Time Frame for Completion of the 12 Steps

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: Time Frame for Completion

Postby Brock » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:46 pm

its about what you actually do it that time frame. You can go to 90 in 90 and be just as sick as the day you walked in.

That's why some of us harp on about what meetings should be about, the message as carried in the 164, because this is not entirely true - “Once me and you click that x on the screen that's it.”

There are good posts here dating back fourteen years, the people who write them are perhaps leaving a message that more may get than if spoken in the average meeting. The amount of people who have been told about meetings and phone numbers and sponsors, the clicking of that X has probably saved many an alcoholic.
But I am getting the impression I was Directed here to teach me tolerance.

That's a two way street, maybe you were sent to teach us, the topic is headlined “Time Frame for Completion.”
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PuppyEars » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Brock wrote:maybe you were sent to teach us, the topic is headlined “Time Frame for Completion.”

Coming from chief cherry picker. Pipe down, there's a reason you are not a moderator anymore.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby serendipity » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:51 pm

I'm so thankful for all the responses. It reassured me that I'm doing my program the way that it works best for me, time wise. I don't feel like I'm blazing through it, nor do I feel like I am dragging my feet.

I'm just soaking in all the ES&H and thankful that I have such a wonderful venue, in which I can be a part of and learn from.
serendipity
Forums Enthusiast

Postby D'oh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:18 pm

What does 90 in 90 hurt? What does 1 a week hurt? As long as we Get It.

I am not sure there is a time frame at all. It is written that a few Early Members started their 4th step within days. But it is not written that we all have to.

For me, "IT" came with an honest answer that A) I was Alcoholic and could not manage my own life. B) That probably NO human power could have relieved my Alcoholism. C) That God could and would if He were sought.

When I came back, I was granted this fairly quick (to some). The first time it took much longer. But I see others get "IT" much quicker, and some with a lot of years that still seem to be missing "IT" more often than in my own Sobriety.

So for me, the More I am within the Fellowship. the more "IT" I am Granted. May I never again forget where I receive it from, because I don't own it.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:47 am

But it is not written that we all have to.

So these sentences mean nothing to you?

Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning, which many of us had never attempted. Though our decision was vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.

Therefore, we started upon a personal inventory. This was Step Four. A business which takes no regular inventory usually goes broke. Taking commercial inventory is a fact-finding and a fact-facing process. It is an effort to discover the truth about the stock-in-trade. One object is to disclose damaged or unsalable goods, to get rid of them promptly and without regret. If the owner of the business is to be successful, he cannot fool himself about values

At once followed by a .......? Using the parable of the businessman, Bill W says, "he cannot fool himself about values" if he wants the business to succeed.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:11 am

The same, he has already talked about on page 25.

He asks us to clean up, then he says we will be connected to others. I strongly suggest people to pick some good workshops on the internet and go through them. How do you know its good? We don't know. But just keep listening to various ones out there. Most of them out there are good. Some go deeper but you can't go wrong. Just don't get stuck with what you hear in the meetings. Because you don't know where its coming from.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:14 am

So these sentences mean nothing to you?

I thought that I was quite clear in what I wrote.

So if your Highlighted
at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of,
is true today. Does that not say 90 in 90? Because when it was written there wasn't 90 in a year.

And without
A) I was Alcoholic and could not manage my own life. B) That probably NO human power could have relieved my Alcoholism. C) That God could and would if He were sought.
I struggled with your quote. Which may be why
Being convinced we were at Step Three
is in the BB before your quote.

Just what I found.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:55 am

No denying that. So you expect a newcomer raw out of the street going to figure out this by going to meetings? Thats where old-timers need to take some time and educate the newcomers about the fatal progressing nature of the disease. Help them conclude that they are one. Talk to them about the peculiar mental twist that could strike any moment.

Edit: Also wanted to share that the responses are here about working the inventory part and getting on with the rest of the steps. The OP has already convinced that they are an alcoholic and they are in the cleaning up phase.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:00 am

Person off of the street? the start of the thread stated they were working the 6th step. They also stated
1-3 were relatively engrained in me already, although I had never worked on them with anyone.

