Any young drinkers (18-25) with ARLD/permanent liver damage?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Any young drinkers (18-25) with ARLD/permanent liver damage?

Postby Spice931 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 am

Hi There,

This is my first post here, I thought I should share my experience quickly before asking around for similar experiences.

I am a 22yo male, who like most people my age, enjoys a drink or two. I would say I picked it up as a regular thing when I was 19, though It became more of a habit when I hit 20/21. Recently I had a party and binged a few beers and spirits. I woke up the next day without a headache, only a delicate stomach. Pretty usual for me, as I am not so great when I comes the keeping it down the next day, depending on what I drink and eat. However I noticed that I had some uncomfortable pain in the upper right abdomen/lower right side rib cage. A bit odd, while not painful, it was very noticeable. I have had this sensation, maybe once or twice before over the last 2 years, however never this intense. I took some ibuprofen and kept away from the bottle. The next day, I thought a beer wouldn't hurt before bed. Only it did, about 20 minutes later I felt the pain return with more intensity than before. It was still present the next day and I stopped taking the ibuprofen just incase. I have since put the drink to the side and booked an appointment to get myself checked out.

I probably haven't gone more than 4 days without a drink for the last 3/4 years. Not always a binge session, however I probably have binged at least every weekend for the last 2 years. Which leads to my question. Is there anyone here who is a similar age, who has been diagnosed with ARLD at this age? If so please share your story and if happy to, the severity of your situation.

I am happy to drastically cut down, however If I am going to cut alcohol out of my life completely, I will need to make some drastic life choices to help my recovery. Hearing other people's experiences might help in understanding what life style choices I will need to adapt, as well as how common it is for someone my age to find themselves in such a serious situation.

I look forward to hearing from you all.
Spice931
Forums Newcomer

Re: Any young drinkers (18-25) with ARLD/permanent liver dam

Postby PaigeB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:09 am

My brother was diagnosed with liver disease at the age of about 25. The doc told him he had the body of a 50 year old! He got sober for 15 years, had an alcohol relapse of about 6 months due to pain pills after an accident, now has another 10 years without a drink. THE LIVER CAN HEAL ITSELF if you stop drinking. My brother is proof. He is raising another family - 4 kids, 13 and under - even though he is a grandpa too! Maybe NOW he has the body of a 60 year old, but I don't have regular contact with him. I just know that he has lived ALL these years and not a mention of his liver since about the first 5 years.

My brother in law died a liver death at a young age, in his early 50's, because he never did stop doing drugs and alcohol. It was long and ugly for him and for the family. I hope this is not the road you choose.

There is hope and there is experience in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous ~ no matter where you are in the world.
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer