3rd Step - How do you know you're doing God's will?

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Postby Starkravingsober » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:59 am

Greetings!

I am new to this forum, and have joined because I'd like more perspective. Every time I do a third step, my sponsor gives me this assignment. "Ask as many people as it takes to accumulate 300 years how they know they're doing God's will."

As an alcoholic who had answered this question, it's a nice reminder of my daily recovery practices. As an alcoholic who has asked this question hundreds of times, I am unsure that God's will is simply " that gut feeling." Here is how I would answer that question today:

" The universe is giving me positive feedback and strength in many forms to do whatever is in front of me"

So now I ask you, how long have you been sober? How do you know you're doing God's will?

I am very excited to read your responses.

Thank you!
Last edited by Starkravingsober on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starkravingsober
Forums Newcomer

Re: 23rd Step-by-step How do you know you're doing God's wil

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:19 am

We work the reminder of the 12 steps and when we live in the moment (with the noise in the head quietened) you will see the beauty of existence. I see Gods will in all. If I am lost in the head, then I am not.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: 3rd Step - How do you know you're doing God's will?

Postby Lali » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am

Welcome, starkraving! I wanted to refer you to another thread in these forums where the exact same question was asked and there were 5 pages of responses but I can't find the darned thing. Does anyone know where it is? It would be a wealth of information for our new poster here.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:47 am

Here is the thread the Lali is talking about http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22188&p=145414#p145319

I've never heard of this asking as many alcoholics as it takes to get to 300 years about the 3rd step. The 3rd step isn't about doing God's will...its a decision to turn our will and our lives to the CARE of God. Once we make that decision we "launch into a course of vigorous action." I believe we start to carry God's will into all our activities once we have completed and start to live these steps(principles) to the best of our ability. Alcoholics sure like to complicate the S*** out of everything...I'm glad you're here.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm glad you’re here too, it's nice when questions which can generate healthy discussion are posed to the others, doesn’t matter if it came up before, the way you framed it put a new spin on it.

For example when you say - “As an alcoholic who has asked this question hundreds of times, I am unsure that God's will is simply " that gut feeling." I would say I am unsure of that as well, but I believe the gut feeling of whether I am doing the right or wrong thing plays a big part for me. I have had to go back to the neighborhood supermarket, because when checking over the bill at home they forgot to charge me for something, wife says but sometimes they overcharge you and you don't go back, I sit for a while and think yes it's justified. But then I still don't feel right in the gut, and think what would God have me do, and of course back I go. These days my gut feeling won't even allow me to leave the grocery cart in the car park, and I push others near mine back as well.

I believe we start in AA with a certain 'moral compass,' it points to what's acceptable behavior or not, often judged by how do I feel after doing it. And as we grow in the program, things we found acceptable doing before, start becoming unacceptable, because we don't feel in the gut after that we did the right thing. More and more our moral compass starts to point at what the God of our understanding would have us do, which is not much different from the old, 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'
So now I ask you, how long have you been sober? How do you know you're doing God's will?

I’ve been sober a good few years, I know I'm doing God's will when I feel at ease, without worry or fear, but I insist that God likes us AA's to have fun, and live a pretty normal and exciting life. I have seen new people scared that they will be expected to live like some holy monk, tied to a schedule of AA meetings for life, can't even look at the hot girls walking past, and I go out of my way to tell them that's not so, at least not so with the God of my understanding.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Starkravingsober » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Thank you all for the posts so far. I am so grateful for the resources that we have available today! Thank you for pointing out the difference between "doing God's will " and "turning ourselves over to the care of God ". I am sensing that the third step for a lot of people has more to do with with the absence of self will than the presence of God's will. Something that I believe is that the spiritual path is always there, and the third step is about taking that path. Even if I don't know where it leads. Thank you, all!
Starkravingsober
Forums Newcomer

Postby Duke » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Welcome Starkravingsober. I too thought, for a time, that God's will was some mysterious proposition that I would have to grow a new brain to hear and understand. I've come to believe that God's will means to continue to take action based on the principles of the program. In simple terms, take the loving action and, when all else fails, act with kindness.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:58 am

As an alcoholic who had answered this question, it's a nice reminder of my daily recovery practices. As an alcoholic who has asked this question hundreds of times, I am unsure that God's will is simply " that gut feeling." Here is how I would answer that question today:

It is not only "Doing what I ought to do" (The gut feeling)

But "Doing what I ought to do, because I want to do it." Attitude and Actions, then reviewing where I got in the way, before retiring at night, or sooner.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 am

Maybe you are doing Gods will and you can't believe it is that easy and you get wrapped around the axel over the idea? I was told in early sobriety to get out of my way and let the miracle happen. Maybe you are in the way?
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:19 am

I can never & will never know what God's will is... The weight of that would crush me like a bug.

All I can do is Do what is in front of me to Do - even based on my puny understanding - and then Trust All Is Well.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 pm

When I have accepted and unconditionally love the entire me - all aspects and sides of me - I'm doing God's Will. Once I've come to understand that that's God Will I can start doing God's work.

Love and Light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi Starkravingsober

Thanks for an interesting topic.

"....how long have you been sober? How do you know you're doing God's will?

I've been sober since May 12, 1978.

I know when I'm doing the will of God as I understand this entity in different ways. Sometimes it's a "gut" feeling or a feeling in my chest & shoulders, and sometimes it's a warm feeling that floods my whole body from head to toe affirming that I'm in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing. At those times. it does feel like, as you said, that the universe/God " is giving me positive feedback and strength in many forms to do whatever is in front of me." It's kind of like "being in the zone." It's pretty much the same as when I'm in the wrong place, at the wrong time, doing the wrong thing. At those times, I get a different vibe and a cold feeling. It feels like the universe/God is giving me negative feedback, warning me to retreat, get back on my path. It's one of those experiential things that's hard to describe in words but it works for me!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:14 am

DOS 4/23/05.

personally I think theres a wee bit of difference between 3rd step and doing God's will.
3rd step is making a decision to turn my will( my thoughts) and my life( my actions) over to the CARE of God as I understand Him.....
and continue with the rest of the steps.

doing Gods will and how do I know im doing it?
practice.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Starkravingsober wrote:I am new to this forum, and have joined because I'd like more perspective. Every time I do a third step, my sponsor gives me this assignment. "Ask as many people as it takes to accumulate 300 years how they know they're doing God's will."

Note that the Step makes no mention of God's Will. At Step 3, I'm not sure what any newcomer is looking at, but it's probably not God's Will.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby clouds » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:12 am

The main thing is that I'm willing to do God's will.
I just did a quick superficial mental inventory searching for any time I was absolutely sure I had done the will of God at any time since June 1974, when I got sober and began AA. I couldn't really say for absolutely sure that I had done God's will completely or properly with real assurance. The willingness is there though and I'm always ready to do so.
Peace of mind comes from not running the show, letting go and letting God, in my experience.
I just do what has to be done on a daily basis and try to keep that as simple as possible.
I do the steps daily, at least 10 and 11, more if necessary, and keep reading the BB of AA.
It seems to be working well.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to The 12 Steps