Question I need answered.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Question I need answered.

Postby ThelonleyMango » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:18 pm

How do I know when one has worked the third step?
and apparently the answer is simple and is in the big book?
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Question I need answered.

Postby Brock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:02 pm

Mango, it may be that someone has given you a project to find this in the book, but so far nobody seems to have the answer. In the other thread there were I believe some good answers, my favorite is D’oh saying - “When one becomes content, serene, peaceful with Life on Life's terms...You can Sense when someone has "It" These don’t say where in the book it’s found, so you may have to say you can’t find it. Please let us know the answer, when your sponsor or whoever asked you the question tells you.

Maybe someone else will have an idea where in the book the answer lies, I am stumped, but thanks for the question.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:02 pm

ThelonleyMango wrote:How do I know when one has worked the third step?
and apparently the answer is simple and is in the big book?

After you say the prayer and mean it.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 pm

I agreed with Spirit.

Once the 3rd Step Prayer is said, the 3rd Step is over and action needs to be taken. Still, I have to remind myself everyday that the 3rd Step is complete. I start my day with the 3rd Step prayer.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Hello Mango. I don’t know about anyone else, but for me the first 3 months I wasn’t sure AA would work for me. On March 27 1992 the obsession hit me and I wanted to drink more than I ever remember. I told my wife to take me to a meeting or I was going to a liquor store. She took me to a meeting and then it happen. I heard my story coming out of someone else’s mouth. I knew this A&A thing would work for me. It wasn’t all things he had done to get sober and to stay sober it was the fact that he was like me and was sober. I made a commitment to AA to keep coming back drunk, sober or crazy.

Right then and there the obsession to drink was lifted and hasn’t returned.. My sponsor told me that I had done my second and third steps. I came to believe and made my decision. He told me that doing what the big book says is lot better than just reading about what to do.

They the longest journey is the one from the head to the heart and that was the path of that decision.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 am

ThelonleyMango wrote:How do I know when one has worked the third step?

When you're working on your 4th Step, you know you've done your 3rd Step.

Another way to say that I've turned my will and my life over to God of my understanding, is to turn my will and my life over to the steps.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer