Steps 2 and 3

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Steps 2 and 3

Postby Dan2000 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:22 am

Hi All

STEPS 2 and 3

Step 2 Came to believe that a power greater than myself, could restore us to sanity.

I had a hard time believing in God, even though this step, doesn't say God or religion, that's how I reacted to it.
I was brought up in a devote catholic family, I had to go to church on Sunday's and went to Sunday school as well, for many years.
However I think, when I was suppose to be learning all this stuff, I was looking out the window, daydreaming and such.
So I just had a hard time believing in something that I couldn't see or touch, I needed something more tangible.
The only time I ever prayed, prior to coming to AA, was when I was in some kind of trouble or if I was going to have surgery and stuff like that.

For me, the disease of alcoholism went like this.
Every morning I'd wake up to go to work and say to myself, I need to take a break from drinking today, my body needs a rest, I usually had the dry heaves and the shakes until lunch time. After lunch, when I had something in my stomach, and my body would start feeling a little better. My mind would start thinking of drinking. (this is the mental obsession) Then 2 o'clock would come around and my mind would start telling itself, that I should go down the bar to say hello to the guys and just have 2 beers, then go home. When I got out of work, around 3:30, I would go straight to the bar, as soon as I picked up that first drink, (the physical compulsion) kicked in and I stayed at the bar until I was drunk.
I was "powerless over alcohol" it called the shots, it said what I did from day to day, my whole life revolved around alcohol, not the other way around.
Every day, was a repeat, drink, drink, drink, for many years.
I was not able to stay sober, even for one day on my own.

Then when I started to come to AA, I was staying sober and I know it wasn't me that was keeping me sober.
This is when I came to believe that a power greater than myself was working in my life. It's as simple as that.

What you choose to be your Higher Power can be one of many examples, it does not need be religious, although it can be, if YOU wish. Your higher power could be, AA in general, a group of drunks, the God of your understanding, etc..

You just need to believe that there is a power (other than yourself) working in your life. I was a daily drunk, the disease of alcoholism called the shots, it controlled me, I could never control it.
Now I was sober, why wouldn't I believe that there was a higher power working in my life? This fact was plain to see.

Step 3 Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him.

Our "wills"...... equal....... our thoughts

Our "lives"...... equal........ our actions

So we turn over, our thinking and our actions to the care of God, as we understand him.

We knew in Step 2 that there was a higher power working in our lives, that was keeping us sober...not our wills...my willpower never, ever worked.

Remember in Step 1, we admitted to some problems (I am the problem) (On page 64 in the big book it says, our liquor was but a symptom of our disease)

In Step 2, we found a solution (a higher power) and this was the solution because our "wills" did not work, in our "lives".

So now in Step 3 we are going to try something new, (Gods will) and we know his will works because we are sober today and because of this, it can be the basis of this very important decision.

Remember it is only a decision, We cannot act on this decision, until we do some of the other steps. We need to find out, what's been blocking us from God.

Steps 4 thru 10 are the action steps, by doing these steps they will reveal to us, what's been blocking us from God.

A.A. is a spiritual program, it is not a religious program, there is a difference.

The miracle happens when we get sober. The magic happens, when we apply the principles (steps) to all our affairs.

NOTE: The 12 Steps need to be done in sequence, because in Step 1 (the problem) had to be taken so we can do Step 2 (the solution) because we couldn't see the solution until we understood the problem, then in Step 3 we made a decision.

Dan2000
Remember in all we do, it's Progress,not perfection.
Dan2000
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Steps 2 and 3

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 am

yeah, enormous amount of time is spent figuring out this God stuff. good topic. we experience the power by cleaning up. thats why bill w has this statement after "there is a solution":

There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 am

Excellent points there by Dan, thanks for posting it, first class explanation of 2 & 3.

I was surprised when I came into the program, at how many of us had our concept of God cockeyed thanks to organized religion, I also grew up force fed on the Catholic church, and the same thing happened to me.

There are a few priests of that church who seem keen on turning this around. Fr. Richard Rohr who I speak of here often, once worked at a church where AA meetings were held. After being invited to meetings, he says whatever was happening in those rooms felt a lot more like what church should be, or words to that effect. It can be found around the 13min mark on his you tube video, 'Breathing Underwater' (spirituality and the 12 steps). In some areas I suppose meetings may have this spirituality, unfortunately in mine they do not, and you get cross eyed looks if you talk 'too much' spirituality.

I think all religions are seeing the truth we in AA have found, that only when we admit absolute powerlessness, and then turn to a power greater than ourselves, can we have the sort of spiritual experience required for a life of relative serenity, some of the spiritual writings refer to this as dying before we physically die.
The seed has been planted in his mind. He knows that thousands of men, much like himself, have recovered. B.B. P.113
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby positrac » Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 am

Sure brought back a lot of memories I haven't had in a long long time and it is good to reflect my last drunk as a reminder of my capabilities when drinking.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Excellant post, Dan!

