repeating 12 steps

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

repeating 12 steps

Postby aaforever » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:27 pm

if u attend aa a lot do u work through the steps as quickly as u can or do u work with your home group. My sponsor is my best friend also so i try to work through the steps as quickly as possible even if there are other sponsees and sponsors to help i usually am fast at going through the steps and traditions together but as long as i am getting something out of it is when im ready to move on especially because my home group have a meeting almost every hour thT i cant be there and not share a lot of what i know about aa so it seems like theu skip steps depending on who chairs anywYs just wanted to share whT works for me.
Live and Let Live!
aaforever
Forums Enthusiast

Re: repeating 12 steps

Postby Lali » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Most people work thru the steps with a sponsor who has worked through the steps. I would not recommend rushing, but nor would I dilly dally. I wouldn't stay stuck on any one step more than a week or so, with the exception of step 4 which requires a lot of reflection. But that's just what worked for me. Others will be along with their response to your query.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:15 pm

My ESH is that I've received a lot of benefits in the way of additional insights from making a conscious effort to repeatedly work on the 12 Steps, but I've never felt the need to work through them quickly. Sometimes when I hit a bump on the Road of Happy Destiny, usually some conflict with a person, place, or thing, the Step I need to work will just pop into my mind. I like that. When this happens, it feels like the Program is working me rather than me working the Program.... :D
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:57 pm

In another thread aaforever said she did the steps something like twenty times last year, I then said I saw no need for such a thing, and the literature does not support it, yes I also said whatever works for the individual is OK.

Now it seems from this post that she may have meant just discussing the steps at step meetings, or with sponsees. We have to differentiate between 'working' the steps as in EZ's case, something comes up choose the tool as required, but is that repeating the steps, surely not.

We repeat the steps if we start from #1, make new inventories in 4, do another 5, and list in 8, go and make amends again for 9. Simply discussing steps with others is useful, but it is not the same as repeating them. In my opinion certain steps are never not being 'repeated,' 1,2,3,6,7,10,11&12, and instructions in #10 cover them all anyway.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 pm

"....We have to differentiate between 'working' the steps as in EZ's case, something comes up choose the tool as required, but is that repeating the steps, surely not....We repeat the steps if we start from #1, make new inventories in 4, do another 5, and list in 8, go and make amends again for 9."

I agree. I usually do my regular 4th Step annually around my AA birthday, which also includes repeating Steps 1,2,3 and 5,6,7,8, and 9 again as well. The BB says:
".... A business which takes no regular inventory usually goes broke.... If the owner of the business is to be successful, he cannot fool himself about values."

By the time I finally got sober, I was really fed up with failing and wanted to be successful for a change so I followed the directions in the BB and started doing regular inventories early on in sobriety. I chose a date near my AA birthday and that still works for me.... :D
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Wiganman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi all, this is an interesting topic. I had 3 years of messing around with the steps, picking and choosing which parts of the programme to follow. After my last relapse I had enough, found myself a good sponsor and we went through the whole 12 steps throughly and quicky in about 4 weeks.

Since then I have had a remarkable change in my outlook on life, a spiritual awakening in other words.

".... A business which takes no regular inventory usually goes broke.... If the owner of the business is to be successful, he cannot fool himself about values."

In terms of the quote above i believe i cover this in step ten which for me is a daily step. Infact steps ten and eleven done regularly cover steps 2 to 9 off. Then if you go onto sponsor someone else then you are infact doing the entire programme again in its entirety.

