We have a 3 fold disease.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: We have a 3 fold disease.

Postby Brock » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 am

Jamesrichardson wrote:This is incorrect, we have a 2 fold illness. The spiritual disease stems from resentment & not from alcoholism. The spiritual malady is a human condition & not specific to the alcoholic. It even states this in your own Big Book, but you will be to blind or ignorant to accept this information.

Welcome to e-AA James, it’s a pity your first post is accusing another member of being blind or ignorant, I think we would be better off if you pointed to the area in the book which supports your two fold definition.

Maybe in my old age I am going a little blind, but I am not ignorant, and I read this in the chapter ‘How It Works,’ (I have highlighted a few words) -
Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically.

The way I read that we certainly start off three fold – spiritual, mental & physical, when the spiritual is overcome we “straighten out mentally and physically.” Still three things!
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:49 pm

That is how I see it too Brock, but I do wish that Jamesrichardson (hope that's not your real name anonymity & all) would discuss his views with the specific back up he has from the Big Book or other conference approved literature. I am always interested in spirituality & humanism.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 am

Jamesrichardson wrote:This is incorrect, we have a 2 fold illness. The spiritual disease stems from resentment & not from alcoholism. The spiritual malady is a human condition & not specific to the alcoholic. It even states this in your own Big Book, but you will be to blind or ignorant to accept this information.

disease and malady mean the same thing.
so apparently a one fold illness?
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Roberth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Hello James My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I did notice you said “It even states this in your own Big Book.” Makes me wonder if you have had a bad experience with AA.
AS for myself I didn’t and still don’t believe every word in the big book. I tried not to run around quoting it likes it was, but through trial and error I have found out that many things in the book are true in similar ways.
My alcoholic actions did corrupted my thinking and I was nowhere close to being n a spiritual path. Whether that is a spiritual disease or just being a butthead makes little different to me. What does make a difference to me it that I no longing had to drink and I am becoming a better person by doing the things the big book suggests.
Call it what you want but it doesn’t change my life experiences and that is all should be sharing anyways.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:31 am

PaigeB wrote:That is how I see it too Brock, but I do wish that Jamesrichardson (hope that's not your real name anonymity & all) would discuss his views with the specific back up he has from the Big Book or other conference approved literature. I am always interested in spirituality & humanism.

It's all semantics. I've yet to see someone walk into AA who wasn't suffering from spiritual sickness. At that stage, who cares which symptom is cause or effect? "Hey, I'm unable to breathe as my lungs are full of smoke due to my pants being on fire". It's just not worth debating with them whether their lung problem was either causing or resulted from something else, what's required either way is Action.

In all this verbal masturbation, the only point really worth making is being overlooked: the problem is not alcohol. That is the only information the newcomer really needs to know; that if the problem is alcohol, they'd have fixed it already.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer