First Time Actively Seeking Help

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
HammerBill
Forums Newcomer

Re: First Time Actively Seeking Help

Post by HammerBill » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks Brock. I will keep that in mind as I continue.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: First Time Actively Seeking Help

Post by PaigeB » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:04 am

Congratulations Bill! You never have to drink again. Now you have another option!

I too felt that my first meeting was not grand in anyway. I did not think the Steps would work for me. But I personally came to a place where they talk about in Chapter 5 How It Works... the jumping off place. I happened at about 3 months, 90 days of meetings and now my liver enzymes where back to normal. Would I continue on with AA? Work the Steps? Or go back out drinking? As I drove away I heard an AA voice in my my head - something I had heard a lot at meetings... "You only have to be willing to be willing..." Hummm. I tried it right then and there. I can tell you precisely where I was - crossing a 5x5 lane intersection. I felt a Peace flow into me... a peice of Faith maybe... That I could do this. It was instantly replaced by a bit of panic that said if I wanted this thing to work I would need a sponsor who had been through the Steps... a sponsor who would take ME through the Steps. I Knew in that moment of Faith that working the Steps was the only Hope I had of surviving a life without alcohol.

That was just about 10 years ago. This atheist hasn't had a drink since Aug. 1, 2009. I didn't do it Alone. Thanks to ALL who read this. Thanks to a worldwide Fellowship of AA. Thanks to Bill & Bob and the guys who wrote the BB, the Steps and the 12 & 12. Thanks to all those who went before me. Thanks to a Sponsor. Thanks to my AA community. AND Thanks to a God of My Understanding.

I hope you can find what I have found.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65