Detox and meeting question

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Detox and meeting question

Postby Bebita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 am

Hi there!

I have 2 questions one is on detoxing and the dangers involved for someone like myself whom has been drinking everyday for 5 years????

2nd question is where can I attend women’s only meetings for now in the Durham region/ Toronto area???
Bebita
Forums Newcomer

Re: Detox and meeting question

Postby Brock » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:16 am

Welcome to e-AA Bebita.

Here is a link to Durham meetings -
http://www.aadurham.org/pdf/AA-Meetings-Durham.pdf
I see two ladies meetings there, and also you will see a phone number, from this you can get any additional information.

The subject of detoxing at home is one we see fairly regularly here, the main advise usually is that’s it’s wise if at all possible to speak to a doctor. Certain tranquilizers like Valium, are usually prescribed to help make it easier and safer to do. Also we find sweet things like drinking soda and eating candy helps, since our body is used to the sugars in alcohol.

Please feel free to ask any other questions if you are in doubt about anything, we enjoy helping newcomers here, the folks in the group you attend will be the same. It’s a little tough at first, but the AA program can offer a way of life better than anything we had before.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Bebita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:40 am

Thank you.

The websites are not updated. And from calling the numbers I can only find 2 meetings a week for women only. Which are not very convenient.

As far as the detox. I am informed that I am at high risk and will be in a medical assistant detox. But with the risks involved at being high risk. I was looking for some support as in success stories of people at high risk as myself that made it threw and what they went threw to help ease my mind.

Not sure I’d it matters but I also suffer from ptsd, anxiety and depression as well as have a fear of pills.
Bebita
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:42 am

Detox is a medical question and one should really get the advice of one's own doctor.

Here is my experience - not my advice:

I went to my doctor and told her "about how much" I drank - of course she freaked out... Which freaked me out since I had not told the full truth. She did what doctors do - order tests and prescribe pills. She gave me some benzo's just to have in case of DT's or panic attacks. I never did have DT's. I DID have to take them on 2 occasions - once when I had a panic attack on Christmas eve and once when I had a bad reaction to some antidepressants we were trying (for chronic pain). Mostly they went to dust in my purse. At that first appointment about alcoholism she took a blood test for my liver - which came back days later with high enzymes but a subsequent test 90 days later came back good (that was amazing for someone who drank everyday and for the last year, all day everyday!)

A week after that first appointment I had a follow up and I took her a packet of information on Alcoholics Anonymous - most doctors have no clue about this Solution we have found. That high liver test result scared me. I went to AA immediately - not a women's meeting to start out, but I did soon make a women's meeting my home group. I went to give my liver a break - I never thought an atheist would be accepted but they accepted me. They told me to keep coming back and I did. When I got my subsequent test results and had a good liver - I had to decide if I was willing to stay with AA. My 90 days had not been too uncomfortable at all even though it is the longest stint of time without a drink in as long as I could remember. The people that I was meeting in the AA meetings were really great people and they had overcome the things that were plaguing me! I decided to be willing to be willing to give AA and the 12 Step Solution a try. I got a woman sponsor and a home group and read the Big Book with my sponsor.

In the years that followed I have been able to educate my doctor a bit and we have talked about how alcoholism looks a lot like bi-polar. We talked about proper medical treatments would ideally start from the least invasive, like holistic things (like AA) all the way up to the most invasive & toxic remedies for bi-polar - Lithium and a raft of other medicines. She knows that I am scared of pills and has always sought to help me when I was open and honest.

That 1st appointment has been 9 years and a couple of weeks ago! I haven't had a drink since. My doc & I don't talk much about it anymore - the alcoholism. She did just give me some Welbutrin to help me stop smoking cigarettes. I got scared and did not start the smoking cessation, so I called and left a note for her that I plan to try again in the near future.

Medical treatment is often called for in sober people the same as it is normal folk. We just have to be a little more conversational about things with our medical providers.

AA worked for me - even though I did not start with women's meetings. :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Bebita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 am

Thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations on your ongoing success.

I too have been working with my doctor, and my doctor along with many many others knows exactly how much I drink and the fact that it has now been going on everyday for the last 5 years straight.

I have attendees women’s only groups on the past. Clearly in the past was not ready to accept that I was in fact an alcoholic. As I am now.

I have appointments and been to appointments reguarsing my detoxification and they all agree that I am in a high risk situation and now is a matter of I am assuming all the paperwork and bed to be available to me.

I am new to the terms here, so not going to lie I do not know what dt is referring to yet.

And yes I have a major fear of pills. As well as the fear of having a seizure is not sounding to appealing to me.

I am clearly ready to get clean and have been taking all the appropriate steps to get there. Working with my family as well as all the medical professionals.

But hearing others who have been drinking everyday for years as I have does ease my mind going into this. I understand everyone is different and everyone’s experience is going to be different.

Nevertheless it does make me feel better hearing from others.

Thank you ;)
Bebita
Forums Newcomer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Men have good information and help for sobriety too. Don't think you sobriety will be complete by going to women only meetings.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Bebita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Oh I agree. I am not trying to limit myself. Just want to get my comfort level up first.
Bebita
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am

I do not know what dt is referring to yet.

emedicine says
Delirium tremens (DTs) is the most severe form of ethanol withdrawal manifested by is a (rapid onset of) altered mental status (global confusion) and sympathetic overdrive (autonomic hyperactivity), which can progress to cardiovascular collapse. DTs is a medical emergency with a high mortality rate, making early recognition and treatment essential.

Alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs to withdraw from, so take your doctor's experience and not mine. I was just being a hard headed azz when I insisted on not going through any formal withdrawal program.

A website called Keep Inspiring Me how-long-does-it-take-to-detox-from-alcohol has a good list of what intermediate symptoms look like saying that they offer a last chance to seek treatment before symptoms get worse. I just googled these sites and found them - I am not endorsing them and AA certainly does not endorse them.

I hope you can find what I have found. It's a Peace and Serenity I never knew was possible.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:36 pm

It's a Peace and Serenity I never knew was possible.

This is what I like to see written on AA sites and spoken at meetings. When I came in to AA I thought that’s it for me, this place will teach me how not to drink, and I will have a not so good life after, but at least I will be alive. And the prospect had me even weighing up if the no good life was worth stopping for.

I came to understand and experience that it offers a whole lot more than just not drinking, if we want it. The program opened up a new life, it really is a lot more than not drinking, a whole lot more.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Anything you hear here about detox is going to be subjective anecdote. Why exacerbate your anxiety? If you're working with a doctor, that's the most important thing as they can help you through some symptoms with medications. So even if you are going through certain symptoms, you might not be fully aware of it.

A healthy fear of pills is not necessarily a bad thing. IMO people can too-often place blind trust in pharmaceuticals despite their profit motive. However, in general, short-term for a specific duration to deal with a specific symptom such as detox, I would suggest not to worry too much. Just so long as you can get through the detox and apply other means to stay sober (eg AA) so you don't need to detox again.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby JerseyMike » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Bebita wrote:Hi there!

I have 2 questions one is on detoxing and the dangers involved for someone like myself whom has been drinking everyday for 5 years????

Hi Bebita,

I live in NJ, but I can tell you that I I drank so much everyday that I experienced seizures when I first got sober. They're not fun and are a significant danger for those who suddenly stop drinking without medical assistance. I would go talk to your doctor. Good luck!
JerseyMike
Forums Newcomer

Return to For the Newcomer