Step one- never tried this before

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.
clouds
Forums Long Timer

Re: Step one- never tried this before

Post by clouds »

Hey Allison, Good going on your step one!

How's step two going?
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

clouds wrote:If you know you are unable to handle booz ( as in you try to limit amounts or stop and cant) and you are feeling you can't stop on your own, you have got step one done.
Well, not exactly. There are two parts to step 1. The alcoholic has to admit that their life has become unmanageable. This part of step 1 was important to me because I got that I was powerless when I found my a$$ involuntarily in rehab. But I argued the entire time I was In rehab that my life was not unmanageable and that I was a functioning alcoholic and nobody could tell me any different. So as soon as I got out of rehab, my first stop was the liquor store.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Allison
Forums Newcomer

Post by Allison »

Ha! You sound just like me. Luckily for me I am very spiritual and religious. I don't find step two to be an issue. Although I have not always kept with my faith I do believe my god "GOD" will restore me to my sanity.
Thank for the reply. Today is bad. My two year old sent me in to the kitchen cringing and pulling my hair out wanting to take a drink so bad. I was putting shoes on to walk to the store. I called my sponsor and am at my second meeting today and at least I safe for now. Literally one hour at a time! Thanks for responding
Allison

Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Post by Reborn »

I can relate to the one hour at a time. Early in recovery it was sometimes one second at a time. Every time I start to question if I'm truly powerless I think back to detoxing and almost dying in a hospital bed. I think of that hopeless state of mind and body and how much I don't want to go back there. Today that hellish memory is one of my greatest assets, not only does it remind me of where I came from but it helps a new person feel comfortable with me.

Simply put if I could drink like a normal person I would do it all time(there in lies the paradox)

The steps have set me free from the obsession and I truly believe if you put your whole heart into working this program you will know what true freedom really is.

Glad you are here!!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132

Allison
Forums Newcomer

Post by Allison »

I cannot wait to have that feeling! Thank you for sharing your experiences with me

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

How are you doing, Allison? Are you still with us?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Allison wrote:How do I know if I have worked the first step?
I read somewhere that Dr Bob (A.A. co-founder) used to take people through the first three steps like this:

"Are you an alcoholic?" (Step 1)

"Do you believe in God?" (Step 2)

If the answers were the affirmative, they'd then do the Step 3 prayer and get on with Step 4 to 12.

Job Jobbed; no messing.

I was lucky in that I found a Big Book sponsor. We didn't have long chats about the intricacies or the philosophy of the Steps, we just got stuck in and did them. I've plenty of time to reflect on that stuff after I've had a spiritual awakening.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

How do I know if I have worked the first step?
Joe and Charlie workshop was a great tool for me to understand the whole process. They point out, this step you do outside the fellowship, before coming into it. Once you have experimented all the possibility like the book talks about in the first 44 pages of the book, you arrive at a conclusion that you are powerless over alcohol and without that your life already become un-manageable or will become un-manageable.

Now about the powerlessness. Did I obsess about alcohol? Yes. I would wake up with the thought of having a drink. I would promise my wife that I will stay alcohol free atleast during the week but sometime into the middle of the week, my mind would trick me into taking that 1 drink and then the craving would kick in and would end up drinking several drinks that day and then will be caught in the vicious cycle for next we days. Yeah their is that saying "one is too many but thousand not enough" but the main problem of the alcoholic is the mind rather than the body (physical craving).

And when I am not drinking, I become really anxious, restless, irritable and get snappy at people, my road rage will kick in, angry at the world that I can drink blah blah.. this is the internal discomfort the un-manageability. Thats why I can't relate with people who can stick around the fellowship not working the steps for years.

If you can relate with the powerlessness and un-manageability, you are done with step 1, time to move to next step.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

My first sponsor had me spend about a week trying to figure out what i am powerless over in my life: what it means to me. Then another week on unmanageability. I read part of the BB and 12x12 on step one. After about a month, we moved on.
...a score card reading zero...