I was merely stating that "Being Convinced we were at Step Three" has a huge meaning in how easy the remaining steps are to complete.

But maybe quotes from the 4th Step are closer to the answer. For Serendipity and the New Comer off of the street.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Lali » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:11 am

Thank you for the topic, serendipity. This is an excellent thread that will hopefully help others with this question for years to come.

It's just a shame that someone turned it into a discussion on 90 in 90.

Maybe we could change the subject line to Time Frame for Completion of the 12 Steps so someone could find this in the future when interested in this important subject.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby serendipity » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:23 am

Lali wrote:Thank you for the topic, serendipity. This is an excellent thread that will hopefully help others with this question for years to come.

It's just a shame that someone turned it into a discussion on 90 in 90.

Maybe we could change the subject line to Time Frame for Completion of the 12 Steps so someone could find this in the future when interested in this important subject.

I changed the subject line to address that. I'm thankful for all the views I received from everyone, on topic and off. There is a wealth of information within this thread for me.
serendipity
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Time Frame for Completion of the 12 Steps

Postby Stepchild » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:21 am

I am currently embarking on Step 6 with just about 60 days under my belt.

I just wanted to add....I was at right about the same time frame you are on. I'd left a 28 day rehab early...after 18 days because I was introduced to the Big Book there...And I knew I needed to get out and get started on the steps. I picked a sponsor after a couple days listening to his share....He talked about the steps....The solution. Much like you...I had done the first three steps and I told him..."I'm ready to start writing inventory."
And I started that day....21 days sober. I worked on that for 17 days....One hour a day. I set a quiet time where I could work without disruption...No TV or radio going...And as the book suggests...I asked my Higher Power for help with honesty and willingness. And I wasn't much of a man of faith. I was a beaten alcoholic.
I did my fifth step about 4 days after finishing inventory....And it was then I knew this program would work. If we follow the directions in the book...Steps six and seven should be taken right after step 5. We spend an hour of quiet time and make sure the first 5 steps are solid. We haven't skimped on anything. I had an oldtimer who I became friends with that recommended I read a called...

Drop the Rock
Removing Character Defects
Steps Six and Seven

Which I did...And it was excellent. I recommend it to you. Just a suggestion...You can take it or leave it. One other suggestion I highly recommend....One that my sponsor suggested to me the day I met him...To read pages 86 to 88 from the Big Book everyday as my morning reading. Not a bad thing to get engrained in your head. I congratulate you....You are on the right path!
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:27 pm

One that my sponsor suggested to me the day I met him...To read pages 86 to 88 from the Big Book everyday as my morning reading. Not a bad thing to get engrained in your head. I congratulate you....You are on the right path!

Mine suggested 83-86 at night and 86-88 on awakening/ Starting with "Yes there is a long period of reconstruction ahead." A daily reminder that Rome wasn't built in a Day. And the Promises that we seek.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Stepchild » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:51 pm

D'oh wrote:
A daily reminder that Rome wasn't built in a Day. And the Promises that we seek.

I know you are big on debating the book...But maybe you could share with us all where it states that. If you are referring to this line...

Yes there is a long period of reconstruction ahead.
pg 83

That comes from the end of the directions for step 9 and would fall under the category of living amends...You kind of lost me on this one.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby serendipity » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Stepchild wrote:To read pages 86 to 88 from the Big Book everyday as my morning reading. Not a bad thing to get engrained in your head. I congratulate you....You are on the right path!

D'Oh wrote:Mine suggested 83-86 at night and 86-88 on awakening/ Starting with "Yes there is a long period of reconstruction ahead." A daily reminder that Rome wasn't built in a Day. And the Promises that we seek.

Thank you both so much. I will be incorporating a reading into my morning and into my evening. What you both suggested is exactly something I have been searching for. It's a great explanation of actually "living the program".
serendipity
Forums Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to The 12 Steps