Step One

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Step One

Postby Wiganman » Tue May 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Good Morning All.

At a meeting yesterday someone shared that they had "Really got Step one" by writing a 78 page dossier on why they are powerless over alcohol. I have also heard other people say they have written similar length journals. Others say they were given 50 questions to answer by their sponsor.

When I was taken through step one I was just taken through the chapters 1, 2 and 3 and of course the Doctors Opinion to understand the physical allergy, mental obsession and progressive nature of the disease. With my sponsor I discussed how I related to the text in the Big Book - which of course I did. In essence I already knew I was powerless but the information in the book explained why and how I couldn't manage my life and the decision not to drink.

I am now sponsoring someone else and I going through step one the same way I was taken through it. However, these other accounts have me wondering if I am doing this correctly - they have put a doubt in my mind as to the best way to take a newcomer through step one.

If anyone has any ESH on this issue it would be much appreciated.

By the way, this is the 2nd person I have sponsored. The first has gone through all steps and is over 8 months sober and doing well which gives me some encouragement.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Step One

Postby positrac » Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Seems time has changed and everyone needs that 15 minutes of fame even in the rooms of AA. I am totally old school and I was mentored in the big book and the steps were accomplished through reading, and talking with my sponsor about ESH. I believe life is complicated enough with out adding more time in the current 24 hour day to write and totally make sure that I/we/them are really powerless over alcohol. I would recommend to express your knowledge as your were taught and if this person has to write it all out in order to know without any doubt they are powerless then I say more power to them.

Keep it Simple is the best suggestion.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:53 am

At a meeting yesterday someone shared that they had "Really got Step one" by writing a 78 page dossier on why they are powerless over alcohol.

Many in the fellowship think alcohol is the problem. Most of them relate to the craving part. If you are just stuck with the doctors opinion, you could conclude that. For the real problem of the alcoholic, we need to move on to "there is a solution" and "more about alcoholism" chapter where the authors drive home the mind being the main problem of the alcoholic.

There are some great segments in the Drs Opinion about why we drink and what happens when we don't drink:

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.

But Silky puts the focus too much on the body.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby whipping post » Wed May 04, 2016 4:54 am

My step 1,2, and 3 were a conversation with my sponsor that lasted about 3 hours ending with the third step prayer.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Wed May 04, 2016 5:15 am

I am now sponsoring someone else and I going through step one the same way I was taken through it. However, these other accounts have me wondering if I am doing this correctly...

Congratulations on this, I find it very refreshing to hear from a sponsor who wonders what is best for individual people, normally it seems to be this is the way I was shown, so this is the way I will show everyone else.

Some new people, usually those of the type the 12 & 12 is referring to, when they say the bottom had to be raised to where it would hit them, two cars in the garage and so on, these might benefit from a list of questions. We have people coming here who have said they only drink on weekends and so forth, we don't say they aren't alcoholics but I expect some of us have serious doubts, I would hand them the fifty questions. But when a fellow has tried to stop, and it is obvious he is serious about needing help, a list of questions might be an insult, like asking a person crawling through the desert if they are thirsty.

I also find the practice in some meetings of members 'swooning' over newcomers, saying you can't do this alone let me sponsor you, is a bit self defeating. It takes stones to ask for help, so when we leave the new person alone to ask someone for assistance, indicating only that help is available if they need it, I believe that person has pretty well done step one, and is rubbing up on step two. They know they can't do it alone, and this type certainly don't need lists of questions, and the homework we often hear sponsors like to hand out. Best of luck with sponsoring this person.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby clouds » Wed May 04, 2016 5:58 am

Doctor's Opinion, Bill's story and the chapters 'There is a Solution' and 'More About Alcoholism' plus what I heard in meetings from other alcoholics sharing their experience firmed up my understanding of what I already knew, I was powerless over alcohol, my life was unmanageable and no human power could have relieved my alcoholism.

