Step one- is it too easy

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Step one- is it too easy

Postby Star001 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 pm

I am working on Step one. I find this to be very easy for me and that almost makes me worry that I'm not doing something right. Admitting I was powerless is what brought me to AA. Finding all the reasons that I am powerless and things are unmanageable comes very easy to me. Did anyone else feel the day way?

It took me years to admit but now I feel like I can jump in wih both feet and I feel so free once I told people I was powerless. Before I ever admitted that and came back to AA I felt alone and fearful. I'm glad that feeing is gone, I just don't want to rush my way through things.
Star001
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Step one- is it too easy

Postby Reborn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Don't over think this. Have you read the Doctors Opinion up to page 43 in the big book? It explains alcoholism perfectly...you are ahead of the game already my friend. Some folks can not or will not fully concede they are alcoholic. Much like you I was pretty much done with my first step when I walked in..but reading those pages I mentioned helped me to see that I could not beat this on my own...that my alcoholic mind would always lead me back to the drink. Find a person who can guide you through the steps laid out beautifully in the big book and get crackin..nothing changes if nothing changes.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Noels » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Good morning Star :D nope not too easy :D sounds like you are exactly where youre supposed to be :D it took us years to get there but once we realised our powerlessness over alcohol it was a done deal. No further fighting or questions asked :D
Well done. Move onto step 2 which should be easy also as since you've realised you are powerless over alcohol and can not stop on your own it is pretty obvious that only a power greater than us can help and restore us to sanity.
Another member, Brock, posted something on the easiness of step 1 and 2 in another thread which was really well explained and well put. I just can't remember which thread it was. Maybe Brock will help us out and post it again.
Love and light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Star001 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:20 am

Thanks! I do tend to overthink things. I just really want this and I don't want to screw it up. Once I was ready to be done drinking that was it for me. I know I don't hold the power so I have to stay committed to working the program and the steps. I do have a temporary online sponsor right now. I haven't found anyone in person that I feel comfortable enough yet to work the steps with. Still trying to find a HG or the right place at meetings by me.
I have read that but I will read through it again this morning.
It just feels easy because I'm use to examining myself and knowing where things went wrong. The trouble for me was always admitting it. Instead I just picked up the bottle and pretended things were fine.
Star001
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:28 am

I just don't want to rush my way through things.

You are just concluding. There is nothing to work in this step nor in step 2. All the work has been done outside before you entered the fellowship. In step 2 many start immediately searching for GOD. You dont. Its again a simple conclusion. Something worked in others and that can work for me too. Thats all. And then we move forward.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby whipping post » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:58 am

Hi Star,

I am a major over thinker as well. My sponsor kept me moving and simplified things. Keep looking for a good home group and good sponsor. You will find them
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:15 am

Really good advise so far, Noels kindly mentioned a post I did on this before, but most of my feelings on this step have been well covered here. Except one thing, as time goes by we seem to have to 'remind' ourselves about this now and again, as the book says after the work is done we may recoil as if from a hot flame. I actually find the extremely rare occasion that any idea of a drink comes into my thoughts quite comical, I just smile and move on.

Until you get at least past step five you may be a little vulnerable, it is not uncommon to wonder in times of temptation if we were overreacting to the whole drink problem, 'maybe it wasn’t that bad' kind of thoughts, there we repeat in our minds this first step. Also many of us report dreams of drinking, these fade with time, you have the right attitude you won't fail.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Larryp713 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:32 am

