Step one- is it too easy

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: Step one- is it too easy

Postby Layne » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:06 am

Step 1 as I learned was about being powerless because when my type pours alcohol in our bodies, we trigger an alergy that makes us crave more. It was also hammered home that I will have this allergy for a lifetime. My experience with staying away from booze and picking up again time after time confirms this.
For me, examples of this were found in my past, because the day I worked step one I was at the moment not drinking which is why it was
a time to dig up my past
My past at that moment was only a few hours old.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Gideon W » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:50 am

But if I realize the extent of my powerless, after repeated defeats out of bitter past and recent experience, I would beg to say that step one maybe easy or hard, however you look at it, but to me it is a scarily realization. Knowing that I by myself keep one believing the lie that I can drink despite the fact that I'm allergic to alcohol, the obsession, is a humbling realization. Alcohol has beaten me time and time again, until recently despite knowing all the facts about step one. I agree that the action part sufficient for me to change my attitudes are more important. I've taken step one with my tail between my legs but have more determination to carry out the actions needed to have a psychic change.
Gideon W
Forums Newcomer

Postby Tosh » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:07 am

Gideon W wrote:Alcohol has beaten me time and time again, until recently despite knowing all the facts about step one. I agree that the action part sufficient for me to change my attitudes are more important. I've taken step one with my tail between my legs but have more determination to carry out the actions needed to have a psychic change.

Welcome to the forum, Gideon.

As for 'knowing all the facts about step one', as you put it, the Big Book does say that self-knowledge isn't sufficient. We might know how we react when we take that first drink, we may know that it's the mental obsession to drink that makes us take that first drink, but even armed with that experience, we'll still drink.

Well done on being determined to carry out the actions.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby David A » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:15 pm

I am a chronic relapser for the last 8 years who today has 8 days of sobriety. For the first time in my recovery I am taking every suggestion that is given to me without thinking about it.

I've had to be beaten into submission. It makes me think maybe it's more of an experience Step. I am now pretty damn scared of forgetting where I came from, because I know I will if I don't keep finding ways to remember. I never want to forget how desperate this time in my life has been.

For me it took every single person in my life treating me like I was so toxic that they wouldn't even talk to me, or if they did have to talk to me that they would do whatever they could to not make themselves emotionally vulnerable in any respect. My mom, my dad, my closest friends, my closest guides. Even a sponsor with 45 years. It took that much to see what my behavior has actually been like -- arrogant, angry, entitled, fearful, and self-pitying.

After living my life, Step One seems almost like an afterthought. A logical description of the jumping off point in which I currently find myself. But from that point, it seems like I'm maybe for the first time since I was a young child experiencing what people talk about when they say "letting go" in the areas of my life which burn the hottest.

Thanks for letting me share.
David A
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Good morning sponsorship and welcome to e-aa :D thank you for a beautiful, honest and open share and congratulations on your first week of sobriety, already entering the second week :D
Keep coming back and you will experience a joy, freedom and peace never experienced before.
Well done and looking forward to further shares from you.
Love and light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby David A » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:42 pm

Noels! Thank you so much. I was falling back into my own head (Dave world)... and then I saw your message. And it made me feel really good.

I hope your day is going really nicely. I appreciate you saying hi.
David A
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Howdy David :D almost 30 days since our last chat. How's it going? Still strong and hanging in there?
Love and light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby smurphy68 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:46 pm

This is my first time in a group. I am really trying and looking for support. My doctor told me I needed to seek medical detox. It took almost a year, but I did. When I went, they wouldn't admit me because after 18 hours of being "sober" I showed no signs of withdraw. So, here I am. The fear of dying has me a nervous wreck. What if at that 72 hour mark, I do get the worst. I so want to be free from this mess but the fear has made it worse. Beer drinker, 12 to 14 a day (in evenings only). Have more days drinking than sober (like 4 vs. 361) for last 5 years. Any help or advice? I want my life back. Told me my body seems to do well with what I have out it through but I am not at ease.
smurphy68
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:27 am

We have much of that same problem here - too many trying to get in, they save the hospital beds for the folks in DT's. I suggest that if you start feeling too shaky - get your butt back there ASAP. Either way, schedule an appointment with your doctor, get a liver test and stuff. This disease does real damage to the body.

I took the path more like yours - no one wanted me, and truthfully, I didn't want them. I am not real good with someone telling me what to do and a treatment center would be pure Hell. AA however, has no such rules and they welcomed me and invited me to come back. So I did, everyday for a while, until I found a few meetings I really liked. I eventually picked one as my Home Group. I also met enough women like me that I was able to pick a sponsor and started to meet with her once a week to go through the Big Book and do the Steps.

I haven't had a drink since then, August 1, 2009. If I can do it you can do it - whether you go to treatment or not.

And welcome to e-aa. Keep coming back.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi Smurphy and welcome to e-aa :D well done on making the decision to take your life back :D . The beginning is not the easiest but as we get to know our sober selves it's definitely worth while. I agree with Paige. If you don't feel so good get to ER. If you find you are really battling get to your doctor and discuss some form of short medical treatment with him to get you through the worst withdrawals. I've heard there are some meds that can make it a bit easier.
Apart from that, get to a meeting and just draw strength from others who have gone before you. As soon as you're in the swing of meetings and your head is less foggy (it happened to all of us :D ) you can think of getting a sponsor to guide you through the 12 steps into recovery.
For now - keep sweets nearby as it helps with physical craving, drink plenty water and sweet tea helps also :D don't be hungry as the craving for me was worse when I didn't eat at least twice a day.
Keep your hands busy and your mind on positive beautiful things. There is a better more beautiful life ahead of you as long as you for now, not pick up that first drink.
Looking forward to reading some more from you :D
Love and light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:12 pm

My doctor told me I needed to seek medical detox. It took almost a year, but I did. When I went, they wouldn't admit me because after 18 hours of being "sober" I showed no signs of withdraw. So, here I am.

Hi smurphy and welcome.

Suggest you contact your doctor again asap and advise him of your experience with this particular detox facility. I'm sure he'll want to know. Your doctor may also be able to recommend a different facility for you.....one that actually follows doctor's Rx's.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:30 am

step 1 was easy for me in a way.
the day after my last drunk, for the 1st time in my life, I was looking over my life without trying to stuff it. I was seeing that alcohol and myself were the common denominators in all my problems. i didn't want to be what i was any more and gave myself 2 choices- AA or suicide. i chose AA. that 1st meeting( i had been court ordered before but wasn't ready YET), when i heard the 1st step, i broke down crying.i already knew i was powerless and my life was beyond unmanageable. actually, i didn't have a life- i was just existing.
then somewhere early on during the journey, i accepted i was powerless over alcohol and my life was unmanageable. for some reason, accepting it made it ok with me.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby clouds » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 am

Hi Tomsteve, glad you are here.

Proof that court ordered AA attendance can work.
:)
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to The 12 Steps