Non religious?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Non religious?

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 am

In the appendix on Spiritual Experience in the back of the book, it mentions "an unsuspected inner resource."
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Blue Moon wrote: I've known alcoholics in AA who won't get sober until they get off their knees. Recovery is about action.

That's me! I did not believe in any god and even if they did believe one did not exist. So I had to ask myself, that beyond fooling themselves, what are these people who have happy sobriety DOing?

Then I set about doing what they did until I could clump together something of a HP in Good Orderly Direction, Group of Drunks or AA... not a door knob, I can manipulate THAT. AA gave me Good Orderly Direction in the way of a Sponsor taking me through the Steps.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby BrendaChenowyth » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Don't be so quick to judge AAs because we claim our higher power has helped us, because you don't know exactly what that higher power is to each one of us. Every person sitting in a room can have a different concept of God and a different take on religion.
BrendaChenowyth
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Canada1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Very good replies above, I won't add to them but offer some literature.

There's a book called "Waiting - A Nonbeliever's Higher Power" by Marya Hornbacher. She is Agnostic and the book is a memoir of her journey through recovery and the 12 steps. Absolutely worth a read for anyone who doesn't identify with an organized religion and trying to relate or connect with a higher power.
Canada1
Forums Newcomer

Postby gaftech » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 pm

You mentioned that you went to ONE meeting and that it was too religious. Perhaps you could try a different meeting. I don't know how many there are in your area, but there are lots in mine and I attended several different meetings before I found one where I was comfortable not only with the message they were conveying and how they were conveying it, but comfortable around the people at that particular meeting. Some meetings were significantly more "religion" based than others, but the one I settled on had a nice blend of people with different thoughts about their HP.

I sent you a PM with a link to a book that blends AA concepts with Buddhist meditation concepts ("One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps" by Kevin Griffin, a recovering alcoholic himself). In it, he explains his concept of a HP and how he dealt with it. I think you might find it interesting. I suggest you do an online search concerning AA, the 12 steps, and a higher power...there's a lot of information out there and many different ideas about how people interpret a HP.

However, the bottom line is that IMHO you need to attend more that one meeting, go to as many different meetings as you can until you find one you're comfortable with. When you're at these meetings, don't just concentrate on the HP aspect of the meeting, try to look past that and listen to the stories of how people beat their addiction. Go to these meetings with an open mind and let the message of not drinking soak in. When you're on your own, do your own research into AA, the 12 steps, HP and the many different ways people have overcome this particular roadblock to their recovery. Do all of this while not taking that first drink, one day at a time, one hour at a time if you need to.

Come back and let us know how you're doing.
gaftech
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tblue818 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:30 pm

PaigeB wrote:
Blue Moon wrote: Then I set about doing what they did until I could clump together something of a HP in Good Orderly Direction, Group of Drunks or AA... not a door knob, I can manipulate THAT. AA gave me Good Orderly Direction in the way of a Sponsor taking me through the Steps.

"Not a door knob" made me chuckle. While searching for an HP, someone mentioned that 'someone' had used a door knob. Another had used the cross-town bus. The cross-town bus was chosen because, "That bus could go right past the liquor store...and I couldn't."

The door knob HP explanation eluded me. Then one day in early sobriety I felt 'off', antsy, needed to GO. I grabbed my car keys and headed down the stairs. Put my hand on the front door knob and heard, "Are you heading toward sobriety or away from it?" I thought for a moment and said to myself, "I don't know." While standing there, I realized that if I didn't have a purpose for going out, didn't know where I was going....I could end up anywhere. I turned around, went back upstairs, and proceeded to peel the onion of my discontent. The door knob never became an HP, but it did become a valuable tool.

jbirdy - There is a natural tendency for newcomers to suffer from "terminal uniqueness". Like I was the only person who arrived in AA with a 'God allergy'. From resistance to downright revulsion...millions of us were once there.

And I'd be surprised if that would be the only 'rub'. :) I found plenty to complain about. Then one day someone wrote: "If you're looking for a way out of AA, there are hundreds of exits...just pick one. The the object, however, is to look as hard as you can for a Way In." I followed that suggestion, found my 'hook', and the amazing journey began.

AA is a Spiritual Program. If you really want a 'sanitized' AA group, they exist. Never-ending while-knuckle sobriety holds no appeal, for me.

Hope you will reconsider.

Best wishes,

Pamela
dos 8/98
Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved.

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."
tblue818
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer