3rd Step - How do you know you're doing God's will?

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: 3rd Step - How do you know you're doing God's will?

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:48 am

i watched "The shift" on youtube. Nice one to watch.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Mike O » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:46 am

I pray daily. I ask God to grant me knowledge of His will for me and the strength to carry it out. Then I go about doing the next thing in front of me. I'm never going to be absolutely certain that I've done His will....I hope I have. It seems to be working...9 years now.
:)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Hello starkravingsober and welcome to E-AA. When I was new t my sponsor told me the I should keep it simple and try doing the next indicated thing that I believe was right.
The funny thing is that still works 25 years later.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby thebowsie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:51 pm

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Hi Starkraving. I will be continuously sober 18 years on 4/12/17. To be clear, I choose to call my Higher Power God and in that context I am replying back to your inquiry. Not quite sure what your sponsor is asking for...a bit convoluted in my opinion. For me, 3 is just a natural progression from 2. When Step Three comes up in a discussion, for so many it generates a ton of God talk. My absolute favorite when I was newly sober was "Get God or Get Drunk." The AA that used to say that came in and took a 24-hour chip after a few years of sobriety. I won't tell you the excuse that person used but it had nothing to do with God and everything to do with "free will" gone amok. I have seen so many fly through the steps with the help of a sponsor - get that euphoria that comes with some short term sobriety without ever having given enough thought to Step One and full acceptance of that step.

When taking Step 3 - it's really on autopilot now as it is part of the 1-2-3 punch that formed the foundation of my program. The important part of 3 in MY program is "my will" "my life" "as I understand Him". I take it as being a good person and letting God know that my free will was the impetus that made me, myself and I become an alcoholic and the free will God gave me that led me to accepting the fact that stopping drinking would allow me to live. The 12 Steps of AA are the Program and individualistic in nature. I never confuse my program with the collective AA fellowship. There is no wrong Step 3. Think back to how you took Step 3 the first time - for yourself. Repeating it over and over expecting different results will make you nuts. As you age (yes you will get older as you acquire more time sober) your opinions on life will change so why shouldn't the way you practice your program change? The only absolute is Step One and not taking that first drink. While the 12 Steps use collective pronouns, I found and find it most simple to put it in the singular - I, me, etc. My program is all about me because I would be the one to lose my sobriety by drinking.

My message to you is don't overthink it. Theologians for centuries have been trying to figure out God and to date, I just know there is and have faith enough to know that I am sober through that grace that God has given me. At some point your program will become second nature and all of the steps will just run together as a natural course of living your life....sober with all that living ones life entails. Best of luck to you.
thebowsie
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Starkravingsober wrote:
So now I ask you, how long have you been sober? How do you know you're doing God's will?

15 years. I don't do God's will. Step 3 is about my will. I suspended my will when I took the Steps. I knew I had taken Step 3 when my pen hit the page with Step 4. When I take back self-will, I tend to know it sooner or later. It's just important to beware of things like complacency, and rationalising self-will as being "God's Will".
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Mike O » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:46 am

Blue Moon wrote:...and rationalising self-will as being "God's Will".

Yes. I catch myself doing this more often than I would like. 9 years ago, though, I would have just carried on rationalising.
The 12 steps work.

:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby tyg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:05 pm

I don’t have the ability to do God’s will but God can work ITS will through me when needed. This is my experience. Against my will and stubbornness it brought me to AA and introduced me to spiritual principles that saved me from an alcoholic death and lead me to a place of usefulness through love, service and unity in and out of AA.

I believe having fears and getting restless, irritable and discontent with people, life’s happenings, and myself are very good. They prompt me to depend on spiritual principles and go to God for answers and right actions, build relationships and utilize resources (especially people) in a pure, honest, unselfish and loving way.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby Noels » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:56 pm

I am new to this forum, and have joined because I'd like more perspective. Every time I do a third step, my sponsor gives me this assignment. "Ask as many people as it takes to accumulate 300 years how they know they're doing God's will."

Ive been thinking about this post and am wondering whether the OP and his sponsor perhaps have something here. I wonder if they could mean that is impossible to really know whether one is indeed doing's God Will because each person will have a different perspective of what God's Will is? Therefore the reference to "as many people as it takes to accumulate 300 years ..." ? That will be a heck of a lot of people who needs to be approached and not every one of them will believe in God so they wont believe in "God's Will" either?

Just a thought ....
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:48 pm

When I know that I am doing God's will...it is usually time to reflect and probably reconsider.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Layne wrote:When I know that I am doing God's will...it is usually time to reflect and probably reconsider.

And the Big Book says as much... pg 87 of the Big Book.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 am

Hello Will and Welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Since I didn’t see it in your post so I have to ask, do you want to stop drinking? That is what AA is about.
I had lost all control over alcohol once I took a drink. What AA did for me was to give me the tools I needed to live my life free from alcohol.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Previous

Return to The 12 Steps