1st time here!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
edr02
Forums Newcomer

1st time here!

Post by edr02 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi
As topic suggests this is my first time here and feel maybe like rabbit in headlights!
I've been having drink problems for years since I was a teenager. I never really drank every day but whenever I drank I just had to get completely wasted. This happens whenever I go out and drink socially. It's like a physical power that I just carry on drinking until I fall over. Hangovers are very bad and takes a couple of days to recover. On top of this I was diagnosed with asthma last year and alcohol is a trigger for my asthma. I'm, 46 now and need to stop!
I'm lucky in that I've a good life and no major health issues apart from the alcohol. I'm a bit clueless about AA though. I've found an AA group near us and intend on going. I've also signed up to the email group.
It's all a bit new but hopefully will get to grips with it all. Can anyone recommend any topics on this forum which are useful, also anything on the 12steps programme.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: 1st time here!

Post by Brock » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 am

Welcome here to e-AA.

Of what you wrote these words especially reminded me of classic alcoholic behavior - “It's like a physical power that I just carry on drinking until I fall over.” Our literature says a good bit about this, once we take the first one we can’t stop the way ‘normal’ people do.

Very good that you intend to go to the meeting, if there is more than one in your area try them all, meetings vary and you may feel more comfortable in a particular group. I can’t say what on these forums might most interest you, there is a lot to choose from, but I will put links to some AA literature which you might look at. Also please feel free to make any comment or ask any questions here, we enjoy answering and helping where we can.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:12 am

Hangovers are very bad and takes a couple of days to recover.
Welcome to the forums. I read your story and can relate. The hangover part, But, we do this all over again once the pain subsides. This is the peculiar mental twist the book alcoholics anonymous talks about. At the moment we take a drink, we go blank or come up with several reasons why we need a drink. Thats insanity.

The first step in recovery is realizing that we are in this group of people who can't stay away from alcohol not just losing control after we take a drink. That is also one of the symptoms. But the main thing is, our mind will keep tricking us over and over again. Brock posted few links, look at them, ask questions we are here to share our experience.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

MikeL
Forums Newcomer

Post by MikeL » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:53 am

Welcome to AA. Post back and let us know how your first meeting was. My suggestion is to find a sponsor (someone who will take you through the steps and the first 164 pages of the AA Big Book). Talk to people before the meetings and after the meetings. Get phone numbers and call someone if you need to drink.

edr02
Forums Newcomer

Post by edr02 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi
Thanks for the encouraging welcome messages.

I'm currently looking through the links Brock has put up for me, interesting and a lot to get my head around!

Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Wiganman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Hello and welcome to AA. This really can be a new start for you.

You said you have found a local group. If you haven't attended a meeting it is strongly recommended that you do. We cannot recover from alcoholism on our own we need the fellowship and face to face meetings.

By attending meetings you will be able to relate to other alcoholics and see there is strength in numbers. You will learn about your condition and that there is a solution on offer for you.

Again, well done for making a start and let people on here know how you are getting on,

Jzutz
Forums Newcomer

Post by Jzutz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 pm

We are exactly the same. I’m just starting my new life as well . Good luck.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:49 am

Oooh, early sobriety; exciting and sometimes terrifying. :lol:

Welcome!
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)