Step 10 and a dry drunk??

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: Step 10 and a dry drunk??

Postby Brock » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Okay. Please clarify. What in your opinion is being denied?

I think Mary was clear in her statements, that it is possible to deny a problem, by just being grateful for all the other good things which exist around the problem.

It reminded me of the story demonstrating that sobriety is not enough, and the alcoholic farmer in Ch. 6 who came out of the cyclone cellar and said - "Don't see anything the matter here, Ma. Ain't it grand the wind stopped blowin'?"

After the line quoted - “I feel endless gratitude lists and so-called positive thinking is just plain denial.” She said - “Do the gratitude lists but more importantly, get honest. Deal with the thing that will make you break down.” It makes more sense when the other two sentences are included.
How is engaging in "endless gratitude lists" to correct a chemical imbalance "just plain denial"?

I am not sure that a recovering alcoholic, should automatically be assumed to be suffering from “a chemical imbalance,” we are talking about alcoholics here, not people suffering from clinical depression, for whom the 'scientific research' has confirmed the daily gratitude lists provides “positive changes.”
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:20 pm

I am not sure that a recovering alcoholic, should automatically be assumed to be suffering from “a chemical imbalance,” we are talking about alcoholics here, not people suffering from clinical depression, for whom the 'scientific research' has confirmed the daily gratitude lists provides “positive changes.”

Suggest you research scientific studies on the effects of long term alcohol use on the bodies and brains of alcoholics and become better informed on the subject. In a nutshell, EVERY alcoholic who enters recovery is suffering from a chemical imbalance.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Brock wrote:I am not sure that a recovering alcoholic, should automatically be assumed to be suffering from “a chemical imbalance,”

By definition, it's impossible to be a drinking or recovering alcoholic without having a chemical imbalance.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby desypete » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:10 pm

when i was first around my mood swings were huge, in the meetings and after a meeting i would be happy full of promise and wanting to change everything in a matter of mins but by the time i got back to my flat and my head had talked me out of making a start on any of the changes i had planed i would be feeling low again, a feeling i see that was how i had always been if i didnt have something to look forward to my mood would be low and the world was an ugly place and poor me

thanks to many years of trying to work on me, by the smiple just for today card as well as the sponsor, the steps etc i had found that if i do something i dont want to do at a time i really dont want to do it ie sitting there in my head feeling down and not able to move as i just want a magic pill to make me happy etc, well it really does work to change my mood, 12th step work helped me to start to do things i really didnt want to do and the results were peace and contentment but i had to keep on working at it and the faith it really does work grows

when my 16 year old son died, i died to, i never wanted to carry on anymore, i spent months locked up in my room, curled up in a ball trying to sleep past my pain, as i found out if i could sleep i wouldnt feel anything so it was my escape
but i had a home to run and other kids to care for so i really couldnt afford the luxary of being depressed i had to get things done which i see today as the best thing that could of happend for me as if i had a wife or someone else who could of taken care of me i would still be feeling lost and depressed to this day

today i help people who live in poor areas of the world, who have no food no clean water, and would you beleive it there spirit is huge, they dont suffer from depression as they have to get on and yet they smile and seem happy with just a bowl of rice
so to me depression does seem to be a problem for well off people in the world ? but that is just my take on it
also i have had to work dam hard to get myself up and going again without the need for mind altering drugs as i refused to take any when i seen a dr for my depression and they respected my wish as i told them i am a recovering alcoholic and i dont believe in anything mind altering at all

i do believe we all have that spirit inside of us if we choose to work for it to be as happy as we make up our mind to be

one other reason i decided i would never take a magic pill is i have seen some in the fellowship who went down the depression route and end up with pills then they needed other pills to combat the side effects of the first lot of pills then there was even more lows i have seen people sunk and end up in homes so i made the decision i would not follow there example

so in short depression to me can we worked through and it means the person has to face it nothing will change them unless they put the work in themselves
you can sit and wait for a flash of light that will suddenly make you want to do things or you can just get up and start to do somthing and it really does work but you have to stick at it and not give in after 5 mins

just like working the steps we have to stick at it
desypete
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to The 12 Steps