I used to rush through step 1 when I was working the steps on my own... I was never successful. But step 1 is simple once you are really there. Getting there is not easy.
As it says in the Big Book, I have a physical reaction to alcohol that, at some point, causes me to lose control over how much I drink once I start. I am not an everytime blackout drinker. But at the beginning of the night, I could not tell you how the night would end. I might have the couple of drinks I intended, or I might wake up the next morning in my vomit. I could honestly not 100% tell you how it would go, and I got in a lot of trouble because of that.
Also from the big book, I have an obsession to drink when I am not drinking. I have learned this instinct and association with alcohol was developed very early in my life. At 12 years old, I had my first real drinks and felt an ease and comfort. My mind associated drinking with those initial impressions for the next 30 years, even though by the end there was very little ease and comfort when I drank. There was misery, guilt and shame, but before I drank, all I could think about was how good it felt to me as a twelve year old. This is why, on my own, I can never stay dry. I had quit for over 2 years on my own after my last DUI, but eventually the opportunity to drink presented itself and I took it.
So I am truly powerless over alcohol. I know that today. But so what? Can't I just deal with the consequences. The last part of the first step is what I never got until I truly took it. My life is unmanageable. Stop sentence. That has nothing to do with alcohol, and everything to do with me. If I don't drastically change how I am living, the actions I take daily, my life will spiral out of control and I will end up drinking again or killing myself. When you hear about people being in a spiritual rut, or a bottom in their recovery, this is a perfect example of that. I have had one or two of those myself.
This is the foundation of my recovery and why, after 19 months of true sobriety, I know I still need to work a program of recovery. Luckily for me, since working the other eleven steps, I have found a new freedom and happiness. I am not here to spread fear and gloom. Far from it. I am here for pure gratitude of the life I have today. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity has mostly slipped away. I get to be part of miracles, not just my own but others. That is my experience, strength, and hope - I wish you all the best - Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby 4thDimension » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:36 pm

First step was very difficult for me. Until I got my a$$ kicked thoroughly and completely by alcohol and surrendered. Flew the white flag. Said "That's it, I'm done, lack of power IS my dilemma". I guess I'd better go find some power...

But it was a long fight.
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby serendipity » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:56 pm

I spent a few years in the program walking the line and wanting to attend meetings, meet people, connect, but I wasn't ready to work the steps... let alone keep attentive at the thought of any spirituality in my life. I'd completely zone out at the mention of The Steps, The Traditions, The Program, or God.

I was in denial of my life truly being unmanageable once the initial devastation wore off. Once bills were paid and anger started to subside, I would somehow begin to feed the lie that perhaps I didn't need AA at all anymore. This time around, I've really come to terms with the fact that I have a disease, an allergy, that will be with me for a lifetime. There is no cure. There isn't such thing as managing. There are no excuses or justifications that suffice anymore. It took me a long time to completely surrender. Each step I work, is much deeper and more thorough than I ever imagined.

I finally understand why "keep coming back" is so important, because if I didn't keep coming back each time I stumbled within the program, I wouldn't have finally gotten to a point to embrace the very thing that is saving my life. But I was hard headed. It's a simple program, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of self searching and a true admittance that I can never, ever, ever, drink again without complete and utter devastation occurring. It happens every time.

Some people just "get it" right away... I was not one of them.

Also, Step 1, in my eyes, is a step that I have to do every day of my life.
serendipity
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:40 am

serendipity wrote:I spent a few years in the program walking the line and wanting to attend meetings, meet people, connect, but I wasn't ready to work the steps... let alone keep attentive at the thought of any spirituality in my life. I'd completely zone out at the mention of The Steps, The Traditions, The Program, or God.

I was in denial of my life truly being unmanageable once the initial devastation wore off. Once bills were paid and anger started to subside, I would somehow begin to feed the lie that perhaps I didn't need AA at all anymore. This time around, I've really come to terms with the fact that I have a disease, an allergy, that will be with me for a lifetime. There is no cure. There isn't such thing as managing. There are no excuses or justifications that suffice anymore. It took me a long time to completely surrender. Each step I work, is much deeper and more thorough than I ever imagined.

I finally understand why "keep coming back" is so important, because if I didn't keep coming back each time I stumbled within the program, I wouldn't have finally gotten to a point to embrace the very thing that is saving my life. But I was hard headed. It's a simple program, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of self searching and a true admittance that I can never, ever, ever, drink again without complete and utter devastation occurring. It happens every time.

Also, Step 1, in my eyes, is a step that I have to do every day of my life.

Can you say all of this again please! Seriously well said as people feel they need to shoot holes in the concept of surrendering to AA and admit they have issues (powerless) with alcohol. I say this is an inside job as it is on me to do my part today to stay sober and remember my last drink because that was a huge pivot point in my life as I know it today.