It is a simple but amazingly effective programme.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Roberth » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:28 pm

“12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.”
I hear a lot about doing the steps and don’t hear much about the using the principles the steps teach us.
Honesty
Hope
Faith
Courage
Integrity
Willingness
Humility
Brotherly Love
Discipline
Perseverance
Awareness of God - God Conscious
Service

Just thinking out loud
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks Roberth. It is always good to see them listed again. Keeping it simple is important... one word simple was really good for me back then and it is again today as we close in on the holiday! Funny, that I didn't know how lacking in principles I was before this program! I could not really name one before my sponsor gave me this list! :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby desypete » Sun May 21, 2017 9:47 am

Roberth wrote:“12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.”
I hear a lot about doing the steps and don’t hear much about the using the principles the steps teach us.
Honesty
Hope
Faith
Courage
Integrity
Willingness
Humility
Brotherly Love
Discipline
Perseverance
Awareness of God - God Conscious
Service

Just thinking out loud

thanks for posting and that is how i am supposed to work on me daily to try to improve in all those areas of my life and would you believe it, practise does indeed produce huge results
the peace i have in my life today is amazing and no i am not going around shouting hallelujah or trying to convert people into my faith lol that stage of growth has been over for quite a while
today i am at peace most of the time by not sticking my nose in, by losing interest in having opinions, by trying to help someone who might need help if they wish it not because i want to force my help on them

this new found freedom they were on about i have started to come to see as a result of living this new way of life, and for me it certainly hasn't happend in a blinding flash of light
its taken many years of living like a dry drunk almost and very painful to find out i was only happy when i get my own way
today i can be at peace rather than happy if i get my own way or not as i dont or try not to obsess about anything or anyone anymore

but i practise these steps in all my affairs or i should say i practice the principles in all my affairs

i dont tend to do a step 10 for example at the end of the day i do one all day everyday as i will soon know if i have done something or said something that maybe i shouldnt of my head will feel uneasy or i will feel it inside of me so i simply look back at what i have done and if i can not find the answer i will call my sponsor up and recount what is troubling me and would you believe it i either get to see it myself normaly as my sponsor is laughing at the other end of the phone i soon know i have done it again lol

anyway after years of doing this and experiencing a lot the penny's do start to drop and i am able to avoid making the same mistake as the reward will be peace if i keep on the right track
dont know if that makes any sense to anyone ? but its how i am seeing thing at this moment in time
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Sun May 21, 2017 10:04 am

but i practise these steps in all my affairs or i should say i practice the principles in all my affairs

I relate A LOT to your post and it is always good to see you Pete. This quote stands out to me because early on, before I actually worked the Steps, I heard things like "No matter what Step (or Tradition) you are working on you can apply it to the problem at hand."

I got sober in August and it was in January that I was have a problem with my adult children and my money. I looked (alone) at how Step 1 was supposed to apply to this problem and I was blind to any relation (untreated alcoholism). I could however easily see how Tradition 1 and Unity worked if I considered my children outside the common welfare of the people who live under my roof. Cool. But then! With that little bit of Sunlight on the problem I could see that I was powerless.... and they were unmanageable...

To a certain extent ~ if I was willing to look at the reality of the situation. It might very well have been the point (along with other things) that I decided maybe this thing did work and I needed to get into the Steps. My very life depended on it.

Thanks for the reminder!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby desypete » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:04 pm

i was told Paige that i only have 2 problems in my life
there are those problems i can do something about and there are those i can do nothing about, when i can work out the difference i can take the action needed
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:50 pm

“12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.”

May I highlight the above? The Serenity I enjoy today, is a "Result of these Steps" I always try to start my day with Gratitude for the Steps, and give Thanks every night.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby desypete » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:54 pm

D'oh wrote:

May I highlight the above? The Serenity I enjoy today, is a "Result of these Steps" I always try to start my day with Gratitude for the Steps, and give Thanks every night.

my sponsor always told me i had to show my gratitude and not just say it lol it was his way of getting me to get off my backside and get into service work, which took me about 2 years around aa before i started to get into service

i still spit that one out in the rooms as we need mother group memebers all over the place in my area these days, yet we have full rooms of sober grateful memebers but they just dont seem to have the time to become a group memeber ? which is find really odd but there we go
desypete
Forums Contributor

Return to The 12 Steps