Hey everyone

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Hey everyone

Postby jbirdy179 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Hey I am new to all this. I've been to 1 AA meeting, the only issue is with my work schedule it is sometimes hard to make it to a certain group. I work overnights and have inconsistent days off. Honestly, no one has told me that I have a problem. But I recognize that I have one. I have anxiety and I use alcohol to calm my anxiety. I have tried so many prescription medications but I didn't like the way any of them made me feel. But I love the way alcohol does. Since I work overnights when I get out at 7AM I will have a bottle of wine, and if I don't work that night I will fall asleep and drink another bottle when I wake up. I know I can't keep doing this to my body but I can't stop. I did stop at one point, after getting into an argument with my BF for getting too drunk at a party. I went to a meeting and I was fine for about a month until my birthday, I had some wine because, hey, it's my birthday. That was September and I've been drinking since. And the holidays are especially hard since everyone in my family drinks at family gatherings. Basically I need something to change but I can't control myself
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hey everyone

Postby Brock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Welcome here jbirdy.

I think it’s very good you recognize the problem before doing too much damage, many of us ended up hurting others and ourselves, with a list of people to make amends to in the steps.

The example of you being able to stop for a month is common, but it’s staying stopped that’s the problem, more importantly staying stopped and enjoying life. AA meetings should introduce us to the steps of the program, because that’s where the solution is found.

I would have thought that you might find meetings before you start work at night, if you can’t just go to those you can make. Many of us found listening to AA speaker tapes helpful, I find the easiest site for this is you tube, just type in ‘AA Speakers,’ there are many to choose from and choose the ones which appeal to you. Some of the more popular speakers are Sandy B, Peter M, Bob D, and the no nonsense fellow Chris R.

You can ask any other questions here, or let us know how things are going with you, we enjoy answering and it helps us as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Get serious about "working" the program.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby gaftech » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 am

Welcome jbirdy,

I also work nights, 7pm to 7am, and when I was drinking I'd stop by the store on my way home, pick up some beer, then immediately start drinking when I got home. I never drank before I went to work, although many times I probably still had enough alcohol in my system to get busted had I been pulled over on the way to work. Because I got off at 7am, I used that as an excuse to drink in the morning EVERY morning, whether I had to go to work that night or not. I did that for about 15 years, until I finally had enough last October 16th and got myself some help via a local detox/rehab center.

I don't know who your employer is, but most of them have a help line you can call to get yourself into a similar center, like I did. While I just needed to detox for 5 days, perhaps you might consider a longer rehab stay, where they can help you to figure out where you're at mentally and emotionally, and give you the tools you need to begin you're recovery, one of which attending is attending AA meetings and plays a large role in your recovery.

If you decide you can't, or do not want to take that route, meetings are definitely a must. Personally, I attend meetings on my days off and am able to get to 3 meetings a week at the least, 6-8 meetings if I really feel the need to do so. In my area of North Texas, there are lots of meetings at all times of the day and evening, so getting to one is not really an issue. The point is to actually get to a meeting.

You've already made a big step in realizing you have a problem with alcohol, the next step is just to go to another meeting. Don't think about how many meetings you need to attend each week, or whether you need to go to this meeting or that meeting. Just find the one closest to you that meets on one of your days off and attend it. Once there, you are not required to speak at the meeting, just sit and listen to what others have to say. If you're nervous, that's okay, just sit in the chair closest to the door and listen. You are under no obligation to stay for the whole meeting (although I encourage you to do so), nor are you under any obligation to speak to anyone (again, I encourage you to do so. They don't bite, I promise!).

You said you've been to one meeting already, so you know that they'll ask if there are any newcomers. If you haven't already, go ahead and introduce yourself. It can be as short as "Hi, my name is jbirdy." (I dare you to use that name =biggrin ), or as long as you choose to make it. The only thing anyone will say is "Welcome!". If the group is anything like my group, they may approach you after the meeting and hand you an envelope with AA literature in it and the names and phone numbers of people there that are willing to take your call and answer any questions you have at any time of the day or night.

On your way home, think about what was said at the meeting. Did anything anyone had to say resonate with you? If so, think about what they said and examine how it reflects and/or mirrors your experiences with drinking. No need to do any heavy thinking, just let it swirl around in your brain for a bit. If you feel the need to "talk" about it, come back here and post your thoughts and/or questions. Like Brock said, we enjoy answering and it helps us in the process. Or perhaps pick up the phone and call one of the people on the envelope if you were handed one.

I think everyone here will agree that once you have taken in the first meeting, plan to attend the next meeting and only that meeting. Don't plan out a whole week or month of meetings, just that next meeting. Done this way, the only thing you have to worry about is one meeting at a time. What you get out of each meeting will vary from meeting to meeting and place to place, and what you do with that information will be up to you, but know this...we are all here to answer any question you have.The people in those meetings are also there to help you on this journey...you are not alone. We hope to hear from you soon.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Mike O » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:52 am

Welcome jbirdy,

You've identified your problem.
Get a copy of the Big Book and get started on the 12 steps. You can begin to work the programme at home.
Go to meetings, of course, but do not rely totally on them - they alone are not the programme, the 12 steps is the programme.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 am

I had some wine because, hey, it's my birthday.

Yep, can relate to that. Read the stories in the big book, it all starts with the mind coming up with an excuse to drink. And we succumb to that thought. We have no defense against the first drink. The defense comes with the deep realization that our mind is warped when it comes to alcohol. And then we can start looking at the solution.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer