Disgusted with alcohol?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Disgusted with alcohol?

Postby Nataliaesque » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 pm

Hello, friends! I have an odd question. I am a newcomber here and plan on detoxing at home on Monday after tapering down. My question is: has anyone become complety sickened with alcohol to the point where you want to throw up by just taking a sip? I have NEVER thrown up from drinking and I can drink A LOT! Is this possibly a sign of liver damage or am I so ready to quit that my mind is messing with me? It feels like my body is literally rejecting alcohol! That is a good thing, in my mind, but it concerns me as well. Thank you in advance ❤
Forums Newcomer

Re: Disgusted with alcohol?

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 am

Welcome to the board. The question is, have you found a solution to stay away from booze? The mind will always trick us back into taking that first drink.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
Trusted Servant

Re: Disgusted with alcohol?

Postby Brock » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 am

Hi Natali, and welcome here.

I am surprised about that wanting to throw up with just a sip, my Goggle search didn’t find much, except one site said sometimes people develop a sudden ‘allergy’ to alcohol, and it causes that. Us alcoholics say we have an allergy, but that relates to the fact that if we take one we can’t stop.

Detoxing at home is something I have a lot of experience with, because I have done it many times, stopping drinking every now and then to stop my wife from complaining. But I was an all day every day drinker, and it meant lying in bed for usually three days feeling sick and shaking, popping a 10mg Valium every few hours. Now I am not saying you need that, and most people will say don’t do it at home go to a rehab etc etc, but some people can’t afford that, both in time from work and money, and in my case I simply live in an area where they have no such thing. If you can see a doctor and get some Valium, taken as prescribed it is the standard medication to guard against dangers withdrawal sometimes present, and it makes detoxing a lot easier.

The trouble with all this is after a few days you feel good again, maybe think this drinking business is no big deal I can stop, and you can for a while. But our literature says alcohol is cunning baffling and powerful, and I promise you that after a while you will find living without it sucks, and then you will start again. So the AA program, most important THE PROGRAM not the meetings, fixes those things which have us wanting to drink, and we find the feeling to drink goes away completely, and it has a side effect, a good one, we feel more peaceful than ever before.

You should go to meetings, try a few if you have them in your area, like anything else we feel more comfortable in some than others. Especially go to ones where people talk about the program and the steps, and not just their troubles at home or work. If you like please post any questions here, or just let us know how you are going, if you give this program an honest shot you will love the results, I will put some links to literature that maybe you can read when you have time.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.

3.More About Alcoholism.

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Forums Coordinator

Return to For the Newcomer