The way I drank

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

The way I drank

Postby Norwejn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:12 am

I just posted something and it got me thinking. The following is for the benefit of the newcomer-

The way I used to drink was pure misery, especially towards the end. I have to remind myself of this to ensure that I never go back.

I was a lone wolf. Going out with my buddies, throwing a few down over a football game and having "fun"- never happened in the last 10 or so years. I gravitated to the darkest watering holes, dives- places that I could grab a seat and not be bothered with loud music, fun and merriment. Beer and whiskey, keep 'em coming. I was there not for the social aspect of it, I was there seeking out oblivion.
Day after miserable day.
Once my pump was primed, I immediately needed something else. The places I visited I could score anything-any time.
I had no dreams. My life was quite simple. Drag my sorry a$$ outta bed, drink a pot of coffee, smoke a half dozen cigarettes, shower, go to work, watch the clock for 8-10 hours, get off and find the oblivion I needed to cope with every day life.

So when I say that my future was 'narrow', I mean that there was no hope for an end to this cycle. There was little doubt in my mind that I would die a miserable drunk, with nothing to show for my time here among humanity.

Alcoholics Anonymous injected a huge dose of hope in my life. I encountered a community of people, just like myself that was seeking a better life. After doing what was suggested, I was led to a higher power.
THIS was my purpose in my life- to walk among people fearless, because I had God with me at all times. I was now free to admire the wonderment of this life, to love people and to share this gift with others!

I doubt that there are many of us who don't share this story. I hear MY story allll the time in my travels. If you are new, and this sounds familiar, you owe yourself a better life. This is not a fairy tale. True, meaningfull happiness and glory is right around the corner...
"...no matter how far down the scale we have fallen, we can see how our experience can benefit others...that feeling of uselessness and self-pity will leave us..."
When we drew near to Him he disclosed Himself to us!
Norwejn
Forums Contributor

Return to For the Newcomer