I would have probably been confused if I'd been handed a photocopy of a bunch of questions to answer at home andreport back to a sponsor. Thank God ! I didn't come to AA when that sort ofthing was taking place. :lol:
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 04, 2016 12:00 pm

When I was taken through step one I was just taken through the chapters 1, 2 and 3 and of course the Doctors Opinion to understand the physical allergy, mental obsession and progressive nature of the disease. With my sponsor I discussed how I related to the text in the Big Book - which of course I did. In essence I already knew I was powerless but the information in the book explained why and how I couldn't manage my life and the decision not to drink.

That is very much like my experience. I have heard of lengthy Step work with paperwork and homework and all that... I do not think one way is better than the other really, unless a person feels they need or like that stuff.

It is an inner journey - so long as we take the journey and Become Awake in Spirit.

Thanks for your post. Keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Wiganman » Wed May 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks for everyones input into this. I suppose there is no right or wrong answer - just a personal preference. I am going to continue to do the steps the way I was told by my sponser. That is reading the text in the Big Book, understanding and relating and taking action when instructed. Most of all keep it simple and get through them reasonably quickly. You can always go back through them more thoroughly later if you wish. Thats what I was told anyway.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Stepchild » Wed May 04, 2016 7:33 pm

Wiganman wrote:

I'm a big believer in following the directions carefully...And that's what you did. If they said anything about picking up a pencil I would have.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 am

I picked up a pencil when my sponsor told me to start writing down my character defects. Otherwise we had a good amount of discussions in the groups where I sobered up. Plus one to one conversations with AA's on the phone and the after the meeting meetings! :D
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Stepchild » Thu May 05, 2016 7:51 am

clouds wrote:I picked up a pencil when my sponsor told me to start writing down my character defects.

Seeing as we don't get down to causes and conditions until step 4 I guess my sponsor didn't see a need for that. Sponsors are going to have all kinds of ways they want to take people through these steps...Mainly because that's what they were told. If this has any meaning to it at all...

If we have carefully followed directions, we have begun to sense the flow of His Spirit into us. To some extent we have become God-conscious. We have begun to develop this vital sixth sense.

Page 85

That is the goal we are working towards...I don't know how I could ever forgive myself if someone didn't recover because of some spin I added on that isn't in the directions in the book. I don't mess with that.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Thu May 05, 2016 10:16 am

It's interesting because the only thing you have to do to take the first two steps is pick up the book and read it up to page 60. That's how I took them...No sponsor necessary. If you are convinced of these three very important ideas....

(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

Being convinced, we were at Step Three

If you aren't convinced of those three ideas...Then AA is most likely not the path for you. You don't need it. You see so many people come into meetings or show up on sites like this questioning whether they need AA or not...Whether they are alcoholic or not....Will it work for them or not...And they get so many answers and opinions....And so few just pick up the book and read those 60 pages. It's a shame really.
I have a friend that does a Big Book study and he puts the pages up on a screen with a projector as we go through it.....But he uses the original manuscript instead of the current text....It's good reading. From How It Works...

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our directions.

Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventures before and after, have been designed to sell you three pertinent ideas:

(a) That you are alcoholic and cannot manage your own life.
(b) That probably no human power can relieve your alcoholism.
(c) That God can and will.

If you are not convinced on these vital issues, you ought to re-read the book to this point or else throw it away!
If you are convinced, you are now at step three
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 am

If you are not convinced on these vital issues, you ought to re-read the book to this point or else throw it away!

Is that in the book? I seem to recall it from somewhere....
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:42 pm

But he uses the original manuscript instead of the current text....It's good reading. From How It Works...
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 pm

OH! Of course!

I thought I had seen them. I had the privilege of seeing some of the Original Archive stuff, including a copy of the original text, at a Conference one time - maybe a Region Forum :wink: . I also have the Anniversary Edition of the Big Book.

Makes ya wonder why he would use that though - I mean the Founders took it out for some reason... I guess that should be mentioned. I'll have to research the question for background on WHY, but I am satisfied that they took it (and some other stuff) out.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to The 12 Steps