Denial.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Denial.

Postby marthamaree » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Denial gets talked about a lot but I had no idea how deeply intertwined with alcoholism it is until just recently.
It seems an alcoholic brain will tell an alcoholic anything just to have a drink. For me it is sneaky and just seems to be at the edge waiting for a chance. I thought I was going well but them boom I get drinking thoughts. I am not drinking though. The meetings really help.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Denial.

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:26 am

These sudden thoughts is what the book terms it as peculiar mental twist. We need to talk about this more an more in meetings. True powerlessness is getting caught in those thought streams and succumbing to that and picking up that first drink. The book also talks about our mind gets clouded with the hazy thoughts, consequences don't come into the picture. And we pick up. The battle is over there.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:17 am

marthamaree wrote: For me it is sneaky and just seems to be at the edge waiting for a chance.

Well put, like a little evil elf hiding and peeping, waiting for a chance, cunning baffling and powerful. Via the steps we get the power to chase him off, he may still come around now and then, but he has lost his power over us, and we can just smile at him.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:48 am

“We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.”

Actually denial is a step up….. LOL….. The delusion actually about how it is going to be different next time. The thought of maybe if I do this or that I can handle it…..at 25 years I still get a thought that a cold beer sure would taste good right now. But the obsession isn’t there and there is no doubt what will happen if I take that drink.

When I was new I would think more about drinking during a meeting than I would outside the meeting. I asked my sponsor about it and me that because they are talking about drinking. Boy do I like to complicate things.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:40 am

Alcoholics have better chance if they quickly realize that procrastination will lead them back to the first drink.Self-knowledge and Fear will not fix it. The book illustrates this using Bills Story and other stories in the More about alcoholism. Bill sees that and was ready to give up when Ebby walks back into his life with a solution. And Bill applies the principles finally on his 3rd trip to the hospital.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 am

Before I got to an AA meeting I had come a long way in understanding what alcoholism is and I knew I was one. Then at that meeting when the ladies there talked about their own efforts to stop drinking and their own powerlessness to do so, I could admit that honestly I was as hopeless and if I didn't find the answers in the program of recovery offered in the steps I was done for. It got easier after that.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 pm

I wasn't in denial. I would tell you straight out I was an alcoholic. I think I identify more with "being blind" to the Truth. I did not really know the phenomena of craving or the mental twist that made alcohol my go to solution for everything.

I became a little more free after taking the first part of the 1st Step on Page 30 of the Big Book. Then I had to decide how I wanted to proceed with my disease. Would I go onto the bitter end? Or, would I give AA and the Steps another chance?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 am

Denial is that river in Egypt! This topic is one that really never leaves us a people. Even being honest and transparent I believe that denial can linger in the back ground and time can reveal our situation and I believe this is one of my character defects that is a daily effort to work as I might be in my sub conscience mind denying something as to not address an issue that is needling me.

Wow---- got me taking a time out for self review of a thing I have been going through and checking my inner motives on my agenda.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer