Step One

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: Step One

Postby clouds » Fri May 06, 2016 4:01 am

clouds wrote:I picked up a pencil when my sponsor told me to start writing down my character defects. Otherwise we had a good amount of discussions in the groups where I sobered up. Plus one to one conversations with AA's on the phone and the after the meeting meetings! :D

I just shared my experience. Maybe I shouldn't have. I had to have some help with understanding the terms in the Big Book before I got to be able to do step 3. I didn't know what self pity was. I couldn't relate to what self centerdness or selfishness was. I didn't undestand a lot of the spiritual terms in the book. So my sponsor had to sepend a bit of time just getting me to be able to relate to what it says from page 60 to the second half of page 63, where we take step three.

I knew what it said but I had never thought about the words self delusion, self pity, or 'our resentments' as it says there before step three and I needed her help to u derstand how this self centeredness is the root of our problems.

Maybe this will help others who are new to the steps. Step three is when I lost the desire to drink I feel like that happened because I turned my will and my life over to God. I experienced peace of mind and freedom from fear once I understood step three and did what it said on pages 62 and 63.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri May 06, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks clouds! I am glad you shared your experience!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri May 06, 2016 1:08 pm

PaigeB wrote:Thanks clouds! I am glad you shared your experience!

I agree.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Stepchild » Fri May 06, 2016 2:52 pm

clouds wrote:I just shared my experience. Maybe I shouldn't have. I had to have some help with understanding the terms in the Big Book before I got to be able to do step 3. I didn't know what self pity was. I couldn't relate to what self centerdness or selfishness was. I didn't undestand a lot of the spiritual terms in the book. So my sponsor had to sepend a bit of time just getting me to be able to relate to what it says from page 60 to the second half of page 63, where we take step three.

I think it's great that you shared your experience. But this a thread about step one. Writing down character defects in step one is something I'd never heard of.

Step three is when I lost the desire to drink I feel like that happened because I turned my will and my life over to God. I experienced peace of mind and freedom from fear once I understood step three and did what it said on pages 62 and 63.

But while we are talking about step 3....Which from my experience is where we make a decision to turn our will and lives over to the care of God....I'm curious if you tell someone new to AA that losing the desire to drink is something they should expect from working the third step? The reason I ask is I make it a point they understand this part where they talk about this decision and the need to launch into action after we make it....

Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.
Page 64

And I don't ask this for your or my benefit...But for anyone new to AA that may be reading along.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:24 pm

PaigeB wrote:Thanks clouds! I am glad you shared your experience!

Spirit Flower wrote: I agree.

And I agree too.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:43 pm

Wiganman wrote:.... I suppose there is no right or wrong answer - just a personal preference.....

Exactly. Whatever works.

AA's literature committee published a new pamphlet last year entitled: "Many Paths To Spirituality"

‪http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-84_manypathstospirituality.pdf‬

AA's co-founder, Bill W., addressed this issue in the BB's Chapter 7 and in the 12 and 12 and again in an 1965 Grapevine article, which was selected as the foreword for the above pamphlet:

“Newcomers are approaching A.A. at the rate of tens of thousands yearly. They represent almost every belief and attitude imaginable. We have atheists and agnostics. We have people of nearly every race, culture and religion. In A.A. we are supposed to be bound together in the kinship of a common suffering. Consequently, the full individual liberty to practice any creed or principle or therapy whatever should be a first consideration for us all. Let us not, therefore, pressure anyone with our individual or even our collective views. Let us instead accord each other the respect and love that is due to every human being as he tries to make his way toward the light. Let us always try to be inclusive rather than exclusive; let us remember that each alcoholic among us is a member of A.A., so long as he or she so declares.”

-Bill W (A.A. Grapevine, July 1965)

Paige posted this proverb in another thread, I loved it, and thank her again for sharing it with us.

My Way up the Mountain

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
All leading to the same place,
So it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only person wasting time
Is the one who runs around the mountain
Telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

~Hindu Proverb~
Last edited by ezdzit247 on Fri May 06, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Fri May 06, 2016 6:44 pm

I can't say I'm surprised by the agreements. But what are we agreeing on?

Are we agreeing that we turn our will and our lives over to the care of God by making the third step decision?....Or does that happen with the action we take with steps four through nine?

Do we agree that the drink problem is removed after step 3?...Even though isn't even brought up with the founders experience until after step five? I think it's fair to say for myself...If the problem was removed after step three....I sure wouldn't have bothered with inventory.

Feel free to chime in.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Fri May 06, 2016 6:57 pm

PaigeB wrote:Makes ya wonder why he would use that though - I mean the Founders took it out for some reason... I guess that should be mentioned. I'll have to research the question for background on WHY, but I am satisfied that they took it (and some other stuff) out.

He does a lot of history in his Big Book study...And the original manuscript is history. They took things out to make it more palatable to the alcoholic....Alcoholics are touchy. There are a lot of things I wish they would have left in. Like...

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our directions

Once you change that to path...It leaves the door open for the many paths debate. It's hard to argue there are many sets of directions.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Fri May 06, 2016 7:10 pm

On a side note...There are many paths to spirituality....But only one path to AA recovery...And it's clear-cut.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sat May 07, 2016 6:07 am

I can't say I'm surprised by the agreements. But what are we agreeing on?

I am afraid that they might just be agreeing with anyone who disagrees with Stepchild, on that note I will say that I agree 100% with what he says here -
There are a lot of things I wish they would have left in. Like...

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our directions

Once you change that to path...It leaves the door open for the many paths debate. It's hard to argue there are many sets of directions.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby JesMe » Sat May 07, 2016 10:58 pm

whipping post wrote:My step 1,2, and 3 were a conversation with my sponsor that lasted about 3 hours ending with the third step prayer.

Well put. My experience, when I finally made the decision that I couldn't keep going on faking my way through each intolerable situation as it came up, was the first three steps really are an exercise of the mind/spirit. Now as it says in the 12X12 "Practicing Step Three" is a life time task. How do we practice Step Three? Through the series of actions that are suggested in Steps Four through Twelve most especially the maintenance Steps of 9, 10, 11 and 12.

Thanks Bro!
JesMe
Forums Newcomer

Postby clouds » Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 am

I agree with people sharing honestly what actually happened when they did the steps.

Its no competition, anyone who gets sober doing these steps has something to share.

Stepchild is correct on a lot of his points.

Actual experince is individual, the steps are the solution to our drinking problem and our living problems if we are alcoholic. What can I say?
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:31 pm

...But what are we agreeing on?

"We", that is Spirit and myself, are each agreeing with what Paige posted about Clouds sharing her experience, which was this:

Thanks clouds! I am glad you shared your experience!
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby wedorecover » Mon May 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Chris R. has a lot of great stuff to say about step one. Just google "step one workshop" and his talk should pop right up.
wedorecover
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:07 pm

Are we agreeing that we turn our will and our lives over to the care of God by making the third step decision?

Step Three says: - Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understood Him.

Three Frogs were sitting on a Lily Pad, one frog made a decision to jump off......how many Frogs were left on the Lily Pad? lol
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to The 12 Steps