New Year

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

New Year

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi,

Just passing along something I heard in early sobriety that makes a lot of sense to me: keep up the good work in the New Year. Relapses can spike in January because of all that "white-knuckling" when the "amateurs" are out making idiots of themselves. It's easy to relax and get complacent , "I got this sobriety thing sorted now". It's also easy to kid ourselves that those "amateurs" are having as much of a wonderful time as they want others to think... how many Facebook posts have you ever seen that say "Yay, I got a DUI last night!"?

IMO, the New Year can also seem daunting. Another 12 months looms ahead, dark and forboding. Instant doom'n'gloom.

The solution? Keep it all in the day, in the here and now. Jan 1st is just another day. The road to recovery isn't travelled until we're no longer struggling with such things. Then you will know what freedom feels like. Don't quit before the miracle.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Re: New Year

Postby Brock » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 am

Walk In Dry Places

A year to grow.
Growth.
This new year can be a time of growth in sobriety. While we have no crystal ball that tells us what luck and fortune the year will bring, we do have a program that gives us the power to make the best of this year, to grow in sobriety. We can make progress in overcoming resentment and selfishness, we can help others in their search for happy sobriety, and we can make better use of our talents and opportunities.
We can live sober, and we also can find happiness and true self-esteem in sobriety. In our drinking, a desperate search for happiness and self-esteem compelled us to drink, but we could never find our happy destiny in the bottle. No matter what came to us, things had a way of turning sour as we continued to drink and to take other harmful substances.
In our new life, we have good reason to feel confident and optimistic. We have friends who understand us; we have sponsors who will share with us their own experience and hope. We have a Higher Power who is, as the poet Tennyson said, "closer to us than breathing, and nearer than hands and feet." We face nothing alone, and in the new year all experiences can help us grow.
I face this day with confidence, courage, and optimism. I will know that my Higher Power is present in every person and situation.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:12 pm

I went to Step Study meetings where they focused on a Step each month. The Daily Reflection (sorta) does this too. It was good to break the year up into 12 months to keep the Steps fresh in my mind, no matter what Step I was on with my sponsor.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Daily Resolutions

The idea of "twenty-four-hour" living applies primarily to the emotional life of the individual. Emotionally speaking, we must not live in yesterday, nor in tomorrow.
As Bill Sees It, p. 284

A New year: 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes--a time to consider directions, goals, and actions. I must make some plans to live a normal life, but also I must live emotionally within a twenty-four hour frame, for if I do, I don't have to make New Year's resolutions! I can make every day a New Year's day! I can decide, "Today I will do this . . . Today I will do that." Each day I can measure my life by trying to a little better, by deciding to follow God's will and making an effort to put the principles of our A.A. program into action.

Although "We" may not have a Crystal Ball, "We" Do receive through working the Steps, a belief that "If we ask for assistance Daily, that "We" will be granted everything "We" need to get through that Day."

As baffling as His Will might be at times.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Dee487 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:14 am

Happy New Year to All...ODAAT
I'm so happy for another chance at life, at living, being of service/ maximum service to God & others, and others don't only mean fellow AA's. In my sober living I have to be service to all.......
Dee487
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 am

Happy new year and welcome to the forums Dee, enjoying your posts.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Return to For the Newcomer