First meeting

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

First meeting

Postby Anew day » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Went to my first meeting today and I'm so scared! I've read scary things about quitting cold turkey. But i don't want to talk to my dr. Or go to a in patient program.
Anew day
Forums Newcomer

Re: First meeting

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:35 am

I try and reflect back to my final night outside before my world changed and I can relate being scared, alone, full of fear and also thinking these idiots are judging me like another "one of those" . What I learned is all of my insecurities were and still are between my ears! Maybe sounds to good to be true but that is what I found. I've never forgotten my last drunk and that is the key to sobriety because I remember what it was like and what it is like now and I'll take the now anyday over the past when I drank.

People in the rooms used to say this: We'll love you until you can love yourself and it was extremely hinkey and for a while it was until I could see they meant it and they didn't want me to give up before the miracle.

As a reminder your drinking is much like going to meetings and I mean is you drank for all causes and never blinked an eye and so going to meetings and learning a new life without the mask of drinking will catch on.

Welcome and keep coming back.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 am

It depends on what you were drinking and how much. I got lucky, I downed on an average 4-6 pints of those high gravity beers (steel reserve) during the day and later on in the eve, few more if I have to sleep for few hours coupled with all the fear and anxiety of job performance. The shakes stopped in few weeks. But everybody is different. Its best to seek medical counseling. Keep going to meetings and also pick up that dark blue book called alcoholics anonymous. Lot of vital information in there.

If you dont find one, you can get a copy online and also read them online https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am

Welcome Anew day!

Not everybody goes to outpatient treatment. I didn't, I got sober through going to the meetings, getting a few phone numbers of women in the group and calling them, listening to how they stopped drinking and taking the advice of ones I trusted. It works!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 am

I’m having the same problem .... actually quitting. I don’t want to go to rehab… for many reasons but starting to think there might be no other way.
Blue
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 am

Welcome here, you are among friends who have been where you are, and found a way out via the program of AA.
 I've read scary things about quitting cold turkey.

Yes it can be dangerous, depending on the person and how much they drank. I don’t know why you don’t want to see your doctor that’s your business, but the standard for withdrawal whether at home or rehab, is doses of a tranquiler like Valium, taken every few hours for the first few days. I am not ‘playing doctor’ here, that information is available freely on web sites discussing withdrawal treatment. Our big book is pretty old, but there they also speak of using booze for this, in the chapter ‘working with others,’ -
...      Many of us keep liquor in our homes. We often need it to carry green recruits through a severe hangover. 

I have detoxed many times at home, when the pleadings of my wife got me to stop drinking for a while. And my all day every day habit meant I would lie in bed for usually three days, the first being the worse, shaking and feeling to throw up, and even with the Valium I often had to have a couple of beers to get through that first day.

Thank God I finally stopped punishing myself like that, and took AA and the steps seriously, my new life rocks, and my only regret is I didn’t do this sooner.

I would like you to change your mind about seeing the doctor, or at the very least cut down your drinking slowly day by day, after a few days, if you can survive, (no matter how much you want more), on a couple or three beers a day for a few days, your body should be ready for a complete stop. I also did this a couple of times, before I saw a doctor and got the benefit of the tranquilizers, which makes it much easier.

Once again I hope nobody here takes me to task for ‘playing doctor,’ which has happened in the past, I am speaking from personal experience, it’s part of my ‘story,’ and I am permitted to relay that.

Please ask any other questions or make any comments, we enjoy sharing our experience and it helps us as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello New Day and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Please be careful. You can experience anything from the shakes to a grand mal seizures while detoxing.
I got sober with my wife and she didn’t go into a rehab but she did need a 3 day inpatient detox. I was lucky and didn’t need a detox or rehab.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Anew day » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:52 pm

Sunday I "only" had four drinks, yesterday, "only" two, the last one being at eight last night. I haven't had anything today and have a dr appointment set for in the morning. I just want to lay in bed any do nothing. I'm sure work is wondering why I've been out a few days,
Anew day
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:18 pm

I am pleased you will be seeing the doctor, best to be safe than sorry, also pleased you cut the drinking almost completely, but maybe you should call work and make an excuse, even a white lie like having symptoms of the flu and not wanting to expose others to it.

Try not to spoil the discomfort of sobering up by thinking you can stop on your own, then failing and having to do it all over again. If you are a hard drinker and not an alcoholic you probably can, but for the ‘real’ alcoholic our literature describes, without the spiritual awakening the meetings should show you how to achieve via the steps, you will drink again, as sure as night follows day.

It may help if you keep in contact here and let us know how you are doing, and we would be glad to know, best of luck with the doctor tomorrow.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:53 pm

I didn't want to go to treatment; so I went to meetings. Treatment is going to take you to meetings also; so save your money. Unless you need medical detox.

But, work the program of recovery. There is a difference between abstinence and recovery.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Angry1541 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 am

Chris -- alcoholic.

So, I did treatment twice when I was young to mid-20s and it didn't take (other than when I did hit bottom I had that base to KNOW I hit bottom).

Seeing you doctor is good -- there's a few things they may want to do. I had a liver scan to check for issues (turns out there were issues thanks to my 16 beer a night).

The first can be scary -- I couldn't relate to them in 20s -- I was invincible then though. But know this -- ppl go to meeting to help each other. And, while they won't know you, they will accept you -- introduce yourself everyone if you can and participate if you can -- otherwise just listen. But go more than once...twice....30 times. Eventually you'll be the one welcoming someone that's scared to walk though that door.
~Chris

Just for today...

I am going to stay sober.
I am going to a meeting.
I am going smile and laugh.
I am going to refrain from taking my anger out on other people.
Angry1541
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer