Hello

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Hello

Postby WittPeter1000 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:10 am

Hello,

I have a question. For a while I thought this was just coincidental, but lately I have noticed that this was pretty consistent. When I make the decision to buy alcohol I get a "head rush" kind of feeling. I feel kind of light-headed and dizzy for a bit before I head out to actually go buy it. Is this something that others have experienced? It's fairly surreal to me and now that I've considered how consistent it is I'm not really sure what to make of it.
WittPeter1000
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hello

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 am

Try to quit on your own. If you are an alcoholic, you will still buy it and drink. Your mind will come up with excuses for need to drink.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby WittPeter1000 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 am

Not really what I was looking for? I'm not interested in a generic response, more interested in a specific response to what I asked. I apologize if that is too demanding.
WittPeter1000
Forums Newcomer

Postby tomsteve » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 am

WittPeter1000 wrote:Not really what I was looking for? I'm not interested in a generic response, more interested in a specific response to what I asked. I apologize if that is too demanding.

hey wiit. glad youre here. to answer this question:
Is this something that others have experienced?

i think many of us have. i found it to be a part of a stage of alcoholism. id get a rush just thinking about the next drink.
eventually, as i sunk deeper into alcoholism, that rush was gone. eventually i no longer cared about getting a rush.
thats the progression of alcoholism.
i hope youre contemplating stopping.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:13 am

Oh yes, for about twenty years I drank every afternoon after work, I didn’t need to look at my watch to know when quitting time was near, my head would say peace of mind and fun are coming soon.

My guess is that you may be wanting to drink a lot of the time, who doesn't want to live permanently with the nice warm relaxed feeling a few drinks provide. We can’t do that all the time, but when we decide that we have an opportunity to do it, the mind does get excited.

The folks here lost the ability to pick and chose when we do it, and once we take one drink the plan of stopping at three or four goes out the window.

Thanks for the question, when you find you can’t choose when to drink, we are here to help.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:50 am

more interested in a specific response to what I asked. I apologize if that is too demanding.

So tell me, if we say yes that happened to us, is that going to help you? What is you intention?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby WittPeter1000 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm

I apologize for the way I responded. I shouldn't be flippant when I'm the one who came here asking questions. Looking at Brock and tomsteve's responses I realize that my initial post must look something like "Hey is this clear sign that I have a problem a sign of a problem?", and I guess my intention was to ask exactly that, so thank you guys for answering. I don't know if it will help me.
WittPeter1000
Forums Newcomer

Postby Roberth » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Hello Peter and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. I don’t know if it the same but here is what use to happen to me. Not having something to drink would for a lack of a better word, agitate me. I couldn’t wait to pop open a beer. Getting off of work and heading to the store I would get even more impenitent. After hitting the liquor store the ease and comfort of the first drink would kick in even before I drink anything. Just having it in my car would give me some peace of mind.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Angry1541 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:47 am

Hey man -- I can honestly say 'yes' -- I got a major buzz just going into the liquor store -- it was like I was giddy.

There's been studies with monkeys where they give the monkey something sweet for a long time, then they start to ring a bell before monkey the sweet thing, eventually they stop giving the sweet thing -- they looked a dopamine levels at each stage of this the and found the last stage (just the bell) was producing as much dopamine as the initial stage.

So the point is that anticipation of the reward itself was probably as much of buzz as the thing itself, so the thing itself no longer was the point, the anticipation was.

I also agree that if you're experiencing this, you're potentially on your way to an issue with alcohol, but I am not a hardliner and won't say for sure and argue against your question. I just wanted to answer your question with my experience AS AN ALCOHOLIC.

It's up to you to do with this information as you see fit, but I hope you best whatever comes.
~Chris

Just for today...

I am going to stay sober.
I am going to a meeting.
I am going smile and laugh.
I am going to refrain from taking my anger out on other people.
Angry1541
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer