Hi

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Anonymous112
Forums Newcomer

Hi

Post by Anonymous112 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 am

So I’m sure this is a common story but I’m on day 4 without a drink for the past 5 years I’ve used drinking every night as a way to fall asleep. (And at first that’s all it was) I would drink vodka till I was drunk Enough to sleep it started out with a glass over time 2 and then 3 .... 5 nights ago it was a Large water glass filled 3/4 of the way full with vodka than one more after that! I never really considered myself an alcoholic until that point. The fact that I was waking up every morning hungover or still drunk went kind of overlook by me. I consider myself to be a high functioning alcoholic because in five years drinking I only missed work ones.And I’m very successful. I think it’s my pride that won’t let me walk into an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. As stupid as that sounds. I’m only here because I needed to say this to someone, out loud, even if it’s online.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: Hi

Post by Brock » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Welcome here, and thanks for an interesting drinking story, to my knowledge it’s not a common story at all.

Most of us drank because we liked the feeling it gave us, relaxed and able to be more confident, no doubt it helped us sleep, but that’s not the reason we usually used it. And just about everyone who gives up drinking, reports having trouble sleeping for the first week or two.

It does not matter how we used alcohol, if we are alcoholics we are welcome to forums like this and to AA meetings. Also we don’t pronounce people alcoholic, it’s their own decision, but typically when an alcoholic tries to stop, he may be successful for a while just on willpower, but then there comes a stage in a few weeks or even months, when willpower can’t win and we drink again. The steps of AA provide the power to stop drinking when willpower fails, partly because they give us a new peaceful way to live and handle life’s problems.

Pride is a common reason folks aren’t keen on meetings at first, we meet people we might never normally mix with, but because everyone has a common problem, and has found a common solution, it works well. Waking up with a hangover sucks as you know, and drinking like this damages our health both mentally and physically. I have never heard of anyone regretting having tried an AA meeting, or better still a few, since they vary one to the next, and we feel more comfortable in certain meetings. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain, I hope you give it a try.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ODAAT » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:59 pm

Welcome,to this forum, A112. I am glad you got it off your chest. You seem to have admitted you are an alcoholic. From what you describe, I'd say you are right.

Do you want to do anything about it, like AA or some other recovery endeavor?

If you do wish to do something about it, we can help. We've tried most everything.

JoshiQ
Forums Newcomer

Post by JoshiQ » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm new to posting, but not new to being an alcoholic. Being able to admit you are one is a huge step. Just let me tell you, eventually it will catch up with you and you'll start needing to drink more and more glasses. You'll wake up more and more drunk. And one day you'll end up in a wreck with a DUI or miss the alarm clock because you will be so far out of it.

Being able to acknowledge it now is big. But take that first step. Go to a meeting. It isn't as bad as you think. You go in, there will probably be an introduction period for everyone in the meeting and just say your name and you're an alcoholic. Admit to it being your first meeting if you want or not. But just get to that first meeting.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:39 am

And I’m very successful. I think it’s my pride that won’t let me walk into an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. As stupid as that sounds. I’m only here because I needed to say this to someone, out loud, even if it’s online.

He had a desperate desire to stop, but saw no way out, for he had earnestly tried many avenues of escape. Painfully aware of being somehow abnormal, the man did not fully realize what it meant to be alcoholic.

They are talking about Dr. Bob here. Like Bob, many dont know "what it means to be an alcoholic". Many still believe its about drinking lot of alcohol and blacking out. Its true about the consequences, but its more than that. We have to talk about the mental and spiritual aspect of the disease that leads us back to the first drink. The problem of the alcoholic centers in the mind!
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

kim c
Forums Newcomer

Post by kim c » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:48 pm

I am relatively new to AA and I was terrified to go to
my first meeting - however, I will tell you that every
meeting that I have attended has been a blessing. The
members are so welcoming and I consider them friends. Please consider checking out a
meeting near you. I suspect that you may like it and find people that you already know there!
Good luck!

JeffS.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by JeffS. » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Welcome, It is great to hear you that you have done step one. Having admitted you are powerless over alcohol you can now work toward recovery. Like alot of other alcoholics I was also high functioning and never missed work. Us alcoholics have a way with hiding things very well. This is a great website but I hope you can go to a local meeting. Like everyone else my prayers and hope are here for you.

ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ODAAT » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Welcome to the forum, Kim C. You've got a good start.

Keep up the good work.