I've made it 24 hours

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

I've made it 24 hours

Postby Anew day » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 pm

I've made it 24 hours! My biggest fear isn't the not drinking, it is the drawl systems. I'm ready to see dr in the morning.
Anew day
Forums Newcomer

Re: I've made it 24 hours

Postby Jojo2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Welcome Anew day.
Congratulations on 24 hours ~ that's how we all started. A new day indeed !
Good to hear you are seeing the doctor. The other good news is that you only have to experience withdrawal once and it does get better, one day at a time.
I remember someone alarming me about the possibility of seizures during one of my first meetings. I was queueing up when my GP surgery next opened! Fortunately, all was well and I resisted the temptation to have just one, just in case. A few people at the meeting had thought I might use that as an excuse. I also discovered that I hadn't really missed out by not going to rehab. Repeatedly, I have heard the ones who make it to AA reveal that rehab is discovery and AA is recovery.
I couldn't wait to get to my next meeting. I was fortunate to be able to attend meetings daily when I first stopped. For me, this helped enormously as both a distraction and a motivation. I didn't want to arrive drunk and I desperately wanted to know how it worked.
The Tuesday meeting was Big Book and the Wednesday meeting was a Step meeting. None of this meant anything to me initially, but I was a good listener and willing to follow suggestions. I soon found a sponsor to guide me through the Steps and I soon became the tea and coffee provider at the Step meeting. They even trusted me with a key and to bring the milk each week.
I was also advised to always have something sweet with me to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Alcohol is packed with sugar and our bodies crave that initially. We learn to get into a healthier routine of regular meals ( I previously relied on a liquid diet of alcohol for my calories), avoiding HALT Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired.
There is a really useful little book called 'Living Sober'. It is full of all the common sense I lacked when first sober.
Glad you are here.
Let us know how you get on.
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Postby escultore » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 am

Welcome!

I’m new, so I’ll refrain from giving advice! But I can sure give encouragement. Keep coming back. You’re doing awesome!

Get the the doctor and be well. Keep us updated.

Andy
escultore
Forums Newcomer

Postby Anew day » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 pm

I saw the dr. This morning and start my out patient treatment tonight. Six days a week out that plus at least two Aa meetings per week. I'll get some meds when I go back this afternoon noon for anxiety, but they say I should be through the worst of withdrawals since I had so few Sunday and only two Monday. And, it's been about forty hours since last drink.

Oh, and the reason for new anxiety meds is because my current are "mind altering", so I have to have something else during treatment.
Anew day
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Well done, if you like keep letting us know how you are going along, we all started this journey at one time ourselves, and wish you the very best.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Angry1541 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:52 am

Keep it up and participate as much as you can in treatment -- I found that until I engaged and approached it as a positive thing -- as something I needed to 'do' rather than 'hear' I got more out of it.

Afterward -- meetings, meetings, meeting. THe first year I did tons of meetings at least twice/three times a week. I went meetings where I was 30 years younger than all other people and didn't relate to them at all -- until I realized I did -- I was an alcoholic too.

IDK -- just stay engaged in your recovery and you CAN make it.
~Chris

Just for today...

I am going to stay sober.
I am going to a meeting.
I am going smile and laugh.
I am going to refrain from taking my anger out on other people.
Angry1541
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm

All good news! Keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Anew day » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks guys, I'm on day eight!
Anew day
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:01 am

Well done on the eight days, and also encouraging others in the thread about detox.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Return to For the Newcomer