Thanks for the message.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:55 am

Welcome here, I liked this partly because I wasn't one of them either, it took a couple of tries and a forced stay at a mental hospital, for me to finally take the program seriously.

I completed the steps a fair while ago and live in the spirit of 10, 11 & 12, and just want to say, not in a critical way but hopefully encouraging, that when you say this - “Also, Step 1, in my eyes, is a step that I have to do every day of my life.” And also your saying to yourself that you can “never, ever, drink again,” this is all fine for the time being, but these things in my experience will soon become just a part of a good life.

In other words, and we have discussed things like this here before, recovered alcoholics living in the solution don't really think about the fact that we will never drink again, or for that matter step 1. Not anymore than we think about how tall we are, on the odd occasion we have to answer that question then we think about it, as the book says we will seldom be interested, and if we are it's like pulling away from a hot flame, because “the problem has been removed,” we stay fit spiritually and it stays removed. In fact after saying the problem has been removed it says “It does not exist for us,” so we reach a stage where it is not a conscious part of our thought process, because we don't really think about things which are non existent. I believe you will find these things to be true as you go along, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby serendipity » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:36 am

Brock wrote:

Welcome here, I liked this partly because I wasn't one of them either, it took a couple of tries and a forced stay at a mental hospital, for me to finally take the program seriously.

I completed the steps a fair while ago and live in the spirit of 10, 11 & 12, and just want to say, not in a critical way but hopefully encouraging, that when you say this - “Also, Step 1, in my eyes, is a step that I have to do every day of my life.” And also your saying to yourself that you can “never, ever, drink again,” this is all fine for the time being, but these things in my experience will soon become just a part of a good life.

In other words, and we have discussed things like this here before, recovered alcoholics living in the solution don't really think about the fact that we will never drink again, or for that matter step 1. Not anymore than we think about how tall we are, on the odd occasion we have to answer that question then we think about it, as the book says we will seldom be interested, and if we are it's like pulling away from a hot flame, because “the problem has been removed,” we stay fit spiritually and it stays removed. In fact after saying the problem has been removed it says “It does not exist for us,” so we reach a stage where it is not a conscious part of our thought process, because we don't really think about things which are non existent. I believe you will find these things to be true as you go along, best of luck.

Definitely wonderful words of hope. I certainly aspire to get there. I still occasionally have a thought about picking up, but I've learned to dismiss it with, "I don't do that anymore" instead of dwelling on it and marinating on the pity pot for having that thought. I have found distraction to be a great tool for the time being. Reading, writing, coloring, drawing, music, etc. Anything to move my mind to the next thought.
serendipity
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:30 am

Star001 wrote:I am working on Step one. I find this to be very easy for me and that almost makes me worry that I'm not doing something right. Admitting I was powerless is what brought me to AA. Finding all the reasons that I am powerless and things are unmanageable comes very easy to me. Did anyone else feel the day way?

Me too. I used to hear old timers saying "Get Step 1 and go to meetings" and I used to think "Step 1 must have some kind of magic to it!" but I didn't get it.

Later I came to understand that 'Step 1' to some folk means the same as "You can't drink safely, you're an alcoholic, so don't drink", but that's not what the step says.

Star, you REALISED Step 1 when you were drinking; as you say, that's what brought you to A.A.. It's a kind of admittance that 'my way isn't working; must do something different, or die'. This idea - or unmanageability should hopefully drive us through the remaining other steps.

As a point of interest, I may have been powerless over alcohol, but when alcohol still worked for me, I felt powerful. It was the unmanageability that brought me to A.A..
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 am

I am working on Step one.

This is an action program....Steps one, two and three are not action steps.

We admit something.

We come to believe...Or just become willing to believe...Something.

We make a decision to do something.

At the end of step three they tell us this....

Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning,
page 63.

The first step of this action program is step four....It's in the book. I think too many people get so caught up in "working" the first three steps....They never actually get into action....And that is where we recover.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to The 12 Steps