Advice needed

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Re: Advice needed

Post by Mike O »

That's nicely put, Victor.
Thanks.
:)

sobernomatterwhat
Forums Enthusiast

Post by sobernomatterwhat »

MDSMITH for years I thought like you. I don't have a drinking problem because my story isn't as bad as some of the other stories of alcoholics. So I kept drinking and my story ended up being as bad as some of those stories. You're so lucky that you can still quit drinking when things aren't that bad. Do you really want to wait until things get really bad because most likely they eventually will?

jplymouth
Forums Newcomer

Post by jplymouth »

MDSmith, as a person with a tendency to over think things I think what you need to do is look at what you wrote to get your answers. You think your drinking is out of control and there are quite a few examples you put here that signify this so it seems you have that answer. I see you feel your drinking is acceptable because you haven’t lost the important things in your life but you certainly don’t want to wait until you do. I’ve been going to meetings because of a traffic accident, luckily no one was hurt but I realized I’d never get a second chance for that to be the case if I were to let myself drink and drive again. I don’t ever want to feel that way again because if I hurt someone one I don’t know if I could ever forgive myself. I’ve always been able to stop drinking when I made the choice but it doesn’t mean alcohol doesn’t have the potential for harm no matter when it is used. I don’t have the same issues either as most of the people on here but I know they have a lot to teach me and there looks like people are offering some good information.

Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Post by Jaywalker Steve »

Hi and welcome!

Early on I struggled with whether or not I was an alcoholic. My mind was playing terrible tricks on me constantly to the point I couldn't 'differentiate the true from the false'. Finally I asked my sponsor and spilled my guts. His answer stays with me to this day. He said, 'Steve, I can't tell you if your an alcoholic or not. Only you can. However, I haven't met very many social drinkers here.' He suggested I read the Doctor's Opinion, page 21 and the first paragraph on page 44 of our Big Book which reads, 'If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.' . I am forever grateful for the use of the word 'or'.

God Bless,
Steve
Last edited by Jaywalker Steve on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH

RustyS
Forums Enthusiast

Post by RustyS »

Well put Steve. Thanks.

--Rusty

MadameM
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MadameM »

I have caught a glimpse. And I don't want to lose it. A glimpse of the life I am supposed to lead.

The longer I am sober, the more I realize just how sick I've been.

"Peeling the onion of denial".

Ain't that the truth.

MyNameisVictor
Forums Contributor

Post by MyNameisVictor »

Well put, MadameM
MadameM wrote:I have caught a glimpse. And I don't want to lose it. A glimpse of the life I am supposed to lead.

Ain't that the truth.
"They said a miracle would happen on my 90th day of sobriety, and it did happen...I was sober."
-Anonymous from the Trinity Group of AA in NYC

LadyByrd
Forums Enthusiast

Post by LadyByrd »

MadameM wrote:I have caught a glimpse. And I don't want to lose it. A glimpse of the life I am supposed to lead.

Ain't that the truth.
That is just so true! Great stuff indeed!

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd »

Just wanted welcome you and just keep posting
John D grateful alcoholic
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous