what is AA for?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

what is AA for?

Postby Blue » Sun May 13, 2018 2:56 am

I've been trying to stop drinking, like really trying, for 6 months now. I've been to some AA meetings and some read some SMART recovery material, as well as some books like this Naked Mind. Compared to before December, I think my average volume has reduced but it's mostly become more uneven because I've had some days, up to 2 weeks once and 1 week once with none, but when I start again it seems even harder to control. Rambling sorry.

So my question is, that it seems like AA is best suited for helping people who have stopped drinking, from starting again. Is that right?
Blue
Forums Newcomer

Re: what is AA for?

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 am

Good conclusion. Yes, it is about realization that we are powerless over alcohol and that our life has become un-manageable. If we continue to live this way, we will go back to that first drink. The mind will always come up with a reason to drink or somethings, we just pick up.

When you say, you went to few AA meetings, did those meetings every talk about the book called the Alcoholics Anonymous, they would have referred to it as big book? Thats the basic text for the fellowship. There are lot of workshops on youtube also on the book. You may listen to it while attending the meeting. Its important to realize the how deeply affected we are. Realizing that will help you go further. Namely working the 12 steps. Also, you may find a person who has worked the 12 steps and willing to walk you through the process. They are called sponsors these days.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Chelle » Sun May 13, 2018 4:56 am

Blue wrote:So my question is, that it seems like AA is best suited for helping people who have stopped drinking, from starting again. Is that right?

Hi Blue,
That is not necessarily correct. AA is for anyone who has the desire to stop drinking. I was just like you. I stopped and started again so many times. The last time, I was quit for almost 2 weeks and knew that I had to do someting different, and finally decided to try AA. I was willing to do anything to finally quit drinking for good. I did drink again after some time in the program, but went back to AA immediatly and kept going back.I have stayed quit, so I believe it can work both ways if you really want it and are willing to go to any length.

You say you have gone to AA. That alone would not have kept me sober. I had to get a sponsor and start working the steps. Have you done that? It works if you work it.. You can drink while going to AA, but it works alot better if you stop.

My drinking was harder control every time I quit and picked it up. It is a progressive illness.
Glad you are here
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby tomsteve » Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 am

Blue wrote:
So my question is, that it seems like AA is best suited for helping people who have stopped drinking, from starting again. Is that right?

AA is best suited for anyone that has a desire to stop drinking. i walked into AA to learn how to stay stopped,get rid of the baggage in my melon, and clear away the wreckage i had left in my wake.
that invloved a LOT more than going to meetings.
now when i got to meetings its to carry the message to the next alcoholic that walks in the doors.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sun May 13, 2018 11:37 am

I've been trying to stop drinking, like really trying, for 6 months now.

OK that’s the type of person AA was designed for, someone wanting to stop.
I've had some days, up to 2 weeks once and 1 week once with none, but when I start again...

Right perfect person for AA, knows he can’t stop by his own will power, look at step two and say I believe I need a power greater than me to stop. Look at step three and say I will give this power greater than me a chance, write out the items in step four and discuss them with someone, and the book says after that is done -
The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe.

Urges gone, walking hand in hand with the spirit of the universe, happy like pappy. Yes that is simplifying the process a bit, but really it’s not hard, put aside books about smart recovery and naked mind, use only AA books for now, higher spiritual learning with other books can come later.

It’s best you come in sober and try your best to stay sober, until you reach a stage in the steps where the struggle to stay sober will end, the urges will leave you. But I know two well respected members who both continued drinking even while attending, one now has 17 years and the other 11 of very good sobriety. Don’t let a slip stop you from attending, and most importantly doing the steps, where you will find real relief and serenity. This thing will work Blue, it just needs an effort on your part, and you will find a life better than you ever expected.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 pm

I went to a noon meeting for my first meeting. I planned it that way because I knew I could not make it to 5pm or 8pm and not drink. I also woke up drunk, so I needed to sleep in, get up, shower and leave the house in order to not drink that day. I tied a couple times to make it to a noon meeting before I was able to get out of the car and walk in.

I did not find it necessary to take a drink after that. I have not found it necessary to take a drink since Aug. 1, 2009.

This thing works, but you have to work it. You DO NOT have to be sober to go to a meeting... it just works better that way. The important thing is to make contact. Call the hotline of the AA near you. That is what I did. And I had a gal meet me at that noon meeting.
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 am

Hello Blue and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Sound like you have the desire to stop. We only require the desire to stop not the ability.
The ability comes from some kind of higher power. For many in the beginning it’s the fellowship of AA. That was how I got my foundation.
You will hear a lot about read this or read that but it’s the action I took that made the difference in my sobriety. The saying goes “we don’t think our way into right acting, we act our way into right thinking.”
If I just read the book I would still be drinking what made the difference with me was getting someone to help me do what that book said to do.
It may sound too simply but we believe in keeping it simply
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 am

Blue wrote:I've been trying to stop drinking, like really trying, for 6 months now. I've been to some AA meetings and some read some SMART recovery material, as well as some books like this Naked Mind. Compared to before December, I think my average volume has reduced but it's mostly become more uneven because I've had some days, up to 2 weeks once and 1 week once with none, but when I start again it seems even harder to control. Rambling sorry.

HI BLUE.

I avoided AA meetings mistakenly thinking I had to stop drinking first.

I was wrong. My mistake was very costly to my family and me.
1Peter5:10
Forums Enthusiast

Postby BrendaChenowyth » Wed May 16, 2018 6:37 am

It's for people who want to stop drinking, period.

It has helped me tremendously to stop isolating (especially right now) and go to meetings every day. I walked in to a meeting yesterday morning I had never been to and was DELIGHTED to recognize almost every face in the room, with maybe 4 exceptions out of 20. I shared that with everyone, to many smiles back. It is nice to feel a part of a community and not feel like you're misunderstood at all.
BrendaChenowyth
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Sun May 20, 2018 5:53 am

Blue wrote:So my question is, that it seems like AA is best suited for helping people who have stopped drinking, from starting again. Is that right?

A.A. also helped me stop drinking.

Then it helped me stay stopped.

Now it's more about personal development, aka 'spiritual growth', friendship, fellowship, humour and motivation.

All of which help me stay stopped, but it's not like I feel like I'm doing stuff with the motivation 'never to drink again' because that monkey is off my back (thank you A.A.). These days I'm more concerned with being happy, rather than trying to run away from drinking.

I'm not sure if I've explained that very well; my motivation for A.A. these days isn't based in fear (i.e. if I stop going to meetings and doing the A.A. program, I'll drink and die), it's more about continuing along our spiritual path.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Frihed89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 am

The primary purpose of AA is "to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety". Nothing more. Keep it simple.
Frihed89
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tomsteve » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 am

the big book is for:
To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the main purpose of this book.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:26 am

Another way to put it, its for people who after several attempts on their own realize that they couldn't do it on their own and they still have a honest desire to stay stopped. When those people in such state of mind come in, it works the best. Thats why its very difficult to quantify the success of the fellowship. And it doesn't guarantee that sobriety, the individual has to do lot of work so they can tap into the inner resource by working the reminder of the 12 steps and participate in the whole segments of the program. Not drinking and going to meetings is not recovery.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer