Step 6

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Step 6

Postby CP07 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:50 pm

I completed my 5th step, and my sponsor went AWOL. Looking for a new sponsor. In the meantime, I'd like to start my 6th step. I've read step 6 takes an hour of meditating on step 5, and praying, however my therapist said it is not that easy. Any thoughts?
CP07
Forums Newcomer

Re: Step 6

Postby Duke » Tue May 16, 2017 4:12 pm

For me, the sixth step meant accepting that I had to be willing to turn over ALL my defective emotional responses to life, not just the ones that I immediately recognized as defective. In other words, I had to have no exceptions to the idea that every time I felt one of those negative emotional reactions, the solution was a spiritual one.

I read and studied the big book and 12x12. For me that included taking what I read and trying to write it in my own words. I also discussed what I'd read and thought with my sponsor. But really, a good friend in the program would have served just as well. I just needed to talk about what I was reading to another.

Good luck my friend.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:43 pm

however my therapist said it is not that easy

Yeah, we are so into each character defects. We become willing to start giving up, those traits that gets us in trouble. Its a life long matter for some. Talks by Mark Houston on 10 and 11 where he also covers other steps helped me a lot to get to 10 and 11 and using the disciplines of 10 and 11 we make a beginning. A new way of living.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Tue May 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Step 6 is about becoming Willing to be the Person, that your Higher Power wants you to be. A Step into the Unknown. Like Who will I be without my Arrogance, Without my False Pride, without my Ego, WITHOUT MY LUST?

An Reverend Speaker, Actually talked at our Round Up and helped me with my 6th Step. He stated a Higher Power, does not remove something, without replacing it with something else. They will not leave you less than a Full Person.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 17, 2017 12:40 am

Step 6 for me meant coming to the understanding that my defects would not be gone in a puff of smoke. I could not think them away and I could not put expectations on my HP to come and clean me up - presto chango!

For me this Step was all about being willing to be willing - and being willing to lose my expectations was part of it. I must be "content with patient improvement" (12 & 12) Step 5 I think. BTW, I used the 12 & 12 right alongside the Big Book when working the Steps.

I took a 2nd run at Step 6 and read "Drop the Rock" I didn't read on for more on Step 7. Six was difficult to understand for me. Make it a topic in a meeting or ask someone who you admire how their 6th Step worked. We are in this to help one another.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby tyg » Wed May 17, 2017 2:11 am

When I first did Step 6 it was just a "decision" to fire myself from running my life; and introduced me to meditation that reinforced how turning my life over to the care of God would be worthwhile.

In my Inventory, I saw I could not manage my own life which had nothing to do with drinking nor what it did to me. Step 1 I accepted that I am powerless over alcohol and became willing to investigate Steps 2 and 3 by learning how to use all 12 Steps as a "Way of Life."

These days, Steps 6 is about taking ACTION. I remain entirely ready (for change) to have God remove all my defects of character when applying these spiritual principles. This Step reminds me I stay spiritually fit by actions and my co-operation.

Steps 6 becomes hard when I hang on to a resentment, be slothful, procrastinate on new amends or get complacent with Steps 10 thru 12,etc. But, through trail and error, I've come to know doing these things cause pain and discomfort which prompts me to take action sooner than later each time and work through it and be rid of it and keep moving forward instead of backwards.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby tomsteve » Wed May 17, 2017 4:15 am

actually, step 6 is easy. and its simple.
Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the things which we have admitted are objectionable? Can He now take them all - every one? If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing.

yes or no?
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 am

I also look at words in the books like 'content with patient improvement', and 'more will be revealed', also where it says we must not say 'this I will never give up,' which to me means something we feel in the back of our mind is not the best thing to do, but we enjoy it, and it doesn’t trouble us too much yet.

As we progress spiritually, and keeping in mind it's a life time progression, I believe things which at first we didn't feel were objectionable, may now become so. And I am quite sure it's none of anyone else's business to tell us what we should find objectionable, it's our judgment call to define what level of 'morality' we are comfortable with. If one fellow likes to watch those blue shows on the computer, and sees nothing wrong with that, more power to him. Another might feel white lies are OK to keep his wife unaware of what he does in his spare time, and all sorts of other things some might call defects. But the person them self must decide, and over time certain habits may weigh more and more on our conscious, they start to block us from 'the sunlight of the spirit,' and we then raise them up to the level of those we thought objectionable at the start, and turn to God for the strength to remove them.

Also, the more I read on spirituality, including from one of my favorites Fr. Richard Rohr, a good friend of AA. The more I believe that where religion screwed so many of us up, with such nonsense like God is watching what you do, and punishment will come to those who do this or that, these ideas are being debunked by the modern church. There is nothing but absolute and pure love, regardless of what you do.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks Brock - That is my experience also!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Sober_RI » Wed May 17, 2017 2:56 pm

CP07 wrote:I've read step 6 takes an hour of meditating on step 5, and praying

Yes both my 1st and 2nd sponsor taught me this too. They both said to spend an hour by myself reflecting on Steps 1-5.
Sober_RI
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Roberth » Thu May 18, 2017 11:41 am

It’s all about the principle of willingness. Wanting change doesn’t mean we are going to change. I don’t know anyone that just got zapped clean and pure, I had to be willing to do things differently. HP may give us directions but we still have to use those directions and start doing thing differently to change.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu May 18, 2017 5:02 pm

CP07 wrote:I completed my 5th step, and my sponsor went AWOL. Looking for a new sponsor. In the meantime, I'd like to start my 6th step. I've read step 6 takes an hour of meditating on step 5, and praying, however my therapist said it is not that easy. Any thoughts?

It is that simple. How easy depends on you, and how much you have resistance to change. To be "entirely ready" to be rid of all the defects of character from Step 5 is a process. Decades of old habits may be challenged as we practice new ways of reacting to situations.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby CP07 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:07 am

my new sponsor just suggested I read 12 and 12, so I'm going to start there. Thanks everyone!
CP07
Forums Newcomer

Postby Noels » Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 am

Hi CP :D welcome :D I find the 12 x 12 is more explanatory and detailed than the BB was in the beginning. Since it was also written when our founders have practised and experienced the steps for some time as well as progressed more spiritualy I have an idea that the 12 x 12 could be a more accurate version of true program than the initial BB.
Just my experience and thoughts.
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:14 am

I find the 12 x 12 is more explanatory and detailed than the BB was in the beginning.

There is no other book out there that goes in detail about the powerlessness and un-manageability. The book Alcoholics Anonymous is the only one. You will see a big difference in people following the 12 and 12 and the big book. The big book show how to transition from 1 step to another in a sequential order. There are concepts that are illustrated in the first few chapters that are monumental in understanding the seriousness of the disease.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to The 12 Steps