Thanks....... =biggrin
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:02 am

Geez. This is such a powerful topic in my life. The Higher Power and not giving up, but trusting. In every part of life I have had to learn to trust the higher power. Drinking is a big one, but every other struggle in life as well even with the little things like traffic or lines. Embrace it for what it is. Great one, I am going to be thinking again all day.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby mule » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Dan2000 wrote:Hi All

STEPS 2 and 3

Step 2 Came to believe that a power greater than myself, could restore us to sanity.

I had a hard time believing in God, even though this step, doesn't say God or religion, that's how I reacted to it.
I was brought up in a devote catholic family, I had to go to church on Sunday's and went to Sunday school as well, for many years.
However I think, when I was suppose to be learning all this stuff, I was looking out the window, daydreaming and such.
So I just had a hard time believing in something that I couldn't see or touch, I needed something more tangible.
The only time I ever prayed, prior to coming to AA, was when I was in some kind of trouble or if I was going to have surgery and stuff like that.

Every morning I'd wake up to go to work and say to myself, I need to take a break from drinking today, my body needs a rest, I usually had the dry heaves and the shakes until lunch time. After lunch, when I had something in my stomach, and my body would start feeling a little better. My mind would start thinking of drinking. (this is the mental obsession) Then 2 o'clock would come around and my mind would start telling itself, that I should go down the bar to say hello to the guys and just have 2 beers, then go home. When I got out of work, around 3:30, I would go straight to the bar, as soon as I picked up that first drink, (the physical compulsion) kicked in and I stayed at the bar until I was drunk.
I was "powerless over alcohol" it called the shots, it said what I did from day to day, my whole life revolved around alcohol, not the other way around.

Then when I started to come to AA, I was staying sober and I know it wasn't me that was keeping me sober.
This is when I came to believe that a power greater than myself was working in my life. It's as simple as that.

What you choose to be your Higher Power can be one of many examples, it does not need be religious, although it can be, if YOU wish. Your higher power could be, AA in general, a group of drunks, the God of your understanding, etc..

You just need to believe that there is a power (other than yourself) working in your life. I was a daily drunk, the disease of alcoholism called the shots, it controlled me, I could never control it.
Now I was sober, why wouldn't I believe that there was a higher power working in my life? This fact was plain to see.

Step 3 Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him.

So we turn over, our thinking and our actions to the care of God, as we understand him.

We knew in Step 2 that there was a higher power working in our lives, that was keeping us sober...not our wills...my willpower never, ever worked.

Remember in Step 1, we admitted to some problems (I am the problem) (On page 64 in the big book it says, our liquor was but a symptom of our disease)

In Step 2, we found a solution (a higher power) and this was the solution because our "wills" did not work, in our "lives".

So now in Step 3 we are going to try something new, (Gods will) and we know his will works because we are sober today and because of this, it can be the basis of this very important decision.

Remember it is only a decision, We cannot act on this decision, until we do some of the other steps. We need to find out, what's been blocking us from God.

Steps 4 thru 10 are the action steps, by doing these steps they will reveal to us, what's been blocking us from God.

A.A. is a spiritual program, it is not a religious program, there is a difference.

The miracle happens when we get sober. The magic happens, when we apply the principles (steps) to all our affairs.

NOTE: The 12 Steps need to be done in sequence, because in Step 1 (the problem) had to be taken so we can do Step 2 (the solution) because we couldn't see the solution until we understood the problem, then in Step 3 we made a decision.

Dan2000

I think step three can in some ways be a blind leap, especially for those of us who have always tendes to fend for ourselves and eschew the help of others. Turning your life over to something that you possibly didn't have a strong conviction in can be a daunting endeavor. Will we feel somethin? Will we feel everything? Or will we feel everything.
Of course not everyone can expect an epiphany. That is why the steps are considered work and necessary. I do know that the idea of reaching for something with infinite more strength than me is comforting.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:14 am

mule wrote:
Dan2000 wrote:Hi All

STEPS 2 and 3

Dan2000

I think step three can in some ways be a blind leap, especially for those of us who have always tendes to fend for ourselves and eschew the help of others. Turning your life over to something that you possibly didn't have a strong conviction in can be a daunting endeavor. Will we feel somethin? Will we feel everything? Or will we feel everything.
Of course not everyone can expect an epiphany. That is why the steps are considered work and necessary. I do know that the idea of reaching for something with infinite more strength than me is comforting.

i think i have just given up trying to understand it all as there are always more and more questions when i find answers

i have reached a point were i just accept it works
a bit like if you switch a light switch on you dont need a full paged explanation on what is going on you just know if you press that switch the light will come on

or if you turn a tap on then water will come out, i dont really need to know where its comeing from or how it all has been put together and when you think about gods or powers out there or the universe i dont know anyone who knows what its all about

i know plenty of people who are on the quest to try to figure it all out but like i said when an answer comes to one part of it all then more questions come

so in aa terms i keep it all simple and just accept these days that is works all i have to do is work it and stop trying to understand it all or analyse stuff till it drives me nuts
desypete
Forums Contributor

Return to The 12 Steps