6 months Sober or not?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

6 months Sober or not?

Postby Shogun » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Tomorrow on April 23rd I will have 6 months sobriety. I have been smoking pot. Do I get to collect a chip or should I start over. Admittedly feeling some guilt. But all I started out to do was get off of the booze. And I have.
Shogun
Forums Newcomer

Re: 6 months Sober or not?

Postby Brock » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 am

Welcome here Shogun, and congratulations on six months sobriety.

I don’t think anyone but yourself should judge if you ‘deserve’ the chip, but by saying these words - “Admittedly feeling some guilt.” That sort of indicates you don’t feel you have full sobriety.

For myself, I have come to believe that any mind altering substance, keeps me from getting close to the God of my understanding, it messes with the spirituality which makes me happy, and which I believe is responsible for removing the desire to drink.

The subject of marijuana has been a popular one here in the past, this link is to the most recent discussion - viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24486&hilit=marijuana

To find things like this we can in the top right corner search for words, in this case marijuana.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:22 am

If pot gives you a problem with picking up a coin, ISTM the pot is interfering with your sobriety at some level, otherwise you should feel able to celebrate sobriety.

IMO what's more important than an inanimate coin is what you're doing for recovery from alcoholism other than avoiding alcohol.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:47 pm

IMO, no. High is not sober; and you already know that or you wouldn't be here asking the question.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Shogun wrote:Tomorrow on April 23rd I will have 6 months sobriety. I have been smoking pot. Do I get to collect a chip or should I start over. Admittedly feeling some guilt. But all I started out to do was get off of the booze. And I have.

I often tell about my friend who carries secrets... she carried the pot secret for 5+ years before she picked up a new chip and a new sobriety date. She always tells about BOTH dates. But there is more, as it seems a secret likes to be... not fully told.

SO she had an anniversary coming up and guess what? She was NOT celebrating 20 years, or even 15 years on that date, it is merely a part of her story... But her mom thought otherwise and had planned to do a big surprise visit to celebrate! Luckily Mom told Sister who knew the Truth and told my friend that it was really finally time to come clean and tell Mom the Truth. It was torturing my friend... but she finally made the call. Mom was not in the least bit upset over the fact the celebration would be 15 years in June - Mom was certainly not upset to the extent that my friend was! THEN ~ as the gods would have it - we had a major snowstorm on The Day and Mom would not have been able to come anyway! The gods are funny like that!

So. Maybe you can ask yourself "Do I want to carry this for 6 more months? 26 Months? Maybe I'll carry it for 6 more years, or 26 years... It is up to me and it is me alone to choose. What do I Know and where do I want to start?"

Draw your map and pick a path.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Whenever I am struggling with answering a question, I take a moment to quieten the hamster wheel in my cranium. Then I reflect upon what I think about the question and what the answer is. Then I wait a few minutes, and ask myself what I really think

By the time I find myself asking other people about the answer to the question, I already know my real answer; I just don't like it so I am looking for an escape clause or fall guy.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 am

Hello Shogun, My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Let me be clear about something, my sobriety is exactly that….mine. I can give a ton of reasons what you should or shouldn’t do things but it’s really not my job. My job is to tell you what I did or would do. As far as pot goes the reason I don’t smoke it is because it might make me thirsty. I never wanted to be just a drunk but that is what I am. Honest isn’t cool but it is real. Are you still sober? That is a question you need to answer.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:09 am

Shogun wrote:Tomorrow on April 23rd I will have 6 months sobriety. I have been smoking pot. Do I get to collect a chip or should I start over. Admittedly feeling some guilt. But all I started out to do was get off of the booze. And I have.

On the back of the chips is a 'To thine own self be true' slogan.

Being honest (true) with yourself, how would you feel about picking up a chip knowing you've been smoking pot?

I reckon you've answered your own question in your post.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby JungianRecovery » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 am

As a slightly dissenting voice here, let me say it's first and foremost important to understand why you're smoking pot. The mark of being active isn't using so much as it is masking our emotional issues, failing to deal with them in a healthy way, through ingesting substance. Active using isn't a problem because of the using, but because we are disconnection from reality or whatever we choose our higher power to be.

So using pot in itself may not be a problem, but at the very least please talk with someone about the pot, even if it's not someone from the Meetings.
JungianRecovery
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 am

JungianRecovery wrote:As a slightly dissenting voice here, let me say it's first and foremost important to understand why you're smoking pot.

I would agree with this. However, in my experience, it was simply not possible to answer such a question about such a substance until I had spent some months free of such a substance.

I had no idea how unwell I had become until I had quit drinking for 2 or 3 months. To me, that is the scariest part about alcoholism: we get well enough to realise how sick we had become. This phenomenon is not limited to.alcohol.

So the individual may need to quit smoking pot for a few months before being able to honestly and objectively come to such an understanding.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Greywolf » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:IMO, no. High is not sober; and you already know that or you wouldn't be here asking the question.

In a similar vein...

Back a few score ago =biggrin another AAer and I came up with a guideline to use when the question starts with "Is it alright if _____ ? (fill in the blank)

If you have to ask the question, the answer is "No."

If that doesn't work, you can always ask around until you get the answer you want. :roll:
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer