Should I mention my job?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Should I mention my job?

Postby minime » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:39 am

I am a sex worker. I know that people will come from all walks of life & the people will be open-minded but again they are people of all walks of life and some might be closed minded. I feel it is relevant because it is a big issue in my life. It's embarrassing but I do it to survive due to mental health reasons I don't feel fit to go to regular work. Sex work is stressful & boring at the same time which leads me to drinking to cope.

I worry I will bump into clients at AA meetings.

Should I mention it or leave that to myself
minime
Forums Newcomer

Re: Should I mention my job?

Postby Brock » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:44 am

In my experience people don’t ask what job we do, sometimes after we get to know the group well some might, but certainly it’s not something you need to announce or tell.

There are people from all walks of life at meetings, but they go there for the same reason, if a client sees you they won’t say anything except maybe hello. It’s fairly normal to overthink this due to fear, but really there’s nothing to be afraid about.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:30 am

That is the spiritual malady. The twelve steps allows us to enjoy what we are doing, Also if we dont like what we are doing, the program says we could recreate our lives.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:15 pm

I would not mention your job as many people wouldn't understand it. Their reactions would not feel nice. Wait until you know a person well.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Most people in AA have no clue what my job is. We get some who mention their job as it relates to drinking or a drinking "culture" around it, eg cooks, bar staff, musicians, etc. But most don't talk of work, except in a general sense. Many drink because of boredom etc. regardless of work (or having to stay home and care for kids with no other adult company, etc.)

You are right, you will likely meet some closed-minded people. I suggest to keep it vague, eg you don't have a regular 9-5 job just now. If you meet a client, they're in the room for the same reason you are, and should respect your anonymity... in the unlikely event of this happening, they may be more worried about you "outing" them.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Roberth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Hello Minime and welcome to E-AA My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. I don’t think running into a client is going to be as big a problem as you think…..we have a wide array of professions in AA. My guess a client would like to keep quiet about using your services as well.
I wouldn’t mention it a meeting, and this only my experience, because of jealousy and disrespect toward the industry. I would certainly tell my sponsor though.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Return to For the Newcomer