How to start working the steps online

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

How to start working the steps online

Postby Nicole108 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:01 am

Heya,

Im Nicole and an alcoholic... today I finally decided (with the help of some friends) to work the 12 step program....

So where do I begin?

Cheers~
Nicole108
Forums Newcomer

Re: How to start working the steps online

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:45 am

Hello Nicole, Welcome to e-AA. I am glad you have decided to pursue recovery thru the 12 steps of AA. The basic text of AA, is the book called Alcoholic Anonymous.

You can start reading the book online at:

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

The preface through the forwards give you the history of AA.

From the Doctors opinion through More about alcoholism gives you a thorough understanding of step 1. How Un manageability leads us to Powerlessness.

We Agnostics is about step 2.

How it works deals with steps 3 and step 4.

Into Action deals with 5 6 7 8 9 10 and 11.

And finally Working with others is about steps 12.

You are also tap into some great workshops on Youtube. You will need a tight lipped person to do your 5th step. That person we in AA call it the sponsor. Its preferable to pick one within AA today, because they know what the process is about. Atleast the one thats been in the program for while.

Good Luck with your recovery.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:09 am

Have you attended AA meetings? One common symptom of alcoholism is isolation. Sure, you can work the Steps in isolation, but that hardly lends itself to being able to function normally without needing a drink.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Mike O » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:45 am

Hi Nicole,

Meetings are a huge part of most peoples sobriety. To some they are a very necessary part of their sobriety.
My own experience is that the programme works without them - I emphasise the fact that this is MY OWN experience only.
Avaneesh's post above is a good overview.
You will need somebody to help with Step 5. This is absolutely vital. I receive advice also on Step 4, and in other areas, throughout my sobriety, when I feel it necessary.
I think the main issue here is absolute self-honesty. No half-measures. If you need advice, have somebody you can turn to, over the phone or via email, skype, etc.
There are many ways in which you can offer service online, in keeping with Step 12.
I certainly don't consider myself to be isolated, at all.

However, having said all this, why not go along to a meeting? See how you feel about it? I can only see it being of benefit to your programme.

Well done, Nicole, and...stick around. This is a great group.

:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer