Brand new - ideas for sponsor?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Brand new - ideas for sponsor?

Postby soberology » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and wanted to say hello. I'm female, married, no kids in my 30s and from the UK. I was always a social drinker but lost my dad 18 months ago (who was a recovered alcoholic), which sent it spiralling out of control. I managed to quit for 6 months but relapsed in September. I'm disappointed in myself because I was doing so well. I have severe social anxiety and have found face-to-face meetings near impossible. I desperately want to turn my life around. I've applied through this site for a temporary sponsor and I have the Big Book but I have no idea how to go about getting a proper sponsor. Ideally I'd like one to be virtual to begin with because of my anxiety. Any advice on how to do that I'd be so grateful. Thank you.
soberology
Forums Newcomer

Re: Brand new - ideas for sponsor?

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 am

Welcome to the board. You are taking the right step. The sponsorship committee shall assign one pretty soon. There are some great workshops on the big book. If you search for on on youtube you should find one. They were a great blessing for me. We don't understand the grave nature of the disease until you have someone who had already gone through the book help you with it. You talked about being disappointed, well, everybody thinks he/she has the capacity to stay sober on their own. We are rebels by nature. We start with a vigor but unfortunately we let the guard down and our mind tricks us into taking that 1st drink and then the craving kicks in. You can read Bill Story and see how he hits the peak and the downward spiral. No amount of will power could relieve him of his alcoholism. He always went back out. Until his friend visits him and shares what he did. You can read more stories in the chapter more about alcoholism. And again you see the mind playing the trick. That is the realization one should have before we start on the rest of the steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Brand new - ideas for sponsor?

Postby Jojo2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:53 am

soberology wrote:
I've applied through this site for a temporary sponsor and I have the Big Book but I have no idea how to go about getting a proper sponsor. Ideally I'd like one to be virtual to begin with because of my anxiety. Any advice on how to do that I'd be so grateful. Thank you.

Welcome to e-AA, soberology

Your request has been processed and you should hear soon from the sponsor assigned to you.

A temporary sponsor is a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous who is willing to share their experience, strength, and hope with another alcoholic as a way of service to help insure their own sobriety.

Their main function is to help guide the new person towards the 12 Steps, and also, where appropriate to help guide the new person to face to face meetings and a f2f sponsor in their local AA community.

An excellent introduction on sponsorship, permanent or temporary, with questions and answers, is this pamphlet
from GSO :

Questions and Answers on Sponsorship:

http://aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf

Please ask if you have further questions.
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer