What's the spiritual principle of step 3?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

What's the spiritual principle of step 3?

Postby ThelonleyMango » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 am

Is it willingness? Because I must DECIDE to turn my will and life,
And that can only be so if I'm willing to do so. Is that the spiritual principle of step 3?
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Re: What's the spiritual principle of step 3?

Postby clouds » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:14 am

The spiritual principle of step 3 is complete dependence on God ( as we understand that) rather than upon ourselves or any other human 'power'.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Forums Long Timer

Postby Roberth » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 pm

here's all 12

1. Honesty: fairness and straightforwardness of conduct; adherence to the facts

2. Hope: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment; expectation of fulfillment or success; someone or something on which hopes are centered

3. Faith: allegiance to duty or a person; loyalty; fidelity to one's promises; sincerity of intentions; firm belief in something for which there is no proof; complete trust;
something that is believed especially with strong conviction. Re. religion: belief and trust in and loyalty to God; belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion

4. Courage: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty

5. Integrity: firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values; incorruptibility; an unimpaired condition; soundness; the quality or state of being complete or undivided

6. Willingness: inclined or favorably disposed in mind; ready; prompt to act or respond; done, borne, or accepted by choice or without reluctance; of or relating to the will or power of choosing

7. Humility: the quality or state of being humble.

Humble: not proud or haughty; not arrogant or assertive; reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission; ranking low in a hierarchy or scale; insignificant, unpretentious; not costly or luxurious

8. Brotherly Love: "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

9. Justice: the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments; judge; the administration of law; especially; the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity; the quality of being just, impartial, or fair; the principle or ideal of just dealing or right action; conformity to this principle or ideal; righteousness; the quality of conforming to law; conformity to truth, fact, or reason

10. Perseverance: the action or condition or an instance of persevering; steadfastness

Persevere: to persist in a state, enterprise, or undertaking in spite of counter influences, opposition, or discouragement

11. Spirituality: This one was hard because almost all of the definitions relate to religion, and not as we know it: "Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for people who've been there." Here are the definitions (too long to post here): Spirituality, Spiritual, Spirit.

12. Service: the occupation or function of serving; help, use, benefit; contribution to the welfare of others; the act of serving; as a helpful act; useful labor that does not produce a tangible commodity.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby tomsteve » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 am

ThelonleyMango wrote:Is it willingness? Because I must DECIDE to turn my will and life,
And that can only be so if I'm willing to do so. Is that the spiritual principle of step 3?

as pointed out by roberth, the main principle of step 3 is faith- faith that there is an HP that will help me and continue with the rest of the steps.

the principle of each step helps us with the next step.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Here's a little story about decision making...

Two birds are sitting on a fence. One decides to fly to Florida. How many birds are sitting on the fence?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two. One of them merely made a decision.

Step three for me is merely a prayer. This is an action program and prayer IS an action. I need to practice it for a lifetime. I will never get it perfectly right, but I will get glimpses. NOTE: There is no "Amen" after the 3rd step prayer (pg 63) we say it in the morning and Live it throughout the day.

At the end of page 63 it gives us another Action. It says, "We launched out on a course of vigorous action..." So I suggest a quick countdown: Steps 3, 2, 1 Internalized... BLAST OFF!" Onto the Action of Step 4.

Get busy living or get busy dying. Put pen to paper as soon as you get some directions from a sponsor!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:56 am

Courage. Step 3 isn't submission to a Higher Power, it's having the courage to have faith in one.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:50 pm

When you're done listening to conflicting nonsense, what does the Big Book say?
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Angry1541 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 am

In my experience, as a life longer spiritual seeker, this on is always a struggle -- but the concept is simple. Don't rely on yourself, don't think YOU are powerful enough to do it alone. It's an acknowledgement that your (or any alcoholic/addict) willpower is not strong enough to gain sobriety and hold it. Intitially my high power was the group...then I started exploring organized religion and then ended up at a quasi-Buddhist kinda thing -- not suggesting this a the "RIGHT" was to approach it -- other than the first part -- you gotta let go of you reliance on self as the only source of strength and power.

At least that's how I saw it -- it's a negation of the ego.
~Chris

Just for today...

I am going to stay sober.
I am going to a meeting.
I am going smile and laugh.
I am going to refrain from taking my anger out on other people.
Angry1541
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tblue818 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 am

Step 3 - "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him."

Someone pointed out to me that I'd already done this step by getting sober from doing the first two steps - it was just asking me to Keep Trusting.

Step 3, for me, was about Trust. It was where I realized that my HP was Group of Drunks - they got me sober and kept helping me grow. The only question at Step 3 was whether I was willing to keep trusting them to help me through the next daunting Step 4. Did I think I would continue to receive encouragement and support? Had I let go of 'terminal uniqueness' in that my 4th was going to be worse than anyone else's in the history of AA? Was I willing to Trust the Process and keep moving toward the Promises?

Yes. Truuuuudge, Trudge. <g>

12x12 - Step 3 - "Any willing newcomer feels sure AA is the only safe harbor for the foundering vessel he has become. Now if this is not turning one's will and life over to a newfound Providence, then what is it?"
Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved.

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."
tblue818
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer