Came to believe

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Came to believe

Postby PuppyEars » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:50 am

Dr. Jung said:

"Here and there, once in a while, alcoholics have had what are called vital spiritual experiences. To me, these occurrences are phenomena. They appear to be in the nature of huge emotional displacements and rearrangements. Ideas, emotions, and attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives of these men are suddenly cast to one side, and a completely new set of conceptions and motives begin to dominate them."

"Here and there, once in a while" is saying to me this occurrence is rather rare and there will be mostly failures. The way I comprehend this is I was one of the chosen ones*. I am uniquely useful and divinely crafted. That second chance literally fell into my lap. I cannot ever put into words or emotions enough to explain the how and why of the "bright white light" experience I had early in sobriety. To actually feel the presence of a higher power radiating through your entire body, the weightlessness, the explosion of energy in your vision, the momentary hearing loss, is truly a one of a kind experience that I am sure would have many skeptics raising an eyebrow. I was agnostic my entire life (so I totally understand if you are a skeptic) and my experience came about from someone suggesting to me to ask God to reveal himself one night when I was alone in bed. That was it. A simple act of inviting Him in was all that was needed from me. This was a monumental shift in my perception and I have not been the same since. It opened me up enough to allow what Dr. Jung talks about next - happen to me.

Huge emotional displacements and rearrangements: From that moment on, I knew I was involved in something that was way bigger than me (as if) and I felt safe and protected for the first time in life. I stopped running from everything that night and became willing to do whatever I had to do to face and rid of problems. I was finally given a purpose and it was as if my experience confirmed that I was where I was supposed to be, instead of that lost soul that never quite fit in anywhere.

Dr. Jung then uses the words "suddenly cast to one side", this is another word for a miracle and it describes perfectly what happened to me. Suddenly, is a very powerful yet subtle word that I am grateful and fortunate for. Elsewhere in literature, we see phrases such as "slip away", "disappear", "leave us", which are also other magic words that describe a miracle. Before this point, the only thing that slipped away, disappeared and left me was the desire to continue on living. I was content on blotting out existence to the bitter end and everyone knew it but me.

The new set of conceptions that started to dominate me would obviously become the principles outlined in our literature. Direction, balance and sanity were restored in an instant and this is how I came to believe.

*Chosen as in to have a big bang Bill Wilson type experience rather than the educational awakening the book talks about.

Did you have a step 2 experience?
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Re: Came to believe

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:13 am

No.

I am an Appendix II spiritualist.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Barbara D. » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:46 am

Soooo...you have discovered that the AA Steps reinforce the spiritual awakening you had by reading the works of a psychiatrist? I'm sure Dr. Jung is still widely recognized as an expert in his field. But I'm going to keep it simple and stick with our approved literature!!!

I have heard people talk about miraculous instantaneous recoveries. I am one of those education-based slow-motion folks. I got here high-bottom and atheist, and every Step involved a struggle and a surrender. My spiritual awakening happened in bits and pieces as I worked all the Steps in order over a period of perhaps 4 years. I continue to use the Steps, of course, but I only worked them in order one time.

I was able to take Step 1 when I accepted that alcoholism is a disease and my "control" was just a slow progression. I have not had a drink in a long time, but I believe my disease has been getting worse even in remission and that I would not pick up where I left off if I took another drink.

I "came to believe" when I was able to take my Home Group as my Higher Power. This was based on physical reality: 10, 20, 50 drunks had to be stronger than I was by myself, and they knew how to be sober. I know now that with no God belief, I had no choice but to play God in my own life. So, listening to other drunks' ESH and taking their feedback and suggestions was a HUGE step towards sanity for me!!!

Thank you, Puppy, for making me think! Hug, Barbara D.
Barbara D.
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:27 am

I came to believe that AA could restore me to sanity. And THAT WAS a light bulb experience if not a "big bang" experience. I did not have a sudden rearrangement though - that will be a lifetime process.

And I too like the Appendix II Spiritual Experience. Love it love it!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:44 pm

PuppyEars wrote:...."Here and there, once in a while" is saying to me this occurrence is rather rare and there will be mostly failures. The way I comprehend this is I was one of the chosen ones*. I am uniquely useful and divinely crafted. ....

This kind of phenomena may have been considered "rare" way back when Jung first wrote this, but nowadays...not so much. In fact, historical literature on early AA groups provides much anecdotal evidence that these kinds of "vital spiritual experiences" occurred fairly regularly among many early AA members, even Jimmy B., and are still occurring among AA members today. These stories are often printed in AA's Grapevine and are very inspiring. Some have had experiences that involved a "light" or a "voice" or a "presence" or a "feeling" which was significant to that individual and preceded a shift in their consciousness. I had a "white light" experience similar to the one reported by Lowell in the Akron pamphlet, "Spiritual Milestones in Alcoholics Anonymous", and the result was the same for me, i.e. "huge emotional displacements and rearrangements. Ideas, emotions, and attitudes." The first time I read about someone having an experience similar to mine was in Kubler-Ross's book on death and dying. I believe I was "recalled" to life aka born again, and have been living on borrowed time ever since. The way I've come to look at this kind of phenomena is found in Luke 12:48, i.e. "....From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and from him who has been entrusted with much, even more will be demanded." I guess it's up to each individual to decide whether being "chosen" is a blessing or a curse..... :wink:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:11 am

Gooood morning puppy ears :D yes I know exactly what you are talking about and no its not necessarily a one time miracle experience :D I've had personal physical experiences throughout my life :D
Somehow I have this idea that it happened so that I could remember it and know that regardless of what was happening in and during my life that I was never alone and that a Power Greater than me was still there, watching over me. Personally I don't feel that I am a chosen one because of these experiences. I am just a normal human being like every one else who have perhaps been more fortunate that others to have realised who I really am early on in life so accepting my path is possibly easier than the ones who have not had those experiences yet.
Miracles occur daily. I can even say every second. We are just so used to it happening that we don't classify it as a miracle anymore :lol:
Waking up every morning is a miracle. A baby being born is a miracle. A flower or a vegetable growing from a seed is a miracle. The sun coming up and going down is a miracle. Everything involving life from nothing is a miracle.
I am a miracle. You are a miracle. Everyone around us is a miracle. Life is a miracle.
Thanks for the post. It made me realise and remember once again how blessed I am to be here on earth. and to look around me often, to take the time to notice and give thanks for the miracles that is visible in my surroundings a daily basis.
Have an awesome day and chat again soon.
Mwah xxx
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby SmokingRoom210 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Admitting my powerlessness over alcohol was my "lightbulb moment" . It gave me the strength and the courage to do for me, what I had not been doing for myself.
"I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment."
SmokingRoom210
Forums Newcomer

Postby 4thDimension » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:08 pm

PuppyEars,
(do you really have puppy ears?)

Anyway, yes, I had a vital spiritual experience. It might not have been as visual and auditory as some described, but I admitted I was licked, and I asked God as I understood him to take over running the show. I resigned and gave it to Him. And I felt something change, perhaps a slight breeze, I can't remember. The feeling came over me that everything was going to be OK (and I was in a bit of trouble). What is most remarkable is that the obsession to drink left that day and has never returned. No desires to drink and it been 31 years. To me, it is a miracle.

I asked for help and I got it. I will always be very grateful for the new life.
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby clouds » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:41 am

I had two of them. One as a child and one about three months after starting AA.
Now my spiritual growth is more at a turtle speed.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:30 am

Did you have a step 2 experience?

This is my journey so bear with me. So, the first four months I was just going to meetings picking bits and pieces from what I heard from others in meetings. And then pain took me to a site where I found Chris Rs talk. For me, now I think of it, I could give it a label. I got "hope" that it could work for me too. He was talking about experiencing the 10th step promises just in few weeks into working the steps after 7 years of going in and out......And then I started looking for big book study meeting. There is a group where I lived then, still does, that did a joe and charlie like format study. And around that time I hit the jackpot I would say. Found Xa-Speakers. There I found the whole workshop.

The part where Bill saw something working within Ebby and concluded how he may tap into that was so beautifully brought out by the workshop. Still today, I haven't heard anybody explain the process better than those 2 guys.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to The 12 Steps