Hi everyone

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Hi everyone

Postby OldSeed » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 am

I've been going to meetings on and off since the holidays. I've been struggling with staying sober. I drank last night and now I'm back to day one and I wanna re-commit.
OldSeed
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hi everyone

Postby Roberth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 am

Hello Oldseed and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Its pretty clear the off and on thing wasn’t working and I don’t know too many that it has worked for. If you are serious about staying sober I would get back to your meeting and ask for help. you 'll be surprise how many members would be happy to show you the path they took to sobriety.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am

Hello OldSeed and welcome here.

You are not alone in struggling at first, I did and it taught me a couple of important lessons, the first was that since I was trying to stay sober on my willpower and failing, I needed something more powerful if I were to succeed. The other thing was that just going to meetings would not work either, as you say re-commit, say to yourself I have tried to stop, gone to meetings, but still I am powerless over reaching for a drink, I need a power greater than myself, that’s steps 1 & 2. Step 3 is not much more than deciding to do the remainder of the steps, to turn over your will to the power. Then on to 4 & 5, at the end of five the book says this - “The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe.”

This is powerful stuff, but you need to do it, and it’s not as hard as it first looks. Perhaps you can ask at your meeting for someone to take you through the steps, even say you couldn’t manage to stay sober more than the month and a half since the holidays, so you need someone who will take you through at least to step 5 in quick time, even if with the others you go slower. And there’s nothing to be embarrassed about, this happens all the time, the book says over and over, ‘we are without defense against the first drink.’

Please ask any other questions here, or just let us know how you are getting along, we enjoy helping each other.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby OldSeed » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks for the replies. Going to a nooner now.
OldSeed
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Understanding the powerlessness concept is really useful. Most shares are about losing control after we take that 1st drink. That means we have a choice. Unfortunately, we need to factor in the mind too. The mind tricks us back into taking that first drink. The un-manageability plays a big part in it. When we feel miserable, the mind goes for a solution. What is it? For alcoholics its booze. All its focused on is that feeling we get by putting in 1 or 2 drinks. That is why how we handle our day to day life is very critical. Thats where the reminder of the 12 steps helps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer