Finally ready to be done before its too late

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Tara8705
Forums Newcomer

Finally ready to be done before its too late

Post by Tara8705 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:28 am

Tomorrow is my birthday and i'll be 32. I have been an active alcoholic for 4.5 years now. I have always drank in the past but I didn't start having a problem with addiction of any kind until I broke my wrist in 2012 and became hooked on pain pills. I was able to stop them on my own but I lost my job because it changed my personality completely.. I was having marital problems and it was able to make me get through the day. After I had my daughter 4.5 years ago i couldn't handle the stress. I got annoyed very easily and just didn't have any patience. Not to mention not thrilled in my marriage still either. My drinking has affected my life . I was always a vodka drinker then i would go to wine and then to beer to think that I wouldn't get drunk because not alot of alcohol in budlight. I have always been a depressed person and always been on meds for depression.. I'm married into the military btw. the past couple of months my drinking has gotten worse because my husband is about to go to korea for a year in april and i will be the sole parent for our daughter and we will be living in the freaking middle of nowhere where nothing is within driving distance except 30 miles away. we will be staying with his parents to save money. i know everyone is mentioning find an AA meeting well we will be moving off of base in a couple weeks so my thing is why go to one now if i'll just have to find another one when we move... its not even just alcohol i tell people if i had a couple pain pills i could just take them . i prefer pills to drinking .. i just am unhappy with my life . im always depressed. and i feel my daughter deserves a better mom.. she is 4.5 . no i haven't had anything to drink in a day.. i just dont want to have to pick up another drink.. it sucks because everyone in my family drinks and alcohol is everywhere .. please help.

ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Finally ready to be done before its too late

Post by ODAAT » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, Tara.

Have you ever been to an AA Meeting?

Tara8705
Forums Newcomer

Post by Tara8705 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:02 pm

No I haven't.

ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ODAAT » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:09 pm

OK.
Going to a meeting to get you started is the conventional advice. And it is usually helpful.

What do you want to know about a meeting?

Going to one soon is probably a good idea. I went to my first meeting on my 2nd day sober.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Welcome here Tara.

Whether pills or drink the solution is pretty much the same, and found in the 12 steps. The founder of AA Bill Wilson, not only suffered badly from depression, but he also speaks of dependence on tranquilizers, so the fellow basically responsible for designing the program, may have had people like himself and yourself in mind, even more than the general run of the mill alcoholic. The handling of stress and needing something to ‘take the edge off,’ seems to be a part of all addictions. It’s kind of hard to believe at first, but the program of the 12 steps does make life less stressful, and gives us tools to help us handle any stress that there is.

I don’t blame you for waiting until you move to start meetings, because it takes a little time to fit in and get to know the people. But you might think of checking how close meetings are to this ‘middle of nowhere’ you are heading, maybe they are one or two in the vicinity, if not you may be one of those who will depend more than most on online AA. I will put up some stuff you might read when you have the time, part of which is a meeting finder, with this you can check for meetings where you are heading.

AA does change lives, and the steps are easier than they tend to look on paper, you will find all recovered alcoholics helpful, and they don’t put pressure on anyone, we come or go as we please. Any further comments or questions you are welcomed to put up here, it’s newcomers like yourself that keep our forums most active.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Good stuff!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:00 pm

Poor you!

AA is full of people who got beyond their sucky lives.
...a score card reading zero...

Vlopez1227
Forums Newcomer

Post by Vlopez1227 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:37 pm

I can relate I have been drinking for overs 20 years and try to control it but it’s gotten worse

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Vlopez1227 wrote:I can relate I have been drinking for overs 20 years and try to control it but it’s gotten worse
Welcome again, Vlopez

Glad you tracked us down over here.

If you haven't been to a meeting yet, you may wish to check out AA near you

A.A. Meeting Finder

A.A. Near You

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:28 am

Meetings truly is the place to start. Let your FEET do the walking... your brain will scare you out of it! Once you have crossed the threshold, you never have to worry about your first meeting again! Get there and tell the person next to you that this is your first meeting. I assure you that you will be on your way... Life will be different.

Alcoholics all over are dying - those in AA are just dying to help! :lol:
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 am

try to control it but it’s gotten worse
Worst part is, we cannot stay stopped on our own.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:43 am

avaneesh912 wrote:
try to control it but it’s gotten worse
Worst part is, we cannot stay stopped on our own.
Best part may well be realising this.
:)