questionnaires use a wide variety of questions like this to assess whether someone may have a problem with alcohol.

Does it take more now to get the same effect? That's building of tolerance - and most people don't build a tolerance without some form of abuse or high consumption

Does it take less now to get the same effect? Sign of hepatic impairment - when the liver function decreases usually sign of later stage alcoholism, or acute poisoning, either way - you're killing yourself with alcohol and a sure sign of abuse/alcoholism

Of course - not everyone builds a large tolerance or has hepatic impairment - but they are common.

Edit: on many of these questionnaires answering yes or no to a single question isn't as important as looking at the result as whole. Another thing to consider is that they don't always provide an accurate assessment - such as a case where someone has only been drinking for a shorter period of time or just hasn't suffered any real consequences yet.... key word being yet.

Example - first few years of drinking I was able to generally meet my responsibilities, had no legal or personal problems, or health issues or hospitalizations, in essence a consequence free period. So I may have only answered yes to 2 or 3 questions out of 20. They aren't predictive in that case.
bbqking
Forums Enthusiast

Return to The 12 Steps