New

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

New

Postby Shoreline » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:37 pm

I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm new here but not new to AA. I've been in and out of AA for 7 years. My last drink was 1/9/18. I need to stay sober this time to stay employed and stop hurting my family! I look forward to getting to use these forums.
Shoreline
Forums Enthusiast

Re: New

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Hello Shoreline, welcome to the forums. The main problem of the alcoholic is the mind. We all know that we lose control after we take that first drink but what we have to realize is, without working the rest of the steps, our mind will keep tricking us taking that drink over and over again.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:24 am

Welcome here Shoreline.

Being in and out of AA is something I know well, I did that for many years, each time I came back I found another excuse why it wouldn’t work for me, another reason the people there were ‘different’ from me, and each time I sank lower and lower. Finally with nowhere else to turn, flat on my backside, I stopped making excuses, and decided that those steps on the scroll hung on the wall might be the answer in truth.

Within a short time I found myself completing step #5, and it was not half as hard as I thought it would be, what they said in the book often happens after #5 happened to me -
Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we are delighted. We can look the world in the eye. We can be alone at perfect peace and ease. Our fears fall from us. We begin to feel the nearness of our Creator. We may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now we begin to have a spiritual experience. The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe.

Walking hand in hand with the spirit of the universe, I started smiling then and am still smiling years later.

Another person like us who was in and out for some years helped me as well, on you tube I typed in “AA Chris R,” he is a no nonsense AA speaker who told me how this thing works, perhaps you will listen to him.

Please if you like ask any questions or just let us know how you are getting along, we are pleased to have you here.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Shoreline » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 am

Thank you!!
Shoreline
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Shoreline wrote:I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm new here but not new to AA. I've been in and out of AA for 7 years. My last drink was 1/9/18. I need to stay sober this time to stay employed and stop hurting my family! I look forward to getting to use these forums.

I used this Forum as an addition to my day to day AA meetings. It helped a lot that the Forum is 24/7 and I was a late night person... I didn't have to worry about waking people up to get a little AA in the middle of the night!

Keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jojo2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Welcome, Shoreline.

Glad you are here !
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer