New. Glad I found you all.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
catkins73
Forums Newcomer

Re: New. Glad I found you all.

Post by catkins73 »

MadameM wrote:Hi Joe, welcome.

I still haven't gone to a meeting. I've been sober a week. A whole week. Had some cravings tonight. Thank goddess for Halloween candy, lol.

I know its only a matter of time, I need to go to a meeting and find a sponsor.

I can't be a social recluse forever.
When you go, go with an open mind Madame. I had all of these pre-existing notions of what it would be like. It has been absolutely NOTHING like I expected. It's a good thing to do. When you go you probably won't get a sponsor right away, but there were "temporary" sponsors that all wrote their name and phone # on a card for me to call them if I needed someone to talk to while finding the right fit for a sponsor. I'm on day 3 with my third meeting tonight. I'll keep posting on here as often as I can. My biggest obstacle has been my inability to sleep normal hours. Thank God I took the week off to do this.

The other thing for me is the depression. Last night I ran and hid in my bathroom and sobbed for 5 minutes. I had no idea why I was crying. Shortly after I was done, I thought of the silliness of it all and had a good laugh (hope that doesn't make sound crazy but oh well). I think I've been self medicating with alcohol to "cure" my depression. My doc, whom I've been seeing since I was very young, thinks it's more anxiety than depression but I'm going to make a follow up appointment and seek professional counseling as well.

Thanks all for letting me vent.

joe

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Of course you are depressed, Joe. Alcohol is a depressant and you still have it in your system. As for the crying, it's natural for a newly sober person's emotions to be all over the place. Hang in there.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

catkins73
Forums Newcomer

Post by catkins73 »

Lali wrote:Of course you are depressed, Joe. Alcohol is a depressant and you still have it in your system. As for the crying, it's natural for a newly sober person's emotions to be all over the place. Hang in there.
Well that explains it then. Thanks for the info Lali!!