Step 6

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: Step 6

Postby Noels » Mon May 22, 2017 8:04 am

avaneesh912 wrote:
I find the 12 x 12 is more explanatory and detailed than the BB was in the beginning.

There is no other book out there that goes in detail about the powerlessness and un-manageability. The book Alcoholics Anonymous is the only one. You will see a big difference in people following the 12 and 12 and the big book. The big book show how to transition from 1 step to another in a sequential order. There are concepts that are illustrated in the first few chapters that are monumental in understanding the seriousness of the disease.

Hi Ava :D totally agree. HOWEVER, the steps is better explained in the 12x12 I'm sure you'll agree? There was in my thoughts and understanding no need for the Doctor's Opinion etc to be "re-written" or "broadened" or "clarified" further. Its pretty straight forward and covered sufficiently in the BB.

Therefore I found it necessary to read both the BB and the 12x12 However, when working the steps the 12x12 helped and still help me more than straight from the BB.

Have an awesome evening and chat again soon,

mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 am

CP07 wrote:my new sponsor just suggested I read 12 and 12, so I'm going to start there. Thanks everyone!

Of ALL the books used to supplement the Big Book, I think the 12 & 12 is the most widely used and I found it very effective.

Super glad to hear that you got a new sponsor who likes conference approved literature! You could do some research on how and why the 12 & 12 was written, but I believe that Bill W. talks about it in the forward to that book, saying "It is hoped that this volume will afford all who read it a close up view of the principles..." and it is maintained just as Bill himself wrote it.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby kdub720 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 am

This is Great. Step 6 is my favorite step. It was the hardest for me for the longest time. I knew what to do yet I felt like it was not happening. I had to use extreme faith and ask for the removal of desires. Even though I had not drank in almost a year I still had urges, and I knew that was not good. I prayed and prayed that the Higher power take my urges away and help me accept my faults and short comings as unique personal traits. Only until I took ownership or my shortcomings did the urges go away. This is a great topic and thanks to all those who shared. It was a great morning read.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Mike O » Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 am

Do I want to retain the right to be self-centred if necessary?
Do I want to retain the right to look after number 1, if God isn't doing it right?
If I'm not getting my own way, don't I want to be able to give things a little push in my direction?
Can I just tell little white lies...if they don't harm anybody?

- questions like these informed my Step 6.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby CP07 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:48 pm

WOW, thank you for all that took the time to reply :) So I found a 'temporary sponsor,' she told me to read 12 and 12, which I Just finished. I KNOW I am ready for God to remove my defects of Character and I pray that he will. I am feeling great. 7/7 marked my 2 years SOBER. I can't believe it. I am so thankful that I found this program while my daughter was still young, the past 2 years have been such a blessing. SO AMAZING. My little girl is 7. We just got back from vacation, and it went well. I am so thankful that I no longer have the urge to not be present. I feel like I'm back, yet I know this is a lifelong journey, and I can't get lackadaisical about it. So now that I have simmered on step 6 and 7 for a few weeks, and I've read 12 and 12 and the BIG book, do you think it's realistic to move to step 8? I have always had a sponsor lead me through, and I'm not sure if I've done enough work. Are there any specific things, besides praying and meditating, that I should do?
CP07
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing with the steps, it's encouraging to read especially for newcomers who may visit this site.

I feel there is no reason not to move on to 8 & 9, I found 6 & 7 something that we may come back to from time to time, as we recognize 'defects' we hadn't thought of previously. In step 10 we are working daily on these as well, it says we continue to watch and ask for help in their removal as they come up.

Eight also is not too complicated, and it is quite possible that in the two years of sobriety you have, you may have either made amends by apologizing to some you hurt, or made a 'living amends,' by just being a better person, as in the case of your family. Just keep going forward, a little prayer and meditation certainly, not something to force, but by looking for whatever means of improving our spiritual understanding. I found lots of stuff on you tube, and there are many free and good spiritual writings on the net, I think the trick is to find speakers or writers we can relate to, them listening or reading becomes enjoyable.

Thanks again for keeping in touch, and best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Cristy99 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:26 am

Good topic!! I enjoyed all of your responses.

I am currently working through the steps for a second time with my most recent sponsor. This time around, my sponsor has taught me how to be very thorough. I have worked step 6 and we will meet soon to work step 7.

As I have more thoroughly uncovered "stuff" I have found that my anxiety is through the roof. Sometimes almost to the point of full blown panic attacks. I know this is fear. Big time. Here is the kicker: I believe this fear is much deeper that just a character defect or shortcoming. I bought a book that is not AA literature and it is opening my eyes about the whole psychology of paralyzing fear such as I have. All having to do with childhood relationship trauma, neglect, etc. The book is going to teach me to work through this debilitating fear....I think. I am also thinking I might need to find a therapist well versed in this subject.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to The 12 Steps