Alternative Step 3 Prayers

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Alternative Step 3 Prayers

Postby Wiganman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:34 pm

The Big Book tells us the wording of the 3rd step prayer is optional. My sponsor gave me the alternatve prayer below which I sometimes use as well as the original one. I just wondered if anyone else used their own alternative?

Dear Higher Power, 

I've made a mess of trying to manage my life. I have proved I can't do it. Also, I want to become happy, joyous and free which I understand you also want for me.

Therefore,  I've made a decision to turn my will and my life over to you.  Please relieve me of the prison of my selfish mind so I can better do your will. Please take away my difficulties, beginning with my disease of alcoholism,  so that victory over them can demonstrate to others your power, your love and your way of life. Please help me with The book states that the wording of the step
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Alternative Step 3 Prayers

Postby Noels » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Wiganman welcome to e-aa and MERRY CHRISTMAS :D
the prayer below is beautiful and covers everything we as alcoholics can ask for and yes, I have my own Lil prayers I use. The step 3 prayer as in the book helped me right in the beginning - tremendously - when I was not used to being on my knees before our Creator and also while it was difficult for me to communicate with my Creator. My relationship with my Creator have since become personal and intimate again and I thank AA for showing me the way back.
Higher power listen AND HEAR each word we utter and each thought we think. We are the ones who don't always hear or understand. So I now include in my prayers for the ability to receive a message clearly together with the wisdom to understand it.
Thank you for sharing your prayer and have an awesome Christmas day filled with love, light, happiness and peace.
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:24 am

Yes, it does say the wording is optional, as long as the idea is expressed.

Your prayer sounds very similar.

I love step three.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:49 am

God,
I cant
you can
ill do my best to let ya.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Short form: eff it.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:01 am

Spirit Flower wrote:Short form: eff it.

What?
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:50 am

clouds wrote:

What?

I heard this often early. Short form of "let it go".
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm

workin on my car one day I was getting downright frustrated- things just weren't goin my way.thats a lie. I was past frustration and outright in a fit of rage. a wrench flew across the shop and I said,"eff it" and went over to my sponsors. told him what was going on, I didn't like feeling like I did. he said, "what did you do?"
"I threw a wrench across the shop, said, eff it, and came over here."
"congratulations, you just did the simplest form of the 3rd step."
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Mike O » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:01 am

tomsteve wrote:

workin on my car one day I was getting downright frustrated- things just weren't goin my way.thats a lie. I was past frustration and outright in a fit of rage. a wrench flew across the shop and I said,"eff it" and went over to my sponsors. told him what was going on, I didn't like feeling like I did. he said, "what did you do?"
"I threw a wrench across the shop, said, eff it, and came over here."
"congratulations, you just did the simplest form of the 3rd step."

Excellent :lol:

My own form of the Step 3 Prayer is a bit of a mix

"Today I give myself entirely to you, to do with me as you will. I ask only for knowledge of your will for me and for the strength to carry it out. Take away the burden of self, that I might better hear your voice, that I might better do your will. Direct my thoughts and actions, this day, towards your will, O Lord. Thy will be done, not mine."

Seems to be working.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:33 pm

"I have no idea how to manage my own life, so need some directions and insight".
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Return to The 12 Steps