New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Newbie

Post by PaigeB »

Hibernating is not good! Get out to meetings every day, or just get out in the yard once a day if that is all you can do. Meetings on line here and a 24/7 chat lounge are available at http://www.e-aa.org/chat.php
register, confirm through email then come back and sign in!

For migraines drink lots of water... I have water with me at the time! 8 glasses a day at least!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

Welcome, Chicken! And you're not one or you wouldn't be here.

Victor and I share one thing; I was going through at least a half bottle of scotch (half gallon sized bottle at that) a day there towards the end of my drinking career. That was a little more than three months ago. Early on into sobriety I made as many meeting as I could, morning, noon and night 'cause that's when I would drink - morning, noon and night. I was turning into a fat slob and my health was going down the toilet as were all my relationships with family and friends alike. I can honestly say that the program saved not only my life, but my marriage and many, MANY friendships as well. Granted, three months sobriety is nothing compared to many within these walls or the physical walls of the halls I find myself in throughout the week, but to me it is an eternity in terms of how long I had been drinking and how far it had progressed. Of course, I was blind until it reached out and literally slapped in the face. I can only thank God there were no legal issues that came as a result of my drinking, but there sure could have been.

Congrats on the 13 days and keep coming back. I found that this place has helped me a great deal. Much of my time here is spent reading and letting it soak in. Also seeing how similar some stories are to my own.

The very best to you!
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

Chicken
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Chicken »

Thank you for the support.

I am trying not to hibernate at home. I have been to one meeting ....which I suspect will be my "home" group. It was freaking scary.

I can make two meetings a week. One on a Wednesday and one on a Saturday.

I am isolating as most of my "mummy" friends and I chat over a glass of wine (them) or a few glasses (me). Plenty of my drinking is also out at dinner over the weekends. Not sure I want to go to the local sushi place or pitza den right now.

I've organised to have a breakfast with such a friend over the weekend. So that I don't have to go into great detail about no wine.

I went down the AA road a couple of years ago for a month - Many of my friends like me the way I am.......and "poo poo" my non-drinking stance. So I am really the only one that wants to stop - it feels like. But then they do not know all of it. When they are having a few with me, but I am on what I would rate as a binge - They don't see me having the extra drink in my coffee mug once the party is over or see me swig from the bottle to avoid my boyfriend's eagle eyes. They don't know the sneaky side of it all.

Day 16 !

Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Post by Hanna »

firemarshal wrote:
Chicken wrote:Day 13....have been hibernating when not at work. Not ready for social interaction with friends.
Hi Chick! I'm 10 days in now and I have done the same thing lol... I feel like I might could, but I need some more time under my belt before exposing myself to my friends drinking again. Good luck and keep up the good work. Have you made it to a meeting yet? They help me tremendously, and having people to call when I feel like drinking has saved my rear end a couple times now.
Day 6 for me. Long time coming. Lost me license April 11 after a March 5 minor car accident-dui. Continued to drink until I lost a good job May 11th. Continued to drink to numb me from the anxiety, shame, guilt and embarrassement I had not only caused me, but my family. Husband of 27 years and a 24 yr old daughter and 21 yr old son. June 16th I took my last drink. My husband was serious this time, he was filing for divorce, my kids were fed up. I woke up Sunday morning with a moment of clarity. I was not going to drink today. I went to my first meeting Monday night. I wake up each morning and decide to pray instead of worry. Day 6 the aniexty is lessening.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace

kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Post by kenyal »

Hanna, that's a tough couple of decisions in a row. Good for you in making the efforts you have to this point.

Welcome here, hope to hear how things go for you.

Chicken
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Chicken »

Welcome Hanna

xxxxx