Hi to all and thanks to all!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Espoir
Forums Newcomer

Hi to all and thanks to all!

Post by Espoir » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:22 am

Hi,my name is John and I am alcoholic!

40 years ago I braved walking into my first meeting. I wasn't sure then if I was alcoholic or not! Hearing the ten shares that day shocked me into a state of "I do that and that", so many voices from strangers who for many different reasons ended up the same place as me!

I registered on here yesterday and have spent some time reading many of the newcomers posts!
The same bells are ringing as did many years ago!

My biggest problem in following the steps again today is I must work on my belief in a higher power, whether its a belief in the group collective or my own beliefs I am a bit lost with that.

Anyway here I am, day 1!

Thankyou all for your shares and advice given to other newcomers on here?

J

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: Hi to all and thanks to all!

Post by Brock » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 am

Welcome here John, nice to have you here with us.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello Espoir and welcome.

Many times it is alright to just say our Higher Power is a Mystery and works mysteriously.

My beliefs have changed over the years from what I believed when I came in, to considering and trying
beliefs and ways of others.

I would not put to much strain on understanding exactly what it is you believe and rely on the action of turning things over
to anything outside yourself instead of straining for an understanding.

I hope this makes some sense.

My experience is that more will be revealed and it is usually how I least expect it.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Welcome John.
...a score card reading zero...

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi John. I am glad you are here.
Keep posting.

Espoir
Forums Newcomer

Post by Espoir » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:01 am

Hi again and thanks for the welcomes!

Innermost
"I would not put to much strain on understanding exactly what it is you believe and rely on the action of turning things over
to anything outside yourself instead of straining for an understanding".

It does make sense, in that I have come to a decision to just trust in what once worked for me!
I think I got a bit lost in trying to understand why or how it worked rather than just trusting in it because it worked!

As I am only entering day 2 I am not sober, so I shall simply thank "whatever" for day 1 and ask for the courage for day 2.

Apart from that my target is simple, read some more shares on here and go digging for my copy of the "big book".

Thanks to all of you!

J

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 am

Espoir wrote:Hi again and thanks for the welcomes!

my target is simple, read some more shares on here and go digging for my copy of the "big book".

Thanks to all of you!

J

Welcome, John. Glad you are here. Keep coming back.

You may also read the Big Book online:

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous online link is
http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am

My biggest problem in following the steps again today is I must work on my belief in a higher power, whether its a belief in the group collective or my own beliefs I am a bit lost with that.
Hi! Paige here - alcoholic and atheist. Haven't found it necessary to take a drink since Aug. 1, 2009! I suggest you read the Appendix on Spiritual Experience several times when you get your Big Book. It helped me a great deal. In fact, it is less than 2 pages - you could probably memorize it as a Prayer if you are so inclined!

Rome was not built in a day ~ and neither was any Higher Power!

AA was my first real Power Greater than myself, after all they were all able to stay sober somehow! - and even just "What would a good AA woman say/do" were some of my first ideas about what my HP would be. Lucky for me, I had a blank slate, so additions and subtractions were of no bother to me at all.

I just want to point out ... 12. Having had a spiritual experience as THE RESULT of THESE STEPS... So yeah - Getting busy doing and maybe by the end of Step 9 you will be able to say that many of the Promises (page 83-84) have some true for you too!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:42 pm

When you find your big book, check out the appendix on spiritual experience. Focus on: an unsuspected inner resource...

Much easier than god.
...a score card reading zero...

Espoir
Forums Newcomer

Post by Espoir » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:27 am

PaigeB wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am
AA was my first real Power Greater than myself
Hi PaigeB
I never realy thought about it till now, the above was probably true for me too!

What I do know is life was unmanageable and after eight weeks of 3 live meetings a week, I was walking down a street, it wasn't a nice day weather wise and there were no other reasons to feel good, but I did feel good, mentally/spiritually (as in me) and also health! I have never forgotten that day!
I know that day was created by the people I met and the collective power of the AA groups I attended!

I thank them all and you Paige for the thoughts created in me by your words!

Thanks to all of you for help!

I know what I have to do is the steps one by one and keep reviewing them regularly.

Thanks